For Wildcat Families
Para leer esta carta en español, haga clic en Traducir en la esquina superior derecha de esta página.
Welcome to school year 2022-2023
I am extremely excited about returning to school. I hope you all have had some time to recharge and regroup after a challenging school year. Spending time with family, reading a book, and enjoying warm weather can do wonders for our whole being. As I reflected on last year, and did some recharging myself, I thought about what "filled my battery" to return to school. The answer is my connections.
Connecting with people is essential for our growth and development. A large part of that connection was missed for a year and half. When we returned last school year we were in survival mode, while doing all we could to grasp all that had changed in the world as we know it. Connection to each other, connection to our school community is what was missing last year.
This year our theme is "Stay Connected." Research shows that students that play a sport and/or are active participants in clubs and activities are 67% more successful than their counterparts that a elect not to participate. Our goal this year is to have 100% of our students patriciate in a club, group, or sport. Being engaged with school makes it easier to be engaged in school. Please encourage your students to stay connected by joining a club, sport, or activity. A list of clubs will be shared with the students when school begins.
In this newsletter I will share key initiatives, programs, celebrations, and information with you on a quarterly basis. If you are new to Howard welcome to the family. If you are returning lets continue to build on what we have started on this journey together.
Welcome to the new school year where Staying Connected is our focus.
All the best,
Mr. Kyle Hill
Meet the Administrative Team
Mr. Przywara (pronounced "Prizz-wah-rah") - Assistant Principal
Dr. McDermott - Assistant Principal
Mr. Brian Mitchell - Assistant Principal
Howard High School of Technology's Core Values
1. Keep accurate contact information for parents and guardians so they receive late or absent calls from our attendance clerk
2. Creating engaging learning opportunities to excite students about attending
3. Breakfast is served for free for all students. Stopping for food in the morning is not an acceptable excuse for being late.
4. We will have a system for students who arrive late to school due to bussing challenges. If you student does not receive a pass they will be marked late.
5. Please read and review with your student the attendance expectations sent home earlier this summer. Click HERE to see attendance policy on the website
Stay Connected Wildcats
Howard has excelled in athletics, winning multiple conference and state titles. We offer a host of different clubs and opportunities for leadership. Please see the list below and encourage your student to get connected.
- Art Club
- Business Professionals of America (BPA)
- College Access Club
- Gamers Club
- Future Health Professionals (HOSA)
- Gentlemen's Club
- Howard Leading Ladies
- Dance Club
- Interact Club
- National Honor Society (NHS)
- Law and Order Club
We have more and if you don't see something you are interested in, we encourage you to share ideas for clubs with the administration that we may be able to add.
Things You Need To Know
Bus Stop Information
Bus stop information for the 2022-2023 school year will be posted in the Home Access Center (HAC) on Wednesday, August 17th. Students and parents will be able to view their most up-to-date bus information by logging into HAC. A link to HAC can be found on all school websites by clicking the “Quick Links” tab on the main menu.
All returning parents and students HAC information is the same as last year.
Students new to Howard (9th grade)
All HAC login information will mailed home. Once you receive your log in information you can follow the steps in the link HERE.
Parents/Guardians and students will have separate login information.
Breakfast and Lunch at Howard
Families must complete meal benefit forms that was mailed earlier this summer to determine if your student(s) are eligible for free or reduced lunch.
All students will continue to be offered free breakfast daily in our cafeteria. Food deliveries are not allowed at all. This includes but not limited to the following; family members, restaurants, uber eats, or door dash. Students may bring
We are a digtal paperless school community - IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Howard High School of Technology - website
1. HAC is your main connection to our school. It provides information for all of the following:
- Reports Cards & Interims (NO Paper copies are mailed)
- Class schedules (NO paper copies are given) students will access their schedules on their Chromebook.
- Students bus schedule and stops can be found in HAC
2. Chromebooks: Must come to school everyday charged.
- Students use their Chromebooks every day in every class
- It is their most important tool they will use daily
3. Contact information
- Make sure we have your correct address, email, and phone number.
- Listen to our School Messenger calls and emails. They have vital information that we share weekly.
- If you are not receiving calls please verify that your information is correct in HAC. It is correct and you are still not receiving calls please contact the main office at 302-571-5400
Wellness Center & School Nurse
Health & Safety
The guidelines for COVID changed rapidly and we communicated in multiple ways with our school community to inform them of any updates or changes that caused us to pivot. It is important to listen to calls from the school, visit our website frequently, and log into HAC to ensure you always have the most information available.
The students that get the highest scores on their overall rotation grade typically get their first choice of the career areas. Once placed in a shop/career area there is no switching shops. Please encourage your students to take this process seriously and to do their best. Below are list of all of the shop. Our shops offer industry certifications if one is available and/or college credit.
- Auto Diesel
- Building Automated Systems (electical)
- Dental Assisting
- Legal Admin Assisting
- Medical Assisting
- Teacher Academy (Early childhood & K-12)
- Legal Support Services
- Academy of Finance
- Nurse Tech
- Engine Tech (Small engine machines)
- Information Technology Networking
Passing your shop is critical to your completion of your program at Howard. Unlike your academic courses there are less opportunities to recover experience, time, and credits in yours shop. Our goal is to expose our students to a world class CTE experience and get them working during their senior year. Please stay focused and stay current with all of your work in your career area.
If your shop has a certification associated with the career path you select, the expectation is that your student will sit for the exam at the end of the program. This comes at a cost that will be discussed in your students shop. Please make sure you plan to have your student participate in the exam but preparing and saving for the cost of the exam. Please contact your student's shop teacher with any questions about this topic.
Beginning of School Documents
- Description: discussing the importance of student and parent basic information. How it is used, when it is used, and why we need it.
Notificación a los padres (Formulario de liberación del estudiante) Haga clic AQUÍ - Descripción: discutir la importancia de la información básica de los estudiantes y los padres. Cómo se usa, cuándo se usa y por qué lo necesitamos.
Bullying Information - Click HERE
- Description: information on the schools responsibility to post and share contact information to the Delaware Department of Justice
Accident Insurance (English - Click HERE
- Description: Voluntary participation Student and Athletic Accident Insurance.
Seguro de Accidentes (Español) Click AQUÍ
- Descripción: Participación voluntaria Seguro de Accidentes Estudiantiles y Deportivos
@KHill_HHST - Mr. Kyle Hill @DrMcDermott_AP - Dr. Tammy McDermott @mjprzy - Mr. Michael Przywara. @HowardHS_Co_op - Howard Co-Op @HowCulinary - Culinary Arts
@HOWCNAP - CNAP @HowardHighMA - Medical Assisting. @HowardWildcats - Howard High School @teacheracad