Our campus is participating in the American Heart Associations' Jump Rope for Heart. See details in this week's Tuesday folder.
The yearbook is NOW on sale. You may purchase through the school or online. The basic book is $20.
Order and pay online: ybpay.lifetouch.com ID Code: 10305116
Order at school: Make checks payable to Chavez Elementary or pay in cash.
What We Are Learning This Week
Great Expectation Life Principle: Character
Math: Decimals & Fractions
Science: Earth Patterns & Ecosystems
Social Studies: Symbols of Texas
Writing: Expository Writing (Writing to Explain)
Reading: Drama & Biography
Language: Sentence combining
Don't forget your books for library on Tuesday.
Academic Fair Projects
Morning Tutorials Are Open - 7:10-7:40 am
In our class, students who attend will receive a healthy snack when they bring their attendance ticket to me.
Important!!! Be Sure to Join Us On:
Edmodo - Our Communication System & Protected Learning System
Go to www.edmodo.com.
Have your student sign in. (Username and password are inside front agenda cover.)
Scroll down the left side of the page until you see Parent Code. Write this code down.
Logout (upper right corner, click on “Me” and select Logout).
Go to www.edmodo.com and select “I’m a Parent” (under blue box that reads “I’m a Teacher”).
Enter your student’s code and set up your account.
Make sure to go Account (upper right corner, click on “Me”) and select "Settings". You can select to have email or text alerts for specific items.
On our Edmodo site, you can see:
Daily agenda (planner/calendar)
Homework links (Folder->Classroom Information)
Subject area links
- Determine a fixed spot to plug in your Chromebook EVERY night so that it is charged and ready to go the next day. We have found that this step is crucial to keeping your Chromebook working properly. Keep your charger in your laptop bag when not charging.
- Please be sure to keep case free and clean. Stickers and moisture can damage devices.
- Make sure you bring your Chromebook every day in the computer bag/sleeve. This is an essential school supply, not an extra.
- Monitor your child's computer usage in a common area.
- If students are not taking care of their computer responsibly, computers will stay at school. If you would prefer that it stays at school, please just let me know.
Homework Expectations: 1. Read a minimum of 20 minutes nightly and complete reading log. 2. NEW CHANGE - Each night students will complete a worksheet, SHOWING ALL WORK. 3. Practice vocabulary words. Test on Friday.
This Week's Vocabulary Words
Each child will be tested on Friday. Students are expected to be able to use these words in sentences. These are words we use day-to-day, so a functional use is critical to learning and understanding.
- numerator - the top number of a fraction; amount of parts of the whole
- denominator - the bottom part of a fraction; how many parts are in the whole
- improper fraction - a fraction whose numerator is larger than the denominator
- portion - amount, share, allotment, or part
- unit fraction - a fraction with one as the numerator
- actual - existing in fact
- autobiography - true life story written by and about the author
- biography - written history of the life of a person
- conclusion - the result, end or finish of something
- similarity - a shared likeness
- transition - a change from one sentence or paragraph to another
- homophone - same sound but different spelling and/or meaning
- prepositional phrase - words beginning with words like "in, with, to"
- emblem - distinctive symbol or insignia
- radiance - extraordinary brightness
- Texas Our Texas - the state song of Texas
- pledge - to make a promise
- allegiance - loyalty to a country or cause
- indivisible - unable to be split into smaller parts
- character - what you are or do when no one is watching
You can practice these words on Edmodo using the Vocabulary Spelling City app.
(Click on the 2x2 array of on the far right. When the apps window opens, select Vocabulary Spelling City, and go to Vocabulary Week 21 in the yellow section. There are lots of games to help you learn your words!)
To set up your account, enter your email address as your username. If you don't' remember your password, click the link. If at any time you are prompted for your student's ID number, just ask her/him to tell you her/his lunch number.
Dates to Remember
Tuesday, Feb. 2nd
Book Orders Due (Class Code: GRH8G)
Friday, Feb. 5th
Family Fit Night
Week of Feb. 8th-12th
Chavez Library Scholastic Book Fair
Tuesday, Feb. 9th
Chavez PTA Muffins for Mom 6:30-7:15
Friday, Feb. 12th
Valentine's Day Party 1:45-2:30 pm
Monday, Feb. 15th
No School: Student Holiday/Staff Development Day
Saturday, Feb. 20th
Saturday School for Invited Students
Wednesday, Feb. 24th
Class & Spring Individual Pictures
Saturday, Feb. 27th
Saturday School for Invited Students
Tuesday, Mar. 1st
4th Grade Math Benchmark
Wednesday, Mar. 2nd
4th Grade Reading Benchmark
Friday, Mar. 4th
Grandparent's Lunch 11:20-11:50
Week of March 7th-11th
No School: Spring Break
WANTED: Used Dryer Sheets
Used dryer sheets for whiteboard erasers.
WANTED: Playing Cards
If you have decks of playing cards or UNO games, we would love to use them for math.
WANTED: Old Scrabble Tiles
If you have an old Scrabble set, we can use the letter tiles for our Word Work activities.