Technology Information and Updates
Distance Learning Edition
Castro Valley Unified 1:1 Chromebook Device Program - Overview
Logging into Chromebooks
Students will access the Chromebooks using their CVUSD Google Account login and password. If you are unsure about your child's account information, click here.
New accounts use student ID as the default temporary password.
*We are having problems with some new student accounts, these should be fixed by 8/10 end of day.
Google Account Information
Student Google Account information is accessible to parents and students through the Aeries Portal Account. Use this portal to change student passwords. Find the "Supplemental" Page. Changes may take up to 15 minutes to update.
Chromebooks are managed by CVUSD. These can only be accessed with a current CVUSD account. Chromebooks are provided for CVUSD related learning.
- "Guest Login" has been disabled.
- Content filtering have been deployed for CVUSD Chromebooks to protect students. This also includes many web based games, Netflix/video streaming, some social media, other non-academic sites.
- Students may not send or receive emails from outside cv.k12.ca.us.
Sanitizing and General Care for Chromebooks and Laptops
Google for Education Apps and Other Online Resources - CVUSD
Google is CVUSD's software application standard. We use Google Mail, Docs, Sheets, Forms, Classroom, Slides, Hangouts, and newly added Google Meets to support our daily work and Distance Learning. These applications provide us with consistency for work across our organization as well as provides administrative tools to protect and optimize work for all of our students and employees.
We encourage and prefer all things Google for CVUSD related work. We understand that other software applications such as Microsoft Office, Adobe, Zoom, and a host of other web-based are hugely popular and sometimes superior for user experience. Most of these are allowed and we offer limited support for our staff.
Google software features are updated regular and change with frequency, we will do our best to update everyone of changes in features.
Google for Education does not keep/sell any user information and data.
Technology Quick Links
Please use the CVUSD Technology Website (*new and still updating). This page has information for Google Account info, Chromebook FAQ, and Parent/Student Tech Support Request.
Having a Problem? Use the Parent/Student Technology Support Request Form
Google Meet - Recent Updates
Google Meets will be our District's Primary Video Conferencing Software.
Zoom will also be allowed.
You can follow along this Google Meets Blog to see the most recent Google Meets updates to support Distance Learning.
In a nutshell:
- Free Premium Meet features (250 participants, recording, livestream in domain) has been extended from July 1 to September 30, 2020.
- Launched a Meet - Classroom integration that allows teachers to more easily control their meetings with students.
- Only meeting creators can mute / remove other participants
- Only meeting creators can approve requests to join made by participants outside of a school's domain
- Virtual Backgrouds (coming soon)
- Breakout Rooms (coming soon)
- Hand Raising (coming soon)