Free Online Resources from DCPL
Highlights from DSA's Library Card Sign Up Day
Important: For most of these resources you must have a valid DCPL library card
- Attend your school's "Library card sign up day" & you are ready to go...
If you missed library card sign up day ...
Career and Test Prep favorites...
All of us at Recorded Books believe that master teachers, through their keen insights and broad experiences, are uniquely positioned to engage students as they impart the knowledge and strategies proven to maximize test scores. Using a well established "test-grade-review" methodology and a proprietary online, video-based delivery platform, RBdigital Test Prep makes connecting with an expert affordable and possible - anytime and from virtually anywhere in the world.
DCPL Databases for Students
CQ Researcher provides award winning in-depth coverage of the most important issues of the day. Our reports are written by experienced journalists, footnoted and professionally fact-checked. Full-length articles include an overview, historical background, chronology, pro/con feature, plus resources for additional research. Graphics, photos and short "sidebar" features round out the reports. Shorter "Hot Topics" articles provide a solid introduction to subjects most in demand by students.
A powerful, easy-to-use search engine is one of the most important tools for online researchers. Grolier Online (V 3.0) features a large "Find It Fast" search box at the top of each page. By entering a term or terms into this box and clicking "Search", you will be searching not only all licensed Grolier Online databases, but also a collection of News Stories, Fast Facts, Magazines, Websites, Media, and Spanish-language material, making searching simple yet comprehensive.
NoveList K-8 Plus (available through GALILEO K-12 aka no library card required)
NoveList K-8 Plus is a comprehensive reading resource for fiction and nonfiction. With a fun and intuitive interface, and extensive proprietary content, NoveList K-8 Plus will help you integrate reading across the curriculum and support your young readers.
Opposing Viewpoints in Context
Opposing Viewpoints in Context is the premier online resource covering today’s hottest social issues, from Offshore Drilling to Climate Change, Health Care to Immigration. Opposing Viewpoints in Context helps students research, analyze and organize a broad variety of data for conducting research, completing writing assignments, preparing for debates, creating presentations and more.
In addition to the engaging, streamlined interface and media-rich topic pages, the product's unprecedented collection of content and curriculum-focused tools that help students explore issues from all perspectives include:
- Pro/con viewpoint essays
- Topic overviews
- More than 300 primary source documents
- Biographies of social activists and reformers
- Court-case overviews
- Periodical articles
- Statistical tables, charts and graphs
- Images and a link to Google Image Search
- Podcasts, including weekly presidential addresses and premier NPR programs
- A national and state curriculum standards search, correlated to the content that allows educators to quickly identify material by grade and discipline
Opposing Viewpoints in Context contains more than 700 Greenhaven Press, Gale, Macmillan Reference USA™, Charles Scribner’s Sons® and U·X·L titles. New reference content is added on an ongoing basis, and new full-text periodical and newspaper articles are added every day. Included in the resource are:
- More than 400 titles from Greenhaven Press Series, including Opposing Viewpoints, Opposing Viewpoints Digests, At Issue, Contemporary Issues Companion, Current Controversies and Teen Decisions
- Fifteen proprietary Gale print sets, including Activists, Rebels, and Reformers; Civil Rights in the United States; Drugs and Controlled Substances: Information for Students; Encyclopedia of American Foreign Policy; Environmental Encyclopedia; Great American Court Cases; Tsunamis; Encyclopedia of Sociology; and Macmillan Profiles: Humanitarians and Reformers
RB Test Prep
Scholarships, Fellowships and Loans (GALE Virtual Reference Library E-Book)
Scholarships, Fellowships and Loans: A Guide to Education-Related Financial Aid Programs for Students and Professionals
Cannot be accessed at any public school. Students may log on at the Public Library ,home or from any none DeKalb County School District networked device.