News Now with Norris!
A weekly newsletter from your Norris Knights.
September 11, 2015
Communication. Communication is defined as the imparting or exchanging of information or news and it is also defined as a means of connecting between people or places. I think we all have our minds around the first definition so let's spend just a little time looking at the latter definition. Communication is the means of connecting people or places. I would like for you to extend me a little leeway here with the definition. What would happen if we removed the word "or" and inserted the word "and"? It brings on a different level of importance, right?
At Norris, the faculty and I are striving to build a level of communication where our people (kids, parents, teachers, volunteers, community partners) AND our place (school, home, neighborhoods) are connected together as one. One united team, one united front. When we connect on this level, our children have the absolute best chance of being successful. But, not only do they have the best chance of being successful, they also have the best chance of thriving. That's what we all want...our kids to thrive in their life. At least that's what I always wanted for Isaac and Karlie when they were in school, in fact, I still want it for them.
With that in mind, can we make a deal? What if we all made a commitment to communicate with each other, in such an all inclusive way, that every time we passed each other we would try to connect for the benefit of our kids?
Who is with me?
Again, happy Friday!
Campus Connecting Corner!
- Speaking of communication, have you noticed the Safety Patrol is on duty now? We are teaching them the very important social skill of how to greet people when opening the doors or coming into contact with someone. You make their day when you respond to them!
- Save the date for parent teacher conferences. It will be on October 12th. This is a time for you to visit with your child's teacher to find out how your child is progressing.
- When visiting for lunch, we ask that you and your child sit at one of the parent tables located closest to our stage.
- Have you been to a Norris Now yet? We are getting the kinks smoothed out and it is looking great. Each grade level class will do a short performance of an academic skill they have learned in class. They will start rotating during Norris Now each Friday at 2 pm, Watch for an email from your child's teacher throughout the year so that you will know when the special day is coming.
- Our food drive is in full force. It continues through next week if your family would like to participate. I feel a pie coming on!
- Make sure to review the My Payments Plus Flyer that came home in the Thursday folder yesterday. This will help clarify how to properly use the system.
- Don't forget...we have been invited to the IHS football game tonight for "Little Knights Night". The game starts at 7 pm at FISD Memorial Stadium.
- GREAT NEWS...we have been invited to attend a Pre-Game Spirit Line at the Heritage Football game on October 9th. More information will come home soon in your child's folder. Thanks to Brad Tate for encouraging me to seek out connections with Heritage as well as IHS. Great idea, Brad!
News from our PTA
Spirit Night at Mooyah!
Thanks for all of you who turned out for our last Spirit Night at Bahama Bucks. It was a great success. Let's do it again on WEDNESDAY, September 16th from 3 pm to 9 pm at Mooyah located at 1411 N. Custer Rd, McKinney, TX 7507. See you there!
MINI SWEETHEART DANCE CLINIC October 12, 2015
The Centennial High School Sweethearts are hosting their 13th annual Fall Mini Sweetheart Dance Clinic on Monday October 12th. What a great place to send your daughter to learn about dance and be with the Sweethearts! Mini Sweethearts will learn a fun and exciting dance routine, play fun games, and have their picture taken with their Sweetheart Buddy. Mini Sweethearts will also receive a photo and a cool Sweetheart T-shirt. Participants are invited to perform during half-time of the CHS JV football game on October 15th. Please note that all registration forms and payments will be completed online this year.You can register online here: https://goo.gl/v3JpNY You can pay via MyPaymentsPlus here: https://www.mypaymentsplus.com/default.aspx See flyer below for more inforamtion!