ICEF Weekly Newsletter
May 22, 2016
Teacher Instructional Task Forces Coming Together This Week!
Message from Marie Morelock
May 23 - ELA Elementary and Secondary Task Force Workshop
May 24 - Math Task Force Workshop
June 2 - Directors' Meeting
June 22-24 - Leadership Retreat
Instructional Focus - UPDATE ON SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENTS
As the state testing winds down, we want to be mindful to our students and schools regarding "Testing Fatigue." Thus, please note the following changes to the ICEF-Wide End of Year Benchmarks:
- ICEF Summative Benchmarks will be administered to grade-levels and content areas that did not participate in CAASPP Assessments: K-2 (Reading, Language and Math), Grade 9 Math and ELA, Grade 10 Math and ELA, and Grade 12, Math and ELA.
- The ICEF Summative Benchmarks are school optional for all other grade-levels who tested: Grades 3-8 and Grade 11. (In other words, as a school, you determine if you will implement them in these grade-levels, school-wide, not optional per teacher).
- Benchmarks will be posted this week. Grades K-2 Reading will be posted later this week and will only include the Priority Standards identified during February's Data Day.
News, Helpful Hints, and Reminders
From the Academic Team -
- Congrats to VPPES and VPPMS for completing your CASSPP testing with 100% participation! Nice work!
- Please make sure to read the message above regarding End of Year Summative Assessments.
- RECLASS, RECLASS, RECLASS - As we wind down the end of the year, please pay attention to those students at your school who may be eligible for reclassification. Please reach out to Marie for assistance.
- The UCLA Curtis Center on Mathematics is hosting a number of Professional Developments Institutes this summer. Check them out here: http://curtiscenter.math.ucla.edu/math-teachers/summer-workouts
- HIRE, HIRE, HIRE, please collaborate with Sarah and HR dept. to ensure a swift hiring process. ALL positions should be filled by the end of May.
- 2016-2017 LCAP feedback by Tuesday, May 17th.
- 2016-2017 LCAP submission to ICEF Board Thursday, May 19th.
- 2015-2016 Title I final expenditure approval by SSC by June 16th.
From the IT Team -
As testing will be in full swing this coming week, please be sure to have all devices fully charged the night before. Please also know what devices you will be using as there is no time to guess which one will work or not work on the day of testing. The IT Team will follow the regular schedule and make sure you start the testing with no issues but they will not stay in on place waiting for the entire test to complete if there were no issues at the start of testing. As there are only 4 members of the IT Team, we will do our best to assist all schools and respond to your requests depending on the urgency of the issues you report to us. You should have a contingency plan if devices fail or are not charged. Please keep in mind some schools scheduled testing during same days as other schools, so we ask that you consider this as you report any technical issues. A consolidated schedule showing all schools and their testing will be available periodically until we complete SBAC. Your patience is appreciated.
Celebrations and Worth Noticing -
- Cheers to David Vaezaizizi, for utilizing your secondary expertise in helping View Park MS in crafting their Master Schedule for the upcoming year!
- Cheers to Lauren Townsend for keeping us current with CAASPP Participation rates!
- Thanks to the sponsorship of First Tee Golf and the leadership of Lisa Finegan we just golfed with 50 ICEF elementary students . Today we culminated a golf unit at Heroes golf course. What a great event being on the green all day. Thanks to our dedicated PE staff Mihr and Alberto from Vista, Channon from Innovation, Adaline and Morgan from Lou Dantzler and our SIC Shashawanna from Inglewood!
- Also for the past 2 Fridays LDMS has taken first the 7th then 6th grade for a sports and Hiking day. Thanks to Jeremy and Shane for organizing ; and thanks to Stuart for doing rugby and Mike and Ernie doing lacrosse. These students were facinated with hiking and the stream with the ducks. What a great opportunity to exercise and enjoy the outdoors!
And check out the pictures below on the happenings across ICEF!