The Eagle Soars
Sunflower Elementary - September 7, 2018
WHAT'S COMING UP?
All Week - Sunflower Safety Week (see detailed schedule below)Monday, September 10 - PTO Dining Night at Mod Pizza 3-8 pm
Tuesday, September 11 - Site Council Meeting - 6 pm - library
Thursday, September 13 - Dental Screenings for Kdg, 2nd, & 4th
View our online calendar (select individual events for more details):
NOTES FROM THE OFFICE
Visiting a Classroom/Teacher
All classroom visitations and conferences with teachers must be arranged with the respective educator in advance. As part of our comprehensive safety plan, all guests will be announced by office personnel and gain teacher approval before guests visit a classroom and/or teacher.
3 Ways to Report Absences
- This might be the easiest way if you're planning on also letting the teacher know by email. Please include Christine Jacobs (email@example.com) or Janet McConville (firstname.lastname@example.org) on the email.
- Call our attendance phone line at 913-856-3749 and leave a voice mail message telling us your student's name, grade, teacher, and reason for absence.
- Use our online form to report the absence. Click HERE for the Google Form.
PTO DINING NIGHT - MONDAY, SEPT. 10 at MOD PIZZA OLATHE
As we enter into Fall/Winter, it is a great time to remind our school community of the measures we take to keep students healthy and prevent the spread of communicable diseases.
- We reinforce frequent hand washing with our students and coughing/sneezing into a tissue or their sleeve (not their hands).
- In addition, we refer to the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment (JCDHE) recommendations when determining the need to send a student home from school (see attached document). The JCDHE recommendation chart provides specific guidance on when a student can be readmitted to school.
- For example, students are to be fever-free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of a fever reducing medication before returning to school.
Occasionally we receive questions about head lice management in our schools, and we have included a document with up-to-date information.
- As needed, we will inform parents when we see an increase in illnesses in our school population with the potential for rapid spread among students and staff (such as influenza) or in the rare instance we have a mandatory reportable disease occur in our population, like Mumps. General Head lice notifications are not recommended as they have been found to cause harm and lead to unnecessary treatment. Instead, the school nurse will assess the need for notification on an individual basis to those considered close contacts.
Thank you for reinforcing healthy habits with our students. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at (913) 856-3719.
Janice Haney BSN, RN
Sunflower Elementary school nurse
VISION and HEARING SCREENINGS
WATCH D.O.G.S. and EAGLE M.O.M.S. T-SHIRT ORDER FORMS DUE SEPTEMBER 14
2018-2019 YEARBOOKS ON SALE NOW!
- Full Color Pages
- All Grades Represented
- Great Pictures From School Events
2 Easy Ways to Order:
- Click on the picture above or access your Skyward account via www.usd231.com to place an order using your debit/credit card.
- Download and print out an order form below. Return the completed form along with cash or check to the Sunflower office.
YOUNG REMBRANDTS ART CLASSES - You can still enroll!
IN SEARCH OF AMAZING YEARBOOK PHOTOS
GEYCP LITTLE BLAZERS CHEER CLINIC
On Wednesday, September 19th, we will host the clinic at GEHS from 5:30 pm-8:00 pm. Check In will be from 5:00 pm-5:30 pm in the Auxiliary Gym at GEHS. The cheerleaders will teach our Little Blazers chants, cheers and safe stunting.
On Friday, September 21st, the Little Blazers will attend the home football game versus Olathe East High School. They will be cheering on the track with the high school cheerleaders during the first quarter of the game.
For Registration, go here: http://bit.ly/2MKQPUy
GEYCP YOUTH EXPERIENCE -- For Ages 4-6
Energetic and dedicated teachers and coaches will work with participants on ways to have fun, develop specific motor and individual sport skills while stressing the importance of teamwork, sportsmanship, paying attention, and playing hard.
GIRL SCOUT OPEN HOUSE
Sunflower Site Council Meetings 2018-2019
The Sunflower Site Council will be meeting at 6 pm in the library on the following dates: 9/11/18, 11/13/18, 2/5/19, 4/9/19.
All meetings are open to the public.
Kansas schools are required to establish site councils composed of the principal, teachers and other school personnel, parents,
business representatives, and other community groups.
Site councils have a responsibility to provide advice and counsel in the following areas: evaluating district and school performance goals and objectives,
determining methods to meet those goals and objectives,
and other areas as requested by the board of education.
Remember, the work of the site council is advisory only;
it makes recommendations, not decisions.
We invite everyone to join the Sunflower PTO Facebook page. By searching "Gardner Sunflower PTO" under Pages, you will be able to join the group and receive updated PTO information.