BHS Tiger News
Week of February 20, 2022
Belleville High School
Greetings BHS Families, this is Week #5 of Semester 2, and we are well into the learning required for each grade and subject. Because our students' success is often increased when they know they are being held accountable at home, we remind you to encourage your student to do their best, which includes getting help if they need it!
Here are 3 ways to support your student’s success:
Check your student's assignments and grades on Parent Connect, and have them explain what they’re learning from these tasks.
Follow up with teachers as needed, to make sure that your student is asking questions and getting support as needed.
Find out when your student’s next quizzes and tests are, and have them SHOW YOU how they’re studying. Remove distractions such as TV and/or cell phones as needed.
As presented by Superintendent Kudlak, masks are now recommended for students, but not required. Students who feel more comfortable wearing masks may do so. BHS will continue providing masks until they run out - replacements will no longer be ordered.
The Pancake Breakfast for students who achieved High Honors (3.3333 and above) for 1st Semester has been rescheduled for this Thursday, February 24th .
January Students of the Month - Excellence in Action - See List Below
Are you following us on Facebook?
If not, you’re missing out on great news! This information was posted last week: https://www.facebook.com/BellevilleHighSchool
Belleville Football in the News
Senior Ja’Nyah Roper wins McDonald’s Scholarship!
Prom Passes - Senior Information
BHS Robotics - upcoming competition
Jazz Band Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser - this Saturday!
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
Black History Month activities continue this week. In case you missed it, please visit this excellent resource that has been shared with students:
STUDENT ACADEMIC SUPPORTS:
Please find links below for Homework Lab (Tues/Thurs) and Tutoring (Mon/Tues/Thurs)
Important Dates and Upcoming Events:
SENIOR FAMILIES - Don't miss the upcoming deadlines for SCHOLARSHIPS in the Counseling Corner below. FREE Money is available for tuition, books, room & board, and other post-secondary costs!
Feb 21st: NO SCHOOL - Presidents Day
Feb 24th: Academic Excellence Awards for Semester 1
Feb 26th: Jazz Band Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser, 5:00pm
Mar 3rd & 4th: BHS Band Festival
Mar 3rd & 4th: HALF DAYS, 7:16am - 10:31am
Mar 3rd: Parent Teacher Conferences, 4:30pm - 7:30pm (UPDATED TIMES)
Have an amazing week everyone, and GO TIGERS!
~ Principal Crockett, AP Mrs. Green, AP Mr. Roberson, AP Mr. Wright, BNT Director Mr. Wilsey, and AD Mr. Brodie
STUDENTS OF THE MONTH - January 2022
As we continue developing the BHS Vision of Purpose, Excellence, and ACHIEVEMENT, we would like to recognize students who are exemplifying these characteristics. Students were nominated by their teachers for excellence in any of the following categories:
Significant Progress in the Classroom
Marked Improvement in Grades
Notable Consideration Towards Others
CONGRATULATIONS TO (Please note that most students were nominated for MULTIPLE categories!):
Student Name - Nominated By - Grade
- Zachary Benefiel - Romak - 9th Grade
- Jaylah Hollins - Cross - 9th Grade
Nolan Henderson - Davenport - 9th Grade
- Aiden Beebe - Turner - 9th Grade
- Vanessa Martin - Ghanem- 9th Grade
- Elvis Rosado - Romak - 9th Grade
- Sir Anthony Thomason - Simon - 9th Grade
- Grace Thorn - Simon- 9th Grade
- Daena Lindsey - Garland - 9th Grade
- Brendan Johnigan - Pesina - 9th Grade
- Caleb Blair - Fryske - 9th Grade
- Kennedy Real - Brooks - 9th Grade
- Adam Haase - Rybicki - 10th Grade
- Dylan Burford - Petersmark - 10th Grade
- Breanna Lawhorn - Fransen - 10th Grade
- Madison Leads - Rinaldi - 10th Grade
- Thomas Okubo - Rinaldi - 10th Grade
- Jacob Green - Tedaldi - 10th Grade
- Haven Green - Ghanem - 10th Grade
- Riley Morgan - Ghanem - 10th Grade
- Nasir Dais - Ghanem - 10th Grade
- Devin Reddick - Rybicki - 10th Grade
- Christian Bergeson - de Haan - 10th Grade
- Tauryn Huddleston - Simon -10th Grade
- Angel McKinney - Linzell - 10th Grade
- Kennedy Jackson - Culver - 11th Grade
- Ethan Delaney - Rinaldi - 11th Grade
- Miles Griffin - Rinaldi - 11th Grade
- David Walton - Rinaldi - 11th Grade
- Isyss Wilson - Ghanem - 11th Grade
- Jasmine Kruchten - Ghanem - 11th Grade
- Jordan Clemons - Simon - 11th Grade
- Josephina Gardner - Bushaw - 11th Grade
- AniaFelder - Epperson - 11th Grade
- Shyanne Borders - Johnson - 11th Grade
- Zachary Moore - Trumpour - 12th Grade
- Madilyne Oddy - Testorelli - 12th Grade
- Hanna Randell - de Haan - 12th Grade
- Abigail Wygonik - Romak - 12th Grade
- Charmaine Willis - Simon - 12th Grade
- Ashley Bustamante - P. Slingerland - 12th Grade
- Emily Castaneda-Guzman - P. Slingerland - 12th Grade
- MackenzieRoseP. Slingerland12th Grade
- Aisha Marena - Bushaw - 12th Grade
- Keshawn Keglar - Small - 12th Grade
Congratulations to the following ALL-KLAA Wrestlers: Kasey Settles (103), Nathan Antolin (135), Connor Williams (152), Austin Martin (160), Bernard Harrison (171), Demond Harrison (189), & Javen Franklin (215).
Upcoming Athletics Events: Visit https://bellevilleathletics.net/ for this week's competition schedules for Boys and Girls Basketball, Boys Swim, Boys and Girls Bowling, and Wrestling.
From the Counseling Team
2022-2023 Course Registration Continues! This week BHS counselors will meet with current 9th grade students to discuss course selections for the 22-23 school year. We are encouraging all students to review the Program of Studies to learn more about our courses.
SMASH University of Michigan is still accepting applications for Summer 2022. SMASH is a free program to first-generation, low-income, 9th grade students in the state of Michigan that are interested in STEM careers.
This is an excellent opportunity for 9th grade students interested in learning more about careers in the STEM field. The application is now open at www.smash.org/apply. The deadline to apply will be March 1, 2022.
AI4ALL is a free residential 11-day summer program at the University of Michigan College of Engineering for current 9th and 10th grade students. This program:
Serves as an entry point for computer science focused on artificial intelligence
Will be held in-person at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor - participants will spend half their day in the classroom with an instructional team, and half their day with student life advisors visiting labs, touring the campus, and experiencing all that the University has to offer!
Click HERE for more information.
2022 President Gerald R. Ford Student Writing Challenge
Students are invited to participate in the 2022 President Gerald R. Ford Student Writing Challenge. High school students from public, private, city, suburban, rural, and home schools participate in the contest. Finalists are chosen and recognized at a special awards program at the Museum. This year’s writing topic is integrity. Please click HERE for more information.
February is Financial Aid Awareness Month
Remember the priority deadline is March 1 2022. Here are a few links to assist with completing financial aid documents:
- The Beginner's Guide to Financial Aid
- 2022-23 Financial Aid and FAFSA State Deadlines
- Why Parents Should Fill Out the FAFSA
- Why Should I Complete the FAFSA?
- After the FAFSA: What to Do Once You've Submitted Yours
- FAFSA Checklist
Financial Aid, FAFSA + COVID Impact: Resources
COVID continues to influence financial aid for college students and for high school seniors. Find more student help and the latest federal financial aid solutions related to COVID:
Scholarships for African American students during Black History Month
Educational institutions, foundations and many other organizations celebrate African American students with scholarship opportunities - find one you qualify for today!
Many of our local scholarship applications are now available!!! Please visit our local scholarships page often to view new scholarships.
Here are a few scholarships with APPROACHING DEADLINES. Apply today!
- Metro Bureau Scholarship Application- 2/25/22
- The New Metropolitan Detroit Club of the National Association of Negro Business and Professional Women's Clubs, Inc- 2/28/22
- Robert Leonard Jr. Charitable Trust Scholarship- 3/1/22
- American Chemical Society- 3/1/22
- Society of Women Engineers 3/1/22
- Rosa Parks Scholarship Foundation- 3/2/22
- Lake Trust Foundation- Michigan ImpactScholarship- 3/12/22
- Lake Trust Foundation- New Beginnings- 3/12/22
- Detroit Economic Club Society- 3/15/22