Growth of Japanese Culture
A Golden Age Of Literature and Drama by JT
The Types of Drama
Japan has a long history of drama. Japanese drama was established in the early 600s and is still going on today.There were 3 types of Japanese Drama in The Golden Age.
- First, when the drama was invented, the drama was Shinto dancers
- There is noh. Noh is drama that mostly retells legends and folktales
- Another type of Japanese drama is kabuki. Kabuki is drama that has melodramatic singing and dancing. It is performed by men.
Japanese Literature History
Japanese poetry is normally about rejected love or beauty of nature. Japanese poetry is also very short compared to other countries.
One type of poetry is haiku. Haiku poems have 17 syllables and 3 lines. The first line with 5 syllables. The second with 7, and the last one with 5. And most of the haiku poems are about nature.
The Tale of Genji
Murasaki's novel, The Tale of Genji, contains detailed decriptions of Japanese life. It is an important source for historians.
Japanese Writing Systems
- It came from China, but the Japanese made it different. Just like the culture was different.
- They used those characters to identify objects, actions, or ideas.
- They still have different characters today.