Food and the Digestive system
from Chapter 29
- Vitamin B9, Needed to make red blood cells. Vitamin B12, Needed for healthy nerves. Minerals like, Calcium which is needed for strong bones and teeth. And Chloride which is needed for needed for proper balance of water and salts in body.- By weight your cells are about two-thirds water, so you cannot live without it. In fact, you can survive for only a few days without water.
- The ingredients on food labels are always listed from the highest amount to the lowest amount.
- To balance food with exercise just exercise it helps you use extra energy and avoid unhealthy weight gain.
- The functions of the digestive system are, breaks down food, absorbs nutrients, and also gets rid of food wastes.
- The mouth and stomach are two of organs of the digestive system. Their functions are at one end of the tube is the mouth; at the other end is the anus. Food enters the mouth and then passes through the rest of the digestive system. Food waste leaves the body through the anus.
- Intestinal bacteria, helps with producing vitamins B12 and K, control the growth of harmful bacteria; break down poisons in the large intestine break down some substances in food that cannot be digested, such as fiber and some starches and sugars.
- To keep your digestive system healthy, keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold wash your hands before you prepare or eat food and cook meats, poultry, fish, and eggs thoroughly before eating them.