Message from the Principal . . .
It's hard to believe December is here and the school year is almost half way over. The holidays are a time when we honor some of the traditions that have helped create memories over the years. For those of you new to LWIT/LWTHS, there are three traditions we celebrate that have been around since long before I got here; the angel tree, the annual potluck party and the ornament exchange.
The angel tree is decorated with numbered angel tags with the ages and genders of our adult students’ children who are in need of presents. Staff members remove one or more tags from the tree and purchase a gift for the child described on the tag. If you are interested in giving to a needy child, stop by the Angel tree located in the LWIT lobby. Please be sure you give the receptionist your angel number so it can be written down. All gifts must be returned to Angie by Wednesday, 12/17.
The annual potluck party coordinated by the Sunshine Club is a great way to celebrate and enjoy the holiday with colleagues. Everyone is invited to bring a covered dish. If your life is hectic and you prefer to make a monetary contribution that is fine too. We have to wait and see if we have been “nice” enough this past year to deserve a visit from Santa Claus that afternoon.
The third tradition is an ornament exchange. Staff wishing to participate, draw a name, purchase an ornament and exchange the ornaments at the potluck party. This weekend, I hung the ornaments I received from Stephanie Scott at the exchange last year, on my tree (check out the picture below).
This holiday season, take time out of your hectic schedules to take part in the LWIT/LWTHS traditions, celebrate the holiday and enjoy the company of your co-workers.
Professional Learning Day - 01.05.15 - Faculty: Please remember to provide your input for the upcoming ‘unconference’ on this survey no later than Wed, Dec 10th
Tech Tool Tuesday will once again focus on iPad Tips and Tricks as we close out the Fall semester. Next session is scheduled for Tue, Dec 9th 2:35pm in 2-233 - hope to see you there! For an update on all sessions, please visit the wiki page.
Spotlight on Strategies - Myth Bustin! Are you familiar with the Discovery Channel TV show, Myth Busters, which tests popular myths to confirm or bust them? This strategy mimics the show by asking students to think about specific information that is critical for upcoming content (which fits very nicely with Marzano’s #6 - Identifying Critical Content). The original PDF version is here. My version using the free polling tool, Poll Everywhere, is based on the Discovery Education video, A Fiery Crash (Note: You will need your Discovery Education credentials to view - if you need assistance with that, let Marie know!) The link to my “Confirmed or Busted” poll only goes to one of the questions, but there are others in the snapshots below and happy to share more. The great thing about Poll Everywhere is it allows students to respond by text (BYOD) or web!
- LWIT/LWTHS is hosting three guest teachers on Tuesday, 12/9 all day. They are involved in a program to observe best practices within classrooms. They will be visiting and observing classrooms throughout the day. Please welcome them if they should visit your classroom.
- Staff Appreciation Day will be Wednesday, 12/10 from 2:30 pm to 4:30 pm. Cosmetology will be offering hair cuts, blow dries, manicures and pedicures. It is open to all staff so stop by for some pampering courtesy of Susan Resatar and the cosmetology students.
- The Phlebotomy students are completing their program and their teacher Peter Quail is having a celebration on 12/10.
- On Friday, 12/12 the servery and all the dining rooms will be closed due to a state-wide FLDOE training. Breakfast and lunch will be served out of the cafe.
- Party!! Party!! There will be a staff Holiday Potluck party on Friday, 12/19 at 12:00 pm in the dining room. The party will be our in-service for the month. Stop by the LWIT or LWTHS reception desk to indicate what dish you are bringing.
- There will be a PBS Celebration Event (music and raffles) in the courtyard during lunch on the Early Release Day, 12/19.
- LWTHS teachers please review the exam schedule. The midterm/final exams run from 12/8-12/19. If you have any questions, please contact Jeff Rexford or Lynne Bruce.
- PLT Reflection forms for the month of December are due 12/19.
- As the holiday break approaches, please remind students of expectations as necessary and be visible in hallways during transition times as this will encourage positive behaviors.
Kudos to . . .
- Amanda Vaquez, Melissa Casanova, Emily Bordner, Olivia Ralston, and Angie Imbriale for all their help with the Christmas tree lighting event on 5th Ave.
- Bob Jackson, Rick Ponton, Chef Geri, Chef Becca, Chef Chris, Amy Wilkins and students for hosting a successful SCORE luncheon
- Ray Smith and Angie Imbriale for coordinating the support staff meeting
- Nancy Turmelle and surgical technology students for taking part in the Springs Creek Elementary school teddy bear clinic
- Jill Peterson for serving on the practical nursing interviewing committee
- Homework Club and EOC Club staff (Donna Lang and Dawn Peck) for a successful first week with the number of students in attendance growing from 13 on 12/2 to 33 on 12/4! Also, thanks to Donna Huprich and Tiffany Hall for giving their time at the Homework Club on 12/4 to help students with Math.
- Laurie Lattarulo and Margo Dagher for driving students home last week after homework club.
- Staff who continue to write positive referrals for students who are exceeding expectations-37 were processed last week!
- Mary Ann O'Brien
- Lynne Bruce
- Chris Fowler
Staff Meetings and Trainings
- 12/8, LWIT Leadership Meeting, 2:35-3:30 p.m.
- 12/9, LWTHS Leadership Meeting, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- 12/9, Tech Tuesday, Room 2-235, 2:35 p.m.
- 12/10, LWTHS Department PLCs, 2:00 - 2:35 p.m.