May 20 - 24, 2013
Using Kelly Gallagher’s book, Deeper Reading, as a guide, Mrs. Doyle’s sixth grade class at Doyle Elementary School chose a character or feature of a character from their book, generated a metaphor, created a visual for the comparison, and explained their metaphor. Students demonstrated the deep meaning they are taking from their comprehension of the reading material. Gallagher tells us that using metaphorical connections in our reading sharpens our higher-level thinking skills.
News From the Nest
Liana’s Legacy will be on
Friday, June 7, 2013
from 5:30 – 8:30 P.M.
**Please join us for food, games and family fun.
This year, our proceeds will be used to support Kids’ Castle and provide help for Doyle students in need.
Please help with this event….
In order to make this event a success, we are asking for volunteers to help us. If you are interested and able to help, there are many ways to get involved.
1. Volunteer to run a game or sell tickets. Click here to sign up for a specific time to help with the games or ticket sales.
2. Donate items for the event. Donations for prizes for the games or items for our raffle baskets are greatly appreciated! If you would like to donate something, please e-mail Ms. Kowalchick.
3. Create a game or activity for the event. We are also looking for creative, castle-enthusiasts who would like to create a game or activity for the event. If you would like to design a castle-themed game or activity for Liana’s Legacy, please e-mail Ms. Kowalchick with a description of your idea and what your display would look like.
If you would like more details about this event, please contact
Ms. Kowalchick at firstname.lastname@example.org or 267-893-4335.
GaGa Pit Tournament
Doyle is having a GaGa Pit tournament for third, fourth, fifth, and sixth graders at Doyle Elementary on
Friday, June 7, 2013
· Each team will have four players. Choose a team name.
· The fee for a team to enter the tournament will be 4 dollars per team ($1.00 per player). Please make checks payable to Doyle Activity Fun.
· There will be 5 teams playing elimination. The team of the last student standing wins the bracket.
· Every player gets to play at least 2 rounds.
· All proceeds from the tournament will go toward the construction of Kids Castle.
· Registration due by June 3, 2013.
Move It Outside Day
In keeping with our health and wellness theme, May’s Soaring Eagle Assembly brought CB West students from the Student Government Organization over to give students ideas for outside activities. They encouraged students to turn off their “screens” and move. What fun our children had racing, dancing and playing games. A big thank you to Mrs. Kimberly McHale, faculty advisor, and all of the West SGO students, especially Maggie Gratz and Heather Zezzo for organizing the event and Abby Staskel for taking great pictures. To see Abby’s pictures, click here.
From the Library
Dedicate a Magazine Subscription!
Looking for a way to thank that special teacher for a terrific year? Searching for a way to honor your child for job well done? Consider giving the gift that lasts the whole year long- a magazine subscription for the Doyle Library. Magazines are attractive to reluctant readers and voracious readers alike. Magazines are fun for everyone!
2013 Magazine Wish List
American Girl Magazine $22.95
Ask (appealing topics for newly ind. Readers) $33.95
Boy’s Life (Ages 7-14) $24.00
Cat Fancy $24.00
Cobblestone (American History) $34.00
Cricket (short stories, poems 9 and up) $34.00
Dig (archaeology for kids) $34.00
Discovery Girls (for girls 8 and up) $23.00
Kids Discover $20.00
National Geographic $34.00
National Geographic Kids $24.00
New Moon Girls (Ad-free ages 8-12) $41.00
Ranger Rick $24.00
Spider (imaginative lit. ages 6-9) $34.00
Sports Illustrated for Kids $32.00
Young Rider $13.00
Zoobooks (grades 2-6) $30.00
Zootles (preK-grade 2) $30.00
Thank You to Home and School!
Operation Helping Hands
On behalf of the Bucks County Housing Group and the families we serve at the Doylestown Food Pantry, I send a sincere "thank you" to all the students and staff at Doyle Elementary School who contributed to the Operation Helping Hands Food Drive this year. Doyle Elementary School collected 174 lbs of food for the Pantry.
Many thanks and happy Spring to the staff and students at Doyle Elementary!
BC Housing Group
Home and School
Dogs On Duty
Dedicated to the Spanish Gummy Bears Ole!
Teamwork is what it is all about! Great job at the Reading Olympics! Mr. and Mrs. Gray
- 1st grade Field Trip - Elmwood Zoo: May 29, 2013
5th grade Inquiry Fair: May 29, 2013
- Field Day: May 30, 2013
- 3rd grade Field Trip - Franklin Institute: May 31, 2013
- Kindergarten Field Trip - Merrymead Farm: May 31, 2013
- 2nd grade Walking Trip to Lenape MS: June 4, 2013
- Spring Concert: June 5, 2013 - 7:00 PM (Lenape MS)
- 5th grade Field Trip to Constitution Center: June 6, 2013
- Kindergarten Spring Sing: June 6, 2013
- 4th grade Field Trip to Franklin Institute: June 7, 2013
- Liana's Legacy: June 7, 2013 (5:30 - 8:30PM)
- Raindate 1 for Field Day: June 11, 2013
- Raindate 2 for Field Day: June 13, 2013
- Bus Driver Appreciation Breakfast: June 13, 2013
- Volunteer Breakfast: June 14, 2013
- 6th Grade End of Year Camp: June 18, 2013 (YMCA)
- Last Day for AM Kindergarten: June 18, 2013
- 6th Grade Closing: June 19, 2013 (10:00 AM)
- Kindergarten Turn Around Day: June 19, 2013 - PM students attend AM session
- Last Day of School: June 19, 2013, Early Dismissal @ 11:55 AM.
May 15, 2013
At the May 14, 2013 School Board Meeting, the Central Bucks School District School Board:
1. Heard the CB West Chamber Choir performance before the school board meeting and via video, the Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mrs. Crotzer’s 2nd grade Barclay class.
2. Recognized Donna Radice, Certified School Nurse at Holicong Middle School, for being named PA School Nurse of the Year. Also recognized four students for winning an Aramark sponsored Nutrition poster contest for National Nutrition Month in March. The students are:
- K-3 Madison Gordon – Warwick Elementary
- 4-6 Sarah Hicks – Doyle Elementary
- Middle Steven Song – Tohickon
- High Grace Lenart – CB South
3. Heard the Academic Spotlight about Hearing Support Services by Jane Curtis and Jean Marie Perry. Ms. Curtis and Ms. Perry provide hearing support to our students with hearing impairments. These students require services to address needs primarily in the area of language arts, communication, accessing public and private accommodations and the use of assistive technologies designed for individuals with deafness or hearing impairment.
4. Heard the Superintendent’s Report, Communications, Curriculum, and Human Resources Committee Reports.
5. Approved the School Board Minutes.
6. Approved Construction Contracts as follows:
§ Contract to S & H Landscaping to replace the parking lot, entrance drives, and student drop off loops at Pine Run Elementary School in the amount of $828,185.
7. Tabled School Board Policy #217 – Graduation Requirements, School Board Policy #217.3 – Awarding of Credit-Other Educational Experience, School Board Policy #302 – Employment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent, and School Board Policy #312 – Performance Assessment of Superintendent/Assistant Superintendent so that the proposed policies can be posted on the CBSD website.