Fifth Grade PEAK
Friday, March 13
- We are finishing writing our feature magazine articles. We have two more days to write, edit and publish. If your child is not finished with his/her article by March 27
- Students need an authentic piece of research to include in the article- some kids have written surveys, some have written interview questions, others have designed observational research. Please ask your child what he/she plans to do to complete the authentic research component. A few students are struggling with ideas. It has been exciting for the students who have created surveys and sent them out - to look at the responses and analyze the results. We have also had a few students write interview questions to give to an expert in the field.
Math: Students work at their own pace through a series of algebraic lessons.
Science: We announced winners today and enjoyed a Sunkist together!
Topic Study: Students are working on finishing one project to share at the end of the year. We are striving for depth and complexity of knowledge. Your child should be an expert about his/her topic.
Personal Growth and Development
- Self- Regulation Goal Setting: Students learned about self-regulating behaviors such as:
extend effort when faced with challenge
be able to focus for long periods of time
set specific goals
adapt efforts to the task
These self regulating behaviors help students:
2. Improve your motivation
3. Control your cognitive strategies for learning
- Personality Style inventories: Students are completing a series of personality inventories. After each inventory, students write reflections and discuss outcomes with peers. Our purpose is to focus on ourselves as learners and learn how to maximize our learning opportunities and get along with our peers.
Topics covered so far include:
- Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic motivation
- Optimism vs. Pessimism
- Introvert vs. Extrovert
- Learning Style Inventory (Auditory, Kinesthetic, Visual)
- Online Learning Style Inventory (Multiple Intelligence Theory)
- Personality object (Blackberry, Teddybear, Magnifying Glass, and Spinning Top)
- Communication Style #1 and Communication Style #2
- Right Brain vs. Left Brain
- How many Personas do you have? (public vs. private)
- Students read chapter 1-5 in the book: What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough - the real deal on perfectionism. We discussed actions, thoughts, and feelings of Perfectionists. We also identified the differences between trying to do well and perfectionism. Another topic we discussed: how to lighten ones "perfectionist" load.
- Students worked on their own Google Site -- we will use it as a portfolio to house PEAK work
- Students participated in an on-line quiz game that tested students' knowledge on the scientific method. The students have learned a lot about science this year!!!!
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up an account for our note taking research
- Online Graphic Organizer tool to organize headings and subheadings
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account -- many have completed a vocabulary presentation in topic study via Powtoons.
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. We will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some even make it to real twitter.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study