Ms. Arnold's Weekly News
Week of 3-28-16
Our Class Motto: Perseverance
"Being persistent & never giving up!"
Keicher Tech Day
Crafted his own Batman mask at the Maker Space: Card Board Challenge!
Learning to code with Dash and Dots!
Exploring with Lego boats at the Maker Space: Lego Challenge!
March (A Busy But Fun Month)!!!
March is reading month! Keep an eye on the calendar for spirit days and activities! All students must meet their AR goal in order to go skating in April! Jonathan Rand will be our guest author this month!
And it's March Madness for all of us who are basketball fans!
CLICK THE LINK BELOW: HOW MUCH TIME IS LEFT TO GET 10?
Monday, March 28th: Jonathon Rand assembly (book order forms due by 8:30 am)
Friday, March 1st: End of reading month challenge...students must have met their goal by today in order to earn their ticket to All Skate in April.
Friday, March 1st: Staff Student Basketball Game
Start of spring break: April 4th
MORE CLASSROOM STUFF
Math homework: As I mentioned at conferences, I have chosen to "flip" my classroom in math. Homework each night is a video of the next day's lesson. Students are expected to watch the lesson each night and follow along on their lesson page. I provide the information that is being practiced the day. Students will get classroom time to work independently and get help while working. Getting this lesson as homework has already shown "significant" gains in participation, effort, and accuracy on daily work. I highly encourage the video lesson be done each night! Thanks for patience and support!
It can be downloaded on Ipads and/or you can log in with the use of the Internet by going to the login page for Educreations. Once logged in the videos will come up immediately.
Students will have to login using their own username and password. Videos must be taken care of before school the next day. Videos need to be 100% watched and lessons must be signed!
McGraw-Hill Connected Resource: Parents/Students can log in to McGraw-Hill connected to view and use our Treasures Reading Book as well as our My Math Book, lessons, HW, videos, etc.
How do you log in? Go to http://connected.mcgraw-hill.com/connected/login.do
Login is: keicher27
Password is: cardinals3
(NEW) Fact Practice: It is encouraged that students practice their multiplication and division facts daily for 10 min. A tracking sheet, seen below, has been placed in their
at-home folders to help guide nightly practice of their facts.
*THEY WILL HAVE FACTS TESTS EACH WEEK!
At-Home Fact Practice Guide
Classroom Learning Time
Our Focus Points
Reading / Language Arts
Students are continuing to work through each of our Daily 5 rotations...Read to Someone, Teacher Time, Listening, Nonfiction Reading, and Writing. As well as learning "partner fluency" routines and using various reading skills/strategies we focused on throughout the week. Read to Self Time is a priority every day as well!
Math (Unit 10: Fractions)
*Video lessons for the week will be uploaded to Educreations.
Students are also continuing to gather stories and writing strategies in their writer's notebooks. Paragraph development and grammar skills continue to be a focus point too. And we have started our third trimester piece: opinion paper.
Science and Social Studies topics for the year:
*Force and motion
*Michigan: government, economics, geography, and history of
This Week's Spelling Words (test on Friday)
Spelling List #19
Multiplying By 9s Song
Multiplying By 11 Song
Multiply By 12 Song Video
Take Advantage of the Technology
*Scratch or Tynker
*Front Row Math
*Book Talks with Chatterpix
*Mrs. Barnes Useful Links
Lego Club News
Lego Club Team 1 and Team 2: This Wednesday from 3:30-4:30
-Shirts have been distributed to students who purchased one.
DATES AT A GLANCE
25 GOOD FRIDAY – NO SCHOOL
28 Jonathon Rand Day! - Assembly at 9:00 a.m.
29 “Slip into a good book” – Wear slippers to school
30 “Read My Shirt Day” – Wear a shirt with words on it to school
Credit Union Day
31 “Read, White and Blue Day”
1 March is Reading Month Assembly – 1:30 – 3:00 p.m.
4 START OF SPRING BREAK – ENJOY – SEE YOU ON APRIL 11TH
11 Return to School
School Board Meeting – MCHS – 7:00 p.m.
12 NO SCHOOL – STAFF ONLY
Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
13 Credit Union Day
14 MC Bond Town Hall Meeting – Keicher Elementary School – West Gym – Information Presentation/Q & A – 6:30 p.m. – Building Tour – 7:00 p.m.
15 Popcorn Today – Bigger Size - $1.00
18 Good News Club - Permission slip week before
19 3rd Grade to Rural Education Day (RED) – Fairgrounds – A.M.
MC Bond Town Hall Meeting – Arnold Elementary School Gym – Information Presentation/Q & A – 6:30 p.m. – Building Tour - 7:00 p.m.
20 Credit Union Day
22 5th Grade Tiger Trip - Final payment due
26 Michigan Center Community Food Pantry – 6:30 – 7:30 p.m.
27 Credit Union Day
29 Keicher Student Lock-in -6:00 – 9:00 p.m.
STATE TESTING SCHEDULE
3 Week Window
5th Grade – April 11 – April 29
3rd Grade – April 25 – May 13
4th Grade – May 9 – May 27
Grades 3-6 (MI Access) – April 11 –May 27
1. ACCELERATED READER CHALLENGE. The students have been doing a lot of reading to meet their “Student Self-Challenge”. They have earned 8,181.3 points of the 9,000 needed for the month of March. They continue to strive to reach their goal. Points will be tallied at 9:00 a.m. on April 1st. The students are looking forward to the “March is Reading Month” Assembly to see who will be the lucky winners. We have a long way to go so grab a book and READ, READ, READ!
2. 5th GRADE FIELD TRIP (TIGER BASEBALL) - We still have a few student openings left for the 5th grade field trip. If you have not signed up and are interested in going, please send in your permission slip with a $25.00 deposit or total cost $50.00 per person. The deposit was due on Friday, March 18th. CHAPERONE SPOTS HAVE BEEN FILLED.
3. TEACHER REQUESTS for the 2016-2017 school year are now being taken in the Keicher office. We will continue to take requests during the month of April. We have a super teaching staff at Keicher Elementary, and are excited at the variety of teaching styles we can offer our students. Requests must be written and have an educational reason to be considered for the placement. As much as we are able, we will honor requests made, but there are no guarantees. The deadline is April 29, 2016.
4. 6TH GRADE CAMP is coming soon! Parents, we need you! We especially need dads for overnight supervision of the boys’ cabins. In order to make our kid’s experience at camp wonderful, your assistance is needed to help us chaperone on May 16th and 17th. Any time you can spare is most appreciated. Please call 764-5200 if you can help us out or have any questions. The final payment of $25.00 is due on May 6th.
5. KINDERGARTEN ROUND-UP OPEN HOUSE - Believe it or not, it is time to start thinking about the 2016-2017 school year. Kindergarten Roundup Open House will be held on Thursday, April 14th, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. in the Arnold School gym. Students must be 5 years old on or before September 1, 2016. Please pass this information on to a friend or relative who will have a child starting school in the fall. If your child is already enrolled in Young 5’s, you do not need to re-enroll. Any questions, call 764-5700.
SPRING PICTURE NOTICE
This is the last reminder to order spring portraits.
If you have already ordered your portraits, thank you!
The easiest way to order is to select your favorites and pay online!
1. Go to mylifetouch.com
2. Log in with your Portrait ID and Access Code, located on your package insert.
3. Select which sheets you want to purchase and pay online.
4. Please return unpurchased portraits to your school.
Michigan Center School District May 3rd Bond Proposal Community Town Hall Meetings & Building Tours
In an effort to share information regarding the upcoming May 3rd Bond Proposal, there will be community town hall meetings and tours held at each of our buildings. The informational portion of the meetings at each building will be identical and cover the plans for the entire district, so please feel free to attend only the tour portion at the other buildings.
Keicher Elementary School
April 14th in the West Gymnasium
6:30 PM – Information Presentation/Q & A
7:00 PM – Building Tours
Arnold Elementary School
April 19th in the Gymnasium
6:30 PM – Information Presentation/Q & A
7:00 PM – Building Tours
Please Remember to Vote May 3rd!