Sequoia Elementary Newsletter
School News and Updates
And just like that, the 2018-2019 school year has come to an end. As I think about our year, I am convinced that we have achieved our goal of growing all kids and growing community, once again. All of our students have grown academically and as people in the world. They have learned new things, stretched their thinking, experienced challenge and success. They've built new friendships, problem solved with peers and made important connections with staff. It's been a great year!
I can't thank you, parents, enough for your support of our students, staff and school. You volunteer in classrooms each day and week, help with events, fundraise and make sure this is a great place to learn for all our students. Thank you also to our Sequoia staff for all your hard work this year! I feel lucky to work along side this staff as we help grow your children into curious, thoughtful, life-long learners.
As our students head into the summer, I want to encourage you all to take advantage of any opportunity you can to keep your child engaged in reading and learning. Often when students take the summer off we notice a "summer slide" with lost skills and necessary reteaching in the fall. Continuing to read and stay engaged in learning during these off months will help your child start on the right foot in August. Here are a few resources to help:
- This week your child received the "Summer Reading Challenge Bingo" sheet. A prize will be given to those students who can check off each box of the bingo sheet creating a "Bingo Blackout" and bring it back when school resumes.
- Our local Sonoma County library has a Summer Reading Challenge as well as something fun happening each week this summer. The Summer Reading Challenge runs from June 1-August 10th. Check out the link for more details: https://sonomalibrary.org/events/programs/childrens-summer-reading
- Your child has access to the Student One Card Program with the Sonoma County Library which gives your child access to electronic resources, free online one-on-one tutoring, borrowing up to 10 items from the library with no fines and more. You should have received your child's Student One Card information this week (or last Friday).
- US Congressman Mike Thompson offers a varied book list from the Association of Library Services for Children. If you sign up for his challenge, your child will be invited to meet Congressman Thompson and receive a certificate. https://mikethompson.house.gov/newsroom/press-releases/thompson-announces-2019-summer-reading-challenge
As a reminder, please check out the Lost and Found behind the office, all items will be donated next week. Also if your child has any medications in the office, please pick them up by 2:00 today.
It has been a great year and I'm grateful and proud to be the principal at Sequoia. I hope you all have a fun and restful summer break. See you on our first day of school, August 14th!
P.S. Check out a few pictures of the "colorful" last few days we've had together this year!
Color Run 2019!
Slime Time with Mrs. Clark!
Dates to Remember
- Tuesday, August 13th - Class Posting and Ice Cream Social for all families! Kindergarten posting will begin at 2:00 in the kinder yard. 1st-6th grade posting will begin at 3:00 behind the office.
- Wednesday, August 14th - First day of school (8:30-1:55)
- Thursday and Friday, August 15th and 16th - Regularly scheduled days (8:30-2:55)
- Tuesday, August 27th - Back to School Night (5:30-7:00)