The Sunflower

A Newsletter from Braeburn Elementary School

Jeffrey F. Sousa, Principal

45 Braeburn Road,West Hartford, CT 06107 Phone : (860) 561-2200 Fax: (860) 521-8416

~ Last day of school is Friday, June 14 and there is an early dismissal at 2:00 pm ~

A Message from the Principal...

June 2019

Dear Braeburn Families,

We have reached another educational milestone for your child(ren) with the conclusion of a wonderful school year. These successes and achievements are attributed to our educators, parents and students working together. Thank you!

The end of the year is also a time to reflect and analyze our current school year and look forward to next year. I am excited to share that 130 of you took the time to respond to the parent survey and I believe that the high rate of satisfaction expressed by many parents is a testament of our effective work together. I want to personally thank each and every one of you that responded. My staff and I will continue to analyze the results of the survey in an effort to identify school improvement goals and the steps necessary to achieve them. I am pleased that over 94% of those of you who responded to the survey indicated that you felt positive about Braeburn’s school climate either all or most of the time; however, I want to express my sincere desire to continue to work the remaining 6% of you who appear to be less satisfied. Because the survey was anonymous, I cannot effectively address the dissatisfaction of these parents without knowing more. If you are among them, please accept my invitation to meet with me at some point this summer when we can focus together on your concerns without interruption. While I cannot guarantee your satisfaction, I do promise that I will listen carefully and attempt to find a resolution. Please call or email me to set up an appointment.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know you and your children this year and I look forward to taking the next steps in our partnership. I appreciate the tremendous support that we have received from parents during this year here at Braeburn and I thank you for the continued privilege to serve you and your children. Thank you for your involvement in our important work of building a great school.

Additionally, class placement letters will be mailed on Friday, August 10th. Also, mark your calendars for Open House Monday, August 26, 2019 2:00-3:00 and Curriculum Night September 19, 2019: Grades K-2 (6:00-6:45), Specials (6:30-7:15), Grades 3-5 (7:00-7:45).

Have a wonderful summer filled with great memories, health and fun!


Jeffrey F. Sousa

Coming Up this Summer....

Big picture

Message to Students and Families on

The Commissioner’s 2019 Summer Math Challenge: A Journey Through Mathematics

Our school is excited to participate in the 2019 Commissioner’s Summer Math Challenge: A Journey Through Mathematics recently announced by the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE). See Commissioner's Message to Parents and Students. The CSDE in partnership with Metametrics is offering this FREE math skills maintenance program based on grade-level standards to students who have just completed grades 1 through 8. A state-sponsored summer math challenge program is also offered for high school students through Khan Academy.

Families can register their students for this state-sponsored challenge beginning on Monday, June 17th. Directions on how to register students entering Grades 1-12 can be found here. Families will receive daily emails through July 26, 2019 with activities and links to educational resources. Each week of the six-week program targets a different grade level concept.

When registering your child, please enter your child's grade level and overall math performance (finds math at grade level easy, usually performs at grade level, or struggles with math at grade level). This information will support you and your child's engagement with the program activities. Please leave the sections on Quantile measures blank or, if prompted, "do not know." This math challenge is being sponsored in many states across the country, and Quantile is not a measure currently used by all CT districts.

Information for the Commissioner’s Summer Math Challenge can also be found on the district website ( Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment page). Click here for a link to the math log. We ask children who have completed the math challenge to return their completed logs to classroom teachers at the start of school.

We hope you will enjoy engaging in the Summer Math Challenge with your child this summer! If any questions, please contact our school office or Kerry Jones, Director of Elementary Education, at