JKES 4th Grade Newsletter
Welcome to the 2019-2020 School Year!
Welcome to Ms. Sarah Weir!!!! We are SO excited to have Ms. Weir join our fourth grade team!!!
7:20-7:50 Arrival, Breakfast, & Morning Activities
7:50-7:55 Morning Announcements
8:45-10:45 Block 1 Reading/Writing or Math/Science
11:05-11:50 VA Studies
12:20-2:20 Block 2 Reading/Writing or Math/Science2:20-2:25 Pack Up & Dismissal
Upcoming Important Dates
What is happening in Reading....
Students are finishing up a unit on Historical Fiction and are beginning Historical Fiction projects!
We are also studying Fact vs. Opinion and Theme vs. Main Idea.
The Reading Student Growth Assessment will be March 11th and 12th. This test will be a simulation of what the Reading SOL will be like.
What is happening in Math...
In math, students have been working on understanding fractions. Students have been analyzing and evaluating fractions in order to understand that there is value greater than 0, but less than 1:
- Compare and order fractions with like and unlike denominators
- Analyze where fractions are located on a number line in reference to 0, 1/2, and 1
- Determine which fractions are greater than, less than, or equal to each other.
- Create equivalent fractions and explaining how they are equal
- Understand improper fractions and mixed numbers
- Use a fraction as a division statement, such as 3/5 means 3 divided by 5.
We have also been experimenting and interpreting probability by:
- Determining the total possible outcomes and the actual number of outcomes from different events, such as a coin toss, dice throw, game spinners.
- Writing the probability as a fraction.
- Understanding how the fractional representation and the terms impossible, unlikely, equally likely, likely, and certain relate to each other.
- Creating a problem to represent a given probability.
After Unit 7, we will begin exploring linear measurement, how to find area and perimeter of an object, and learn how to add and subtract fractions with like and unlike denominators.
At home, it is important to continue to practice fact fluency and to help your child practice their math concepts! Below are ways to continue this throughout the remainder of the year and over break!
-Practice on DreamBox or Reflex for 10-15 minutes nightly
-Continue to work on unfinished Google Classroom assignments at home for extra practice (these assignments align directly with what is being learned in class)
Thanks so much for your support of your child’s math success at home!
What is happening in VA Studies...
In Virginia Studies, we have begun to study the Civil War. This unit has a lot of content, so encourage your student to review at home, too! We will have the Virginia Studies Student Growth Assessment on April 23. This test will cover content from the entire year, just like the SOL.
***Students can now access Virginia Studies Weekly through their Clever account from the JKES homepage. Please encourage your student to check it out!!
What is happening in Science....
In Science, we have been studying plant and animal adaptations. This week we have started exploring Ecosystems in detail.