Old Town Star Staff News
November 18th-November 30th
Our Next Week...
Monday, November 18
Mya's Coaching Day
Leslie Long Off Campus
Progress Reports Go Home This Week
Library closed for book fair previews
Blue Santa collections all week
Tuesday, November 19
Mya off campus (District Mtg.)
Minor off campus AM (Principal’s Mtg)
Book Fair 7:30-6:30
Wednesday, November 20
Mya’s Coaching Day
The Contemporary Austin Museum Trip - 5th Art
Book Fair 7:30-3:30
SLT Mtg 3:10pm.
Thursday, November 21
ARD Mtg. (see separate schedule)
Principal’s Coffee 8:00am.
Mya to Board Meeting 7:00pm
Library closed for book fair pack up
Friday, November 22
CAT mtg. 8:50am
SST’s Kg – 2nd grade
Library open for passes only
Kona Ice 2:45pm.
Happy Birthday Beth Page!
Sunday, November 24
Happy Birthday Manuela Duarte!
Happy Birthday Juan Moreno!
- Be sure your students get an opportunity to spend those hard earned tickets in the Star Store!
- Greeting each of your students in the morning each day really sets a positive and safe tone for your classroom climate!
- Check our Professional Learning and Events Calendar regularly as revisions/additions are made often...http://goo.gl/u8peV
Instructional Tech News
NEW GOOGLE FEATURE!!!
Over the next few days, we’ll be rolling out a feature that lets you view Gmail attachments and save files directly to Google Drive without ever leaving Gmail. The next time you open an email with attachments, you’ll see new previews of the files at the bottom of the email. When you click on one of those previews, a full-screen view of the image or document will appear. You can now also save your attachments directly to Drive simply by clicking the Drive button that appears when you hover over the preview.
Click this link to learn the Top 10 Google search tricks-->http://lifehacker.com/top-10-clever-google-search-tricks-1450186165
Sign up for Remind101 to get urgent school information via TEXT! You are not required to sign up, but if you'd like to be included in receiving up to the minute information:
Join our Old Town google+ community here--->http://goo.gl/2TCEXw
Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself~John Dewey
Out & About...
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see"~ Mark Twain
Congratulations to Jan Meyer, star Music Teacher...our STAR Teacher of the Week receiving the most nominations! You are entitled to a week long jeans pass and designated parking!
Her colleagues write:
- She is a gifted student manager, a supportive teammate, and an all around fabulous teacher!!
- Jan is doing a phenomenal job directing that huge choir group mostly on her own. She is handling her less than ideal space to practice very professionally. I applaud her poise and charisma.
- Jan always does her job with a smile. Old Town children are so lucky to have such an awesome music teacher.
- She is generally awesome and a fabulous teacher and collaborator!
- Jan works really hard to ensure a successful music program and is great with the kids! She did an outstanding job preparing them for musical performances at both the Veteran's Day celebration and the Old Town 25th Celebration.
I absolutely enjoy getting to read all of the ToW nominations! Be sure to share your affirmation with your star nominee!
Our warmest appreciations go out to Old Town's Veteran's Day Committee for planning yet another amazing and special celebration of our nation's finest
A GINORMOUS THANK YOU!!! to our 25th Anniversary Committee for planning such a commemorative event! Kudos to Jan and Karen for leading our 4th grade students did an amazing job and "Deep In the Heart of Old Town" is a treasure! We had over 200 people attend and so many compliments were shared!! What a great celebration it was!!
Way to Go OTE Barbara and her awesome Kitchen crew for earning a PERFECT Score
on this week's Health Inspection!
Remember to thank a PTA member for the tasty treats on Wednesday! They truly go above and beyond to show their appreciation for our work with students!
What a full week this week! Thank each of you for your time and attention during Wednesday's Faculty Meeting! Though it was longer than expected, many walked away with some useful tools and next steps in terms of Science instruction and vocabulary development! Thank you again for your patience and flexibility!
Have a well deserved enjoyable weekend!
An Eye On the Gifted...
Engaging the Brain through Active Listening with Active Storytelling
- Partners decide who will be the first storyteller. The teacher suggests a story prompt.
- The partners separate about 6’ apart or more.
- When the music starts, the partners run toward each other and continue to jog in place while the first storyteller begins to tell the story.
- The other partner is the “active” listener. When the music stops, the partners separate for about 5 seconds.
- When the music starts again, the partners run toward each other and continue to jog in place.
- The second partner becomes the storyteller and continues the story exactly where the first partner left off.
- This process continues with partners alternately continuing to tell the story.
Professional Resource of the Week! Check out your copy today!
The Week After...
Monday, November 25
Mya’s Coaching Day
3rd grade trip to Bob Bullock Museum 10:00am
Dragon Scales visits 4th grade
Blue Santa collections all week
Tuesday, November 26
Minor’s Coaching Day
PTA pies for all staff (on the stage)
Wednesday, November 27
Thursday, November 28
Friday, November 29
Saturday, November 30
Happy Birthday Vicki Brown!