Notes from the recent FFSD Board of Education meeting
Notes from the recent FFSD Board of Education meeting
Notes from the October 12, 2022 board meeting
The Ferguson-Florissant School District Board of Education held its monthly meeting on Wednesday, October 12, 2022. It was livestreamed via the District YouTube channel and can be viewed by visiting the FFSDTV on YouTube. Read about actions taken at the October 12 school board meeting.
The following items were shared with the Board of Education for action. Please see the agenda items listed below.
- Approved all items presented in the consent agenda.
- a.) Minutes
- b.) Disbursements
- c.) Personnel Actions
- d.) St. Louis Area Business Health Coalition Renewal
- e.) Facilities - Cross Keys HVAC Replacement
- f.) Facilities - Football Field Sound System - McCluer
- g.) Facilities - HVAC Piping Insulation Replacement - Central
- h.) Facilities - Zero Turn Mowers
- i.) Technology - Tyler Pulse Renewal
- Approved the financial statements and payment of bills and expenses for September 2022.
- Approved components of the McCluer Success Plan:
- Approved compensation for four (4) staff who opt to receive training and facilitate reentry sessions - Funding source: $13,090 (General Operating Budget).
- Approved the purchase of Wayfinder curriculum- Funding source: $9,500 (Title I Funds).
- Approved a flex learning plan to include virtual learning through Edmentum - Funding source: $2,100 (Title I Funds).
- Approved the new position of Dean of Students - Funding source (General Operating Budget).
- Approved the addition of an additional safety monitor - Funding source (General Operating Budget).
- Approved the addition of five (5) security officers - Funding source: $250,000 (General Operating Budget).
- Approved the purchase of 35 walkie-talkie/radios - Funding source: $7,350 (Title 4 Funds).
The Board of Education Wants to Hear From You!
As part of the District's new strategic plan, Community Engagement and Communication is one of the priority areas. The Board has launched a monthly ThoughtExchange during each board meeting to ask stakeholders to share their thoughts on a given topic. The Board will review the results during their monthly Board study sessions to help guide the planning and the work of the District with your voice at the table. This month the topic is on facilities. This will help gather input on how the District can develop a long-range facilities plan in the future.
Please take the time to share your thoughts on ThoughtExchange on this month's topics:
Board of Education Recognitions
McCluer North staff members Jaquisha McCoy and Johnell Mitchell formed a school step team as an after-school program for students. The MN UNITY step team was designed to create an atmosphere of unity and team work through stepping and group creativity. The group gives students a sense of pride, leadership skills, and develop camaraderie between teammates.
Shaniya Perry, senior at Innovation High School participated this summer in the On Stage Collective in New York for the 2022 Cabaret at Feinstein's and 54 Below. She has performed over the summer in COCA's production of 'Ranked'. She was a 2022 Fox Theatre Teen Talent Finalist and a vocalist in the 2022 summer production of 'Legally Blonde' at the Muny.
STEAM Academy at McCluer South-Berkeley has a record number of 32 students accepted into the UMSL Bridge Pre-Collegiate Program. Students will participate in college readiness preparation in areas of math, science, writing, career development and college prep sessions. Receiving the recognition: Kennedi Buie (9th grade), Niya Hamiel (9th grade), Aaliya Loggins (9th grade), Mariah Cole (10th grade), Jaylen Loggins (10th grade), Kennedy Jones (11th grade), Joshua Flowers (12th grade), Joziah Ivy (12th grade), Ms. Stiles (counselor), and Ms. Blackshear (counselor).
McCluer North Pommies Dance Team earned the Superior Showmanship Award and Superior Team Performance leading the team to receive a bid to Nationals in Orlando, Florida in March 2023. To qualify, teams must perform and place in the top three in their division or score a 7.0 or above. Receiving the recognition: Jordan Franklin (10th grade), Madison King (10th grade), Anya Griffin (11th grade), Aniyah Lucius (9th grade), Aniyah Barsh (11th grade), Amya Love (11th grade), Antonesha Minor (11th grade), Ms. Sherri Nicholson (Pommies Dance Team Coach).
STEAM Academy at McCluer South-Berkeley has been recognized as a 2021-2022 Project Lead the Way Distinguished High School for the second year in a row. Receiving the recognition: Kennedy Jones (11th grade), Elijah Holman (12th grade), Antavion Franks (12th grade), Sarah Winstead (Physics and Engineering Teacher and Department Chair).
The following items were shared with the Board of Education for information. Please see the listed agenda items below.
- MSBA Board Report - The Board watched the monthly video update from Missouri School Boards Association.
Watch the Board of Education meeting on YouTube
Next Board of Education Monthly Meeting Will Be November 9 @ 6 p.m.
The Ferguson-Florissant School District, located in suburban St. Louis, serves more than 10,000 students from preschool through 12th grade with an excellent comprehensive educational program. Fully accredited by the state of Missouri, the Ferguson-Florissant School District operates seven Pre-Kindergarten through 2nd-grade schools, six intermediate schools (3rd through 5th grade), two 6th grade centers, two middle schools, two A+ and NCA-CASI - accredited high schools, a cutting-edge STEAM middle school, and a STEAM high school, a student-centered learning Innovation School and a Restoration and Wellness Center. In addition, the District includes a nationally recognized early education program, the award-winning Challenger Learning Center space education facility, and the Little Creek Nature Area, a 97-acre nature preserve that offers experiential learning opportunities for students in science, biology, ecology, and related areas of study.