The Treasure Map
September 2--September 8
Week in Review
Monday, September 2
- 4th Grade Common Planning 9:00-9:38 (A week); 2:45-3:45 (B week)
- 1st Grade Common Planning 2:30-3:30 (A week); 1:30-2:10 (B week)
- HAPPY LABOR DAY! Enjoy your family and friends!
Tuesday, September 3
- 3-5 MAP testing window open
- 3:00-4:00 Faculty Meeting in the Media Center
Wednesday, September 4
- 5th Grade Common Planning 2:45-3:30
- K Common Planning 12:35-1:20
- 10:00-11:00 Parent Orientation for iRock
- 3-5 MAP testing window open
Thursday, September 5
- 2nd Grade Common Planning 2:45-3:45
- 3rd Grade Common Planning 8:00-8:45
- 5th Grade Common Planning 9:55-10:35
- 3-5 MAP testing open
- Rhonda at AP meeting 7:30-11:00
- Crystal at NTI administrator training 9:00-11:00
- Boy Scout Night ( Scout rep will also be stationed outside the cafe. Allow a few minutes for boys to get information at lunch)
Friday, September 6
- 3-5 MAP testing window open
- Please make sure all placement cards are back in Rhonda's box.
- Deadline to complete iRock surveys (links below for parents, teachers, and students)
October 9 will be a Late Start day; NOT October 16 as originally published in the district calendar.
Writing in the Common Core
- Full day for K-2 (September 16) and 3-5 (September 13) OR
- Afternoon session (2.5 hours) K-2 (September 5) and 3-5 (September 4)
Obviously the full day session will be the most beneficial.
India Hook Teachers who have NOT done this training should attend!
- Congratulations, Karen Roof! Karen was the winner of the $1,000 prize pack from the National PE Institute!
- Ms. Bunchman would like to give a shout-out to Heather and Deborah in the cafeteria because they care for each and every one of our children. They made sure a student whose teacher had left the cafeteria was safely delivered back to their teacher!
Please complete the teacher survey and have your students complete the student survey by Sept. 6. Please include the parent link in your weekly communication.
The Fine Points
- We are still working on the MyOn order. We will give you updated information as we receive it!
- Please relay to your students and parents that in an effort to encourage healthy living and learning, soft drinks are not allowed at school. This includes lunches, even those brought from home or brought in to share with students, and special class treats.
- If you are on facebook, please "like" the Rock Hill Community Gardens page. Martha Edwards is hoping that this will be a way to connect many with community gardens, whether they want a major commitment or just want to help spread mulch between the beds at the ed garden one morning at the education garden behind Two Men and a Truck. People can post recipes, ask for help when needed, communicate about big garden events or clean up and planting days.
- Consider using Remind 101 as a method to stay in touch with parents. It's a free text messaging system that keeps all members and their numbers private. If you have questions, feel free to ask Ms. Austin and Ms. Watts.
- PTA needs two teacher representatives. Any volunteers?
- Please forward this link to the IHES handbook to your parents. http://ih.rock-hill.k12.sc.us/UserFiles/indiahook_e/Documents/Allred/IndiaHookStudentHandbook20132014.pdf
- Please forward this Girls on the Run link to your parent groups. www.SignUpGenius.com/go/10C0D48A5A829A1F58-girls/10979459
- Dear Principals of High-Hope Schools,
As we begin the new school year, our students are looking toward teachers and leaders to inspire them to dream big and to teach them how to turn a wish into a hope. Thanks to you we know what hopeful teachers do differently to make hope happen:
Caring about students and investing in their big future goals.
Aiming teaching at their students’ goals for the future to increase relevance of instruction.
Helping students overcome obstacles and teaching them how to solve problems on their own.
To kick off the school year, we shared the names of Gallup High-Hope Schools and announced the finalists of the Most Hopeful Teacher of the Year Award. To find out more, please read and share:http://thegallupblog.gallup.com/2013/08/searching-for-most-hopeful-teacher-in.html
Fire Essays (Grades 1 and 5)
grades. These supplies were dropped off at the office. Please check your box or the front office and pick up those items. The essays and coloring sheets are due at the front office on Friday, Sept 13. We will be picking up the coloring sheets and essays on Monday, Sept 16 and Tuesday, Sept 17. The winners will be notified on Sept 26 & 27.
- September 12 -The PTA is holding a meeting to vote in the new Board. The meeting will start at 6:30. You may arrive early to join PTA; membership is required to vote.
- September 13 - Grades 1 and 5 Fire Essays due.
- October 9 will be a Late Start day; NOT October 16 as originally published in the district calendar.
- Oct. 17 - GT (grades 3 and 4) on field trip to IMAX "Flight of the Butterflies" at the Discovery Place
- Oct. 18 - GT (grade 5) on field trip to IMAX "Flight of the Butterflies" at the Discovery Place
- November 12, 15, 19, and 21 from 9:30-10:10am and 10:15-10:55am - 4th grade swimming....details to follow
Opportunity to Give Back!
Winthrop would like to place 13 students from the READ 370 and/or SPED 510 at India Hook Elementary this fall. These students can be placed in any grade K-5 and the expectations for the students in these courses are attached in two files, one per course. The students should work with emerging or struggling readers and the SPED 510 students do not need to be placed with special education teachers. You do not need to be mentor teacher trained to host one of these students.
The students will do the field work on M/W mornings from the opening of school - 12:00 during the weeks of 9/9, 9/30,10/21,11/11 and 11/18. The first day the students would be at India Hook would be September 10th. Please let me know if you are interested as soon as possible. Paul Horne is willing to come out and speak with anyone interested to answer any questions.
If you made it through this far in this week's Treasure Map, email Mrs. Kelsey with the secret code word, "elephant", for a well-deserved treat! Shh...One must read the whole TM to enjoy the reward!
See Angela Williams if you are willing and able to serve in this manner.