Fork Shoals Library Ledger
News for the week of March 7, 2016
The Spring Book Fair begins this Friday!
- Friday, March 11 - 8am-3pm
- Monday, March 14 - 8am-7:30pm
- Tuesday, March 15-Thursday, March 17 - 8am-3pm
- Friday, March 18 - 8am-noon
Click here for featured titles and information about the Online Book Fair, which is open March 6th-24th.
The Book Fair accepts cash, checks (made payable to Fork Shoals School), and all major credit cards. 6% tax is added to all purchases. Proceeds from the Book Fair benefit the FSS Library.
Battle of the Books
Our remaining practice dates are:
- Tuesday, March 8th, 2:30-3:00pm
- Wednesday, March 9th, 7:30-7:55am
- Tuesday, March 15th, 2:30-3:00pm (Location to be determined.)
- Tuesday, March 22nd, 2:30-3:00pm
The BoB Regional competition will be held at Bell's Crossing Elementary on Tuesday, March 15th, at 6pm. BoB Finals will be on Tuesday, March 22nd, 6pm, at Pelham Road Elementary.
3rd Quarter Reading Challenge
List books (with page numbers) as you complete them. Add your total number of pages read during the 2nd quarter. Please print clearly and total your pages at the end. If you need extra reading logs, click here.
Book of the Week: A Snicker of Magic
Felicity Pickle is a word collector. She sees words floating in the air, hovering around people’s heads, and zipping all around. She writes the words in her special blue book, and she carries the book with her everywhere. That includes Midnight Gulch, Tennessee.
Midnight Gulch, her mom’s hometown, is the Pickle family’s latest stop. Felicity’s mom has a wandering spirit, but Felicity is eager to call someplace home, and it seems like Midnight Gulch may just be the home she’s always wanted.
It is here that Felicity meets Jonah, a special boy who immediately becomes her best friend. Together, they learn about the magic that once existed in Midnight Gulch, and they try to figure out just how to bring that magic back.
Felicity soon discovers that the magic of Midnight Gulch is connected to her own family…and a mysterious curse that may be responsible for her mom’s wandering ways. If Felicity can figure out a way to break the curse, using the small snicker of magic still left in this small town, maybe she can finally have the home she’s always wanted.
But can Felicity overcome her own fears and break a curse that’s held Midnight Gulch in its grips for a century? Does she truly have the power–and the words–to make this place truly magical once again? Find out when you read A Snicker of Magic by Natalie Lloyd!
Dates to Remember:
- March 1-24 - Spring MAP window
- March 8 - Chick-fil-A Night
- March 11 - Spirit Day
- March 11-18 - Spring Book Fair
- March 13 - Daylight Savings begins
- March 14 - SIC meeting, 7:30am; PTA All Arts Night, 6pm
- March 15 - Battle of the Books Regionals @ Bell's Crossing, 6pm
- March 17 - Moe's Night
- March 18 - Swamp Rabbits Spirit Night