May 31, 2021 Principal Message
Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
Dear Jeffreys Grove Families,
I hope you've enjoyed Memorial Day weekend and feel ready to start the week! We will be hosting a drive-through parade on June 11 to honor our fifth graders for all their hard work at Jeffreys Grove. Information has been shared with 5th grade families.
As the end of the year quickly approaches, I wanted to ensure that all parents know that they have an opportunity to provide input regarding their child’s class placement for the 2021 – 2022 school year. Parents are welcome to send me an email/letter outlining qualities and characteristics of a teacher that you feel will be best for your child for the upcoming school year. Requests that have specific teacher names will not be accepted. If you’d like to have input in your child’s placement, please send a letter/email to me at email@example.com by Friday, July 15, 2021.
- May 31 - Memorial Day Holiday - no school
- June 1 - Grade 5 ELA EOG Make ups
- June 2 - Grade 3 Math EOG
- June 3 - Grade 3 Math EOG Make ups & Grade 4 ELA EOG
- June 4 - Grade 5 Science EOG
- June 7 - Grade 4 ELA EOG Make ups
- June 8 - Grade 4 Math EOG & Grade 5 Science EOG Make ups
- June 9 - Grade 5 Math EOG
- June 10 - Grades 4-5 Math EOG Make ups
- June 10 - Last day of school for students
- June 10 - Report card go home.
End of Year technology updates
- Students returning to any WCPSS school will keep their currently checked out Chromebooks. We will not collect Chromebooks from any student who is returning to any WCPSS school. We will only collect these from students who are withdrawing from WCPSS.
- All hotspots must be collected by the end of the school year. Information regarding hotspot availability for next year will be shared at a later date by our district.
- Students who are issued a WCPSS Chromebook must bring it with them to school daily.
- All students who do not have a district device will be assigned one at the beginning of the 2021-22 school year. This is a district initiative - devices and procedures will be provided.
New! To assist students who are leaving WCPSS, a “Before You Leave” web page has been created to assist with technology-related items that families will find useful.
Accessing Instruction While Absent
If your child must quarantine due to having a symptom of illness, exposure or a positive COVID diagnosis, we will temporarily place them in a Virtual Academy classroom so that they can access their work. They are only expected to access their work if they are feeling well enough to do so! If they are ill and cannot complete their work, please let the teacher know and they will work to allow them to make it up upon their return.
Health measures for 21-22 school year
While there is no way for us to know at this time what health precautions will be required in August, we’re preparing for a traditional start. We recognize the difficult challenge this creates for families needing to make an informed decision now about how their student will attend school next year. Whether you choose to attend school in person or remotely through the Virtual Academy, we are committed to providing every student with relevant, rigorous, and meaningful learning every day that aligns with North Carolina’s grade-level standards.
The health and safety of our students is always our top priority. We will continue to adhere to any health measures required by the NC Department of Health and Human Services and consult with Wake County Public Health to determine what precautions are needed in our school to keep our students, staff, and community healthy in a safe and welcoming environment.
Rising Kindergarten Registration
If you have a rising kindergartener for the 2021-2022 school year, registration is now open. Please visit the Wake County website for more information.
If you missed the Kindergarten Orientation held on May 25th the slidedeck with all the pertinent information is available on our website for your reference.
If there is anything we can do to support you, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or Ms. Scott.
Breakfast and lunch will be available at no cost to students for the 2021-22 school year.
While the district may be able to offer free meals to all students, it is very important for eligible parents to complete a meal benefits application because this data enables schools to obtain funding to provide other important educational resources to benefit students. Other benefits that are issued directly to families that have applied and are eligible for meal benefits may also be available (such as the P-EBT cash benefit). Parents can complete a meal benefits application online at myschoolapps.com. Paper applications also are available at all schools. More: www.wcpss.net/free-reduced-meals.
It is critical that families complete this paperwork if you have a need. This is what helps us as a school to secure additional federal funding. Please fill this out even though your child is eligible to receive free school meals next year.
Along with this Title 1 funding, also comes staffing positions. In the past, we have been able to use the additional positions to support classroom teaching, intervention, and coaching positions.
We highly encourage all families to complete the application, even if you think you might not qualify. You never know, it might just help!
Hello JG Community,
We've almost made it to the end of this very unusual school year! I want to wish everyone a great summer break and I look forward to seeing our Eagles in August! My final newsletter for this school year has some family summer resources.
Take care and SOAR on Eagles!
Here comes the bus
WCPSS Transportation provides families of students who ride a yellow bus to school with a free bus tracking system called Here Comes the Bus.
Here Comes the Bus translates GPS data into an easy to use customizable map that works on a computer, tablet or smartphone. The app allows you to see where the bus is and how close it is to your stop.
- Get started with Here Comes the Bus at https://herecomesthebus.com/parents/get-started/. You will need the district code and your student’s ID number to sign up. For your smartphone or tablet, download the Here Comes the Bus app from the App Store or Google Play.
The WCPSS school code for Yellow Bus is 67500.
The WCPSS school code for Vendor Transportation Services is 67501.
For more information visit https://www.wcpss.net/Page/35380
- Looking to get more involved at JGMES? You came to the right place! We are in need of volunteers year round to help make JGMES the best school it can be. Please take a moment to fill out our PTA Volunteer Interest Survey. Thank you in advance; we couldn't do this without YOU! Note: Completing this survey does not obligate you to do anything.
- Looking for ways to get connected with the JG PTA and other Jeffreys Grove families? Join Memberhub! The Jeffreys Grove PTA uses Memberhub as a means of communication with families throughout the year. Cheri Thomas, the JG PTA President, sends out a weekly newsletter, providing "save the date" information, fundraising updates, advocacy information, and other school-wide information. Please click here to join Jeffreys Grove Memberhub."
Click here to read past PTA newsletters.