FAC Weekly Update
February 14, 2020
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family
Happy Valentine's Day to all! We LOVE our FAC Students and Families and hope that you have a wonderful weekend.
Thank you to all who came out last night to support our Architecture Studio at the annual gallery showcase! Congratulations to the amazing students and their fearless leaders, Ms. Smith and Ms. Stockham!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
“The real issue is not whether you're going to fail. It's whether you are going to fail successfully. When you have the right attitude, failure is neither fatal nor final. In fact, it can be a springboard to success.”
- John C. Maxwell, The Maxwell Daily Reader, page 49 (February 14)
Congratulations to Luisa Penaflor!
Creative Writing Junior Luisa Penaflor is the 2019 Winner of the Nancy Thorpe Poetry Prize sponsored by Hollins University for her poem, "This Is Not A Heritage Poem." As the winning poet, Luisa will receive a $350 cash prize, publication in Cargoes, Hollins’ award-winning student literary magazine, a renewable scholarship up to $5,000 provided through the Creative Talent Award in Creative Writing applicable in the event that she enrolls at Hollins University, and free tuition and housing for the University’s Hollins summer creative writing program (for rising 9-12th grade students).
Concert Opportunity for Students and Families!
From the FAC pARTners
Event Ticketing Help
Please take a moment to help us with the ticketing process at one of our performances. The FAC pARTners have created a sign-up genius where you can select an event that works with your schedule - https://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090e45ada82daafc1-2020. We greatly appreciate the donation of your time and energy to this vital process!
Concert Opportunity for Students, Families, and the GVL Community
Music Club of Greenville - Scholarship for Grade 12 Students
The Music Club of Greenville will once again offer a scholarship to instrumentalists and vocalists who will be pursuing a degree in:
- Music Performance
- Music Education
- Musical Theatre
The deadline for the application is March 8, 2020. Please click on the following link for more information and to access the application - https://musicclubgreenville.org/scholarship-application.
Community Performances Featuring FAC Students
- Center Stage - I Feel Good - January 23 - February 16, 2020 - https://centrestage.org/ifeelgood/
- South Carolina Children's Theatre - The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe - January 25 - February 5. https://scchildrenstheatre.org/shop/lion-witch-wardrobe/
- Logos Theatre - A Peep Behind the Scenes - March 6 - April 25. https://thelogostheatre.com/
- Greer Children's Theatre - Frozen Jr. - March 6-8 & 13-15, 2020 - http://www.cityofgreer.org/827/Greer-Childrens-Theatre
- Greenville Theatre - The Producers - June 5 - 28 - https://www.greenvilletheatre.org/2019-2020
- Milltown Players - The Music Man - July 24 - August 8 - http://www.milltownplayers.org/currentseason
Please spread the word to your Greenville friends and family about our concerts, events, and performances!
- February 19: Jazz Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall
- February 21-22: Region Band Rehearsals and Concert, Anderson University
- February 21-23: All-State Orchestra Rehearsals and Concert - FAC and WHHS.
- February 22: SCNATS Auditions - FAC Voice Studio - Furman University.
- February 26: Jazz Concert at Genevieve's (Peace Center), 7:00 p.m.
- February 26-March 1: Dance Studio Trip to National High School Dance Festival
- February 27-28: All-County Band Rehearsals and Concert, FAC and WHHS
- March 5: Jazz Concert, 7:00 p.m., Sutherlin Recital Hall