MJH PARENT NEWSLETTER
AUGUST 2022-2023 Back to School Edition
IMPORTANT DATES: August 2022
- 2-4: Volleyball camp at MJH gym from 5-7 p.m. Sign up link below.
- 5: Football equipment pickup (7th gr 4-5:30 pm) (8th gr 5:30-7 pm)
- 8: 6th grade Schedule Pickup 4:30-6:30 p.m. (4:30-5:00 parent info meeting in gym)
- 9: 7/8 grade Schedule Pickup 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- 11: First Day of school
- 12:Jr. Belle parent Meet and Greet the new director 5:00 pm after Jr. Belle practice
- 15:Grade Level Informational Meetings on campus - for students only
- 22:Football parent meeting 5:30 p.m.
- 23:Choir Parent meeting: 5:30pm for sixth grade/6:30pm for 7th/8th grade (cafeteria)
- 24: Volleyball parent mtg in cafeteria 4:15 p.m.
- 25:7th grade Girls Scoliosis screening
- 25:Cross Country parent meeting at 5:30 p.m. in cafeteria
- 26:8th grade Boys Scoliosis screening
- 29: 6th grade Meet the Teacher 6:00-7:30 p.m. More info to come
- 30: 7/8 grade Meet the Teacher 6:00-7:30 p.m. More info to come
MESSAGE FROM MRS. CHAPMAN
With the summer break coming to a close, I want to take this opportunity to welcome you and your children back to school. If you are new to the MJH family, we are grateful to have you with us this year. Our first day of school, Thursday, August 11, is quickly approaching. I certainly hope that you have had a relaxing and enjoyable summer - it has definitely been a hot one. I know I speak for the MJH staff, when I say that we are looking forward to beginning the school year with our bears and continuing to work collaboratively with our school community.
As you begin getting ready for the upcoming school year, we ask that you please complete the required online back to school registration paperwork. This is available for you on the MISD website by clicking on the Skyward Family Access tab. Student schedules will not be released without the completed online forms or any outstanding charges related to laptops, library books, cafeteria balances, required immunization, uniforms not returned, and annual affidavits for specific parents. We will have computer labs and staff available on schedule pick up day if you need assistance completing your online paperwork.
MJH Schedule Pickup Dates are:
- August 8 from 4:30-6:30 - 6th grade schedule pickup
- August 9 from 4:30-6:30 - 7th & 8th grade schedule pickup
We can't wait to see our students at schedule pickup and welcome them back on the first day of school, August 11, 2022! GO BEARS!
Angie Chapman, Principal
MESSAGE FROM OUR ASSISTANT PRINCIPALS
This year, each parent newsletter will address a few conduct reminders that we observe often on campus, so you can assist us by speaking with your student about our expectations on campus. We believe being proactive will help decrease inappropriate behavior. We always appreciate your support and partnership in your child's education and look forward to a great year!
NEW DISTRICT CELL PHONE POLICY
"Electronic device use (including cell phones) at Montgomery I.S.D. campuses will be permitted ONLY in the common areas of the campus (hallways, cafeteria, & outside eating area) before school, during passing periods, during the student’s lunch period, and after school. Use of electronic devices in the classroom is strictly prohibited. All electronic devices must be turned off, silenced, and not visible prior to a student entering any classroom or other instructional environment, including, but not limited to, the auditorium and the gymnasium. A student leaving the building to use an electronic device is strictly prohibited.
Expectations with regard to cell phone use may vary from classroom to classroom. A teacher has discretion to determine cell phone use in an individual classroom, and students must respect the expectations and procedures articulated by an individual teacher. Teachers may choose for students to utilize their electronic device for instructional purposes. Students must follow the teacher’s guidelines in regards to its use and may not use the device for any other purpose during that time period; this would include, but not be limited to texting, phone calls, photographing/ videoing unauthorized web browsing, and social networks."
NEW STUDENT BADGE INFORMATION
We are so excited to introduce badges this year in Montgomery ISD!
Why is a badge important? It boosts confidence, while providing safety and accountability to every school campus. A name badge can instill confidence in your student as we are giving them authority to represent their school.
All students will receive a new badge and lanyard this school year. It is a Montgomery ISD expectation that all students wear their ID badge appropriately around their neck throughout the entire school day. Students who lose or deface their badge will need to purchase a replacement from our AP’s office. If the badge is lost, students will need to get a replacement from their AP’s office. Temporary sticker badges are available if a student forgets their badge at home on any given day. In addition, there will be replacement costs for temporary badges, new badges, and/or lanyards. Each grade level will wear a different color lanyard.
As a reminder: Any student who refuses to wear their ID will face disciplinary action in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct.
Thank you for your support as we help keep our campus safe. More information to come.
SECONDARY DRESS CODE FROM STUDENT HANDBOOK:
Updated Dress Code Guidelines
Students will be expected to keep themselves well-groomed and neatly dressed at all times. Any form of dress or hairstyle that is contrary to good hygiene or which is considered a distraction or disruptive to the purpose and conduct of the school will not be permitted. Dress shall not create a health or other hazard to the students’ safety.
The dress code for Montgomery I.S.D. includes, but is not limited to, the following:
• Shorts, skirts, leggings, or dresses must be modest with normal movement.
• Shorts may be worn provided they are mid-thigh or longer. Shorts, pants and jeans must have no holes or cutouts above the mid-thigh.
• Revealing clothes may not be worn to school, including but not limited to: blouses/dresses that are strapless, transparent, low-cut, backless, off the shoulder, halter top, or spaghetti straps. Undergarments should not be visible. No stomachs should be visible with normal movement.
• No head coverings such as hats, caps, doo-rags, bandanas or hoods are to be worn in any school building at any time.
• Raincoats, trench coats and other full-length over-garments worn to school due to inclement weather must be stored in the locker or AP office. Such garments may not be worn inside the building.
• Extreme hair styles or distracting hair colors will be addressed by administration. Mustaches and beards may be worn if neat and trimmed.
• Students may not wear clothing or have visible tattoos that displays vulgar, lewd, or obscene writing or images and may not wear emblems that advertise or depict tobacco, alcohol, drugs, or weapons. Pants may not be excessively baggy or hang below the natural waistline.
• Noisy or distracting jewelry or accessories may not be worn. Except for earrings or small nose studs, all other types of facial piercing, tongue studs and/or visible body piercings are prohibited. Chains of any length or size (including wallet chains) are not allowed. Sunglasses may not be worn in building. Leashes of any kind are not permissible.
• Costumes of any kind are prohibited, including furries and/or tails.
• It is never appropriate for students to wear house slippers, pajamas, or bedclothes to school. Students should never bring blankets or pillows.
Each year there are “fads” that show up on our campuses. We are neither listing these nor making a regulation to cover all problems that may arise. When a fad starts on a campus and becomes a distraction, it shall be immediately eliminated. It is impractical to list every possibility of dress and grooming. The administration of each campus shall apply the dress code and make all final decisions regarding what is acceptable and appropriate.
Violations of the dress code will result in the student being sent to an assistant principal’s office. On the first offense, the violation will be corrected as soon as possible, parents/guardians will be contacted and may need to bring compliant article of clothing. The first offense will result in a warning. The second offense will follow the aforementioned procedure except discipline consequence will be issued. The third offense will require an in-person parent conference and student will be placed in ISS for the remainder of the school day. Student may be assigned additional consequences for excessive non-compliance.
No student will be allowed to return to class until they are in compliance with the dress code policy. If a parent/guardian cannot bring clothing to remedy a violation, the student will be placed in ISS for the remainder of the school day.
If a student fails to report to the office when instructed, they will receive the appropriate discipline consequence for insubordination.
The final determination of what is disruptive or distracting shall be made by the principal or assistant principal. Parents and students who disagree shall follow the procedure for appeals (Board Policy FNG).
Infractions of the dress code will result in the student being sent to the office. On the first offense, the violation will be corrected as soon as possible, a warning will be issued, and student will be sent to class. Second offense will follow the procedures mentioned above except discipline consequence will be issued and parent contacted. Three or more offenses will result in parent coming to school to correct violation or the student being sent to ISS for the remainder of the day and a discipline consequence assigned. Any violation that cannot be corrected in the above mentioned manner will result in the student being placed in ISS for the remainder of the day.
Stop the Prop - Keep MISD Safe!
See Something, Say Something! Report anything suspicious...
MESSAGE FROM OUR COUNSELORS
If your child would like to request a schedule change, he or she will need to go to the counseling office and pick up a schedule change form during the first week of school. This form will need to be signed by the student and the parent and brought back to the counseling office. Schedule changes may be requested for elective or athletic class changes or students wanting to change from Advanced to level or level to Advanced class. Schedule changes will not be made to request a lunch or teacher change.
If you have any questions for your child's counselor, you can contact them by phone or email.
- 6th grade Counselor email: Tressie.Stewart@misd.org
- 7th grade Counselor email: Barbara.Gagliano@misd.org
- 8th grade Counselor email: Lesa.Dunbar@misd.org
A MESSAGE FROM THE NURSE
7th grade parents: A reminder that if we have not received a valid copy of your child’s required immunizations listed below, please submit a copy to our nurse this week so we can update our records.
1. Tdap (within 5 years of 7th grade enrollment date) (Dtap, dtp, tdap or DT, Td is acceptable if a medical contraindication to pertussis exists)
2. Meningococcal (on or after the student’s 11th birthday) (MCV4)
If you are having trouble getting into your doctor for shots, Express Family Clinic in Montgomery by April Sound can assist you in a timely manner.
Please feel free to contact Mrs. Buckner if you have any questions or concerns at email@example.com or 936-276-3309.
RETURNING STUDENT REGISTRATION
Please be sure to complete the returning student registration online form before school begins. Go to the MISD website and click on the "Skyward Family Access" tab. This will need to be completed before your student will receive their schedule at schedule pickup.
IMPORTANT BACK TO SCHOOL INFORMATION:
BUS POLICY/CAR RIDER LINE
All traffic coming to MJH during the morning drop-off period and the afternoon pick-up period must use the car rider loop. Students can be dropped off beginning at 6:30 a.m.
Lockers can be checked out on an individual basis at schedule pickup.
For information on school lunches, please click on https://www.misd.org/departments/child_nutrition.
MISD is not offering free breakfast and lunches for all students this year.
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
FREE & REDUCED LUNCH
Click on the link below to complete the online information to see if your child qualifies for free and reduced lunch.
The Parent-Student Handbook is available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Dress code will be enforced. Please review the dress code policy enclosed.
MJH CAMPUS WEBSITE
Please visit the MJH campus website throughout the year to access information and explore our links to find out more about our school. www.misd.org – Montgomery Junior High School
One of the many strengths of MJH is the large number of students involved in co-curricular activities. Students who become involved in the school broaden their experiences and increase their enjoyment of junior high school. Whether it is athletics, theater, music, student council or clubs, I encourage you to participate in one or more student activities. A list of clubs can be found on our website.
Pre-packaged school supplies were sold online and for those that purchased them, they will be mailed to your home. If you need the school supply list, it can be found on our campus website on the center of the front page.
Most textbooks will either be available online or issued for at-home use. Books that are issued for at-home use will not have to be carried to and from school. Back packs are optional. No rolling backpacks are allowed unless under doctor orders.
Girls and Boys athletics will be handing out uniforms, athletic locker numbers & collecting physicals when students come back to school. Parents will need to complete the Rank One online paperwork. For questions, contact Girls Athletic Coordinator @ firstname.lastname@example.org
or Boys Athletic Coordinator @ email@example.com.
FOOTBALL EQUIPMENT PICKUP: August 5: 4:00 p.m. 7th gr. & 5:30 p.m. - 8th gr.
MONTHLY PARENT LETTER
A monthly parent letter is emailed to all parents each month. If you are not receiving the letter, please call our registrar at rana.miller@ misd.org to make sure your email is up to date in our system.
MEET THE TEACHER
A letter and student schedule will be sent home with your child and mailed home a week before Meet the Teacher to explain our process for that evening.
6th grade: August 29 - 6:00-7:30 p.m.
7/8 grade: August 30 - 6:00-7:30 p.m.
MJH SOCIAL MEDIA
Follow us on twitter- @mjhsbears and Instagram- mjhsbears or on MJH PTO Facebook to get involved and see all the great things happening at MJH! Click our links below.
DROPPING OFF STUDENT LUNCH/ITEMS
A parent drop off table is provided in the front foyer for students that forgot to bring lunches or other items to school. Be sure to text your student you brought the item to school.
STUDENT DROP-OFF AND PICK-UP PROCEDURES:
All traffic coming to MJH during the morning drop-off period and the afternoon pick-up period must use the Car Rider Loop.
The faculty entrance is used for MJH faculty and substitutes only.
The faculty and visitor parking lot will be accessed by using the Car Rider Loop as well. During morning student drop-off AND afternoon student pick-up, no traffic will be permitted to enter through the Car Rider Exit. Traffic on the car rider loop is in one direction only. Please plan your time accordingly. Students can be dropped off beginning at 6:30. Parking and access to the school is extremely limited during the morning hours and students will be counted tardy if they are late first period.
Bus Entrance: The bus entrance will only be used for buses at all times of the day. For the safety of our students, please do not enter the bus entrance for convenience or to save time.
The back parking lot is for faculty only and all other traffic should refrain from using it.
CAR RIDER LINE - MORNING & AFTERNOON
AFTER SCHOOL CAR RIDER PICKUP LINE: For those new to our car rider line, we ask that you stop at the sign posted stop sign before you pull up to the car rider line. Right before the dismissal bell at 2:30 p.m., cars will then pull up to the car rider line loading zone. We ask this so our early dismissal students and parents are able to be picked up and are not held up by the dismissal traffic of our car rider parents.
2022-2023 SCHOOL SUPPLY LIST - (printable copy on MJH webpage)
ATHLETICS: FALL SPORTS INFO.
JR HIGH SPORTS WILL BEGIN FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL
- Football: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Volleyball: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN mjh PTO
Please join our PTO. The membership form is online on the MJH PTO website at the link below.
- Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page as well.