BHS Warrior Wire
November 2018 Edition~ Brook Haven School~ Sebastopol, CA
Grateful this Fall
Walking through classrooms on a daily basis gives me the opportunity to see our Warriors in action. Whether it be students studying microscope slides in Science, calculating in Math, examining story structure in English, exercising in PE, debating in Social Studies, singing songs & playing melodies in Choir & Band, creative projects in Art, Video Production & Woodshop- our students and staff are finding amazing ways to share their knowledge and love of learning every day.
Earlier this week I found the chalk message in this photo on the stairs of our quad. It was a wonderful reminder of the great things we have going on at BHS, even through the eyes of a student.
I hope you'll join us for our Winter Music Concert on Tuesday, December 18 at 6:30 pm. It is sure to be a great way to kick off the holiday season.
We have much to be thankful for here at Sebastopol Union. Thanks for being a part of it all!
Caring for our Community
- Interact is sponsoring a Jog A Thon that was planned for Wednesday, Nov. 14. At this time, we will be rescheduling due to the air quality. We will keep you posted about the new date, but in the meantime, students have been given pledge sheets that they can use to ask for sponsors. All money earned will be donated to The Living Room, a local agency supporting homeless families in Sonoma County.
- Leadership is sponsoring a canned food drive that will continue through Friday, Nov. 16. The first period classes are having a competition to see how many cans they can collect. All food will be donated to the Redwood Empire Food Bank. How many pounds of food will our Warriors donate?
We love seeing our BHS Warriors be RESPECTFUL & RESPONSIBLE, helping others around our community!
Help Keep Our Parking Lot Clear!
- Please don't forget that we are not using the front parking lot for drive thru drop off & pick up of students! The front of the school is much safer and less chaotic without the cars lined up to drop off or pick up students. Please make arrangements to meet your students on Valentine Ave. or Zimpher Dr. Our crossing guard will make sure they cross safely. The parking lot is only for people parking and coming into the school. The bus will pick up riders in front of the old library.
Volunteer of the Month
- 7th & 8th Grade Girls Volleyball practice is underway with the season's games beginning in January.
- 7th & 8th Grade Boys Basketball practice will be starting soon and the season's games also begin in January.
- The 6th Grade Girls just finished their first volleyball season which was full of learning the game, improving and even a few wins. Huge thanks to Coach Antonia Garza!
6th Graders Overnight Trip to Angel Island
Have You Signed Up?
Parent Square is our communication tool for all information & emergency updates. You should all be receiving emails, but you can also sign up for alerts and texts to keep you informed. Be sure to register to keep up-to-date!
Leadership organized a Costume Contest for students at lunch. We had everything from dinosaurs to ice cream cones to zombies to pineapples. Fun was had by all!
Dia de los Muertos
The Sebastopol Downtown Association invited us to display artwork at their Dia de los Muertos celebration in the town plaza. Mr. Aiello's 5th grade class teamed up with Ms. Julie's kindergarten class at Park Side to create artful skeletons for the display.
Analy Band Performs
The Analy Band ensembles performed for us last week. Our current band students got the chance to stand with players of the same instrument to see just what high school music looks like. There may have even been some dancing! We all enjoyed the wonderful music!
Dia de los Muertos
Check out the BNN! Brought to you by our Video Production Class
Dates to Remember
- Monday, Nov.12- No School
- Tuesday, Nov. 13- Site Council Meeting at BH 2:45pm
- Wednesday, Nov. 14- Astronomy Night at BH 6pm (weather & visibility) permitting.
- Thursday, Nov. 15- PBIS Parent Education Class at Park Side, 6pm
- Friday, Nov. 16- 5th Grade Field Trip to DeYoung Museum
- Nov. 19-23- No School All Week~ Happy Thanksgiving!
- Thursday, Nov. 29- 6th Grade Walking Field Trip to Sebastopol Center for the Arts
- Friday, Dec. 7- 7th Grade Field Trip to Academy of Science
- Friday, Dec. 7- 8th Grade Field Trip to Exploratorium
- Tuesday, Dec. 11- 6th Grade Field Trip to Asian Art Museum in San Francisco
- Tuesday, Dec. 18- Winter Concert, BH Band & Choir Students Performance, 6:30pm