SPECIAL EDITION: Class of 2022
Post Secondary Planning
THE COLLEGE AND CAREER SEARCH
- Naviance is an online platform that helps students identify and create a list of colleges they are interested in applying to. Students - please email your school counselor if you need to access your username and/or password. Please note that Naviance will only be available to students until February 1, 2022.
- Roadtrip Nation® and College Board have partnered to build Career Finder™, a career exploration tool that helps students make informed academic and career decisions based on what truly drives them. It lets students explore careers aligned to their interests, and plan small steps today, to help build their future plan.
AM I READY TO APPLY?
- College Preparation Checklist
- Planning for your Future (slideshow)
- Be sure to ask 1-2 teachers for a letter of recommendation before the end of the school year. This supplement for teachers can be provided to help them craft their letters of recommendation.
- Each school counselor will be posting a Supplement on their Canvas page for students to fill out. This should be filled out and submitted on Canvas as soon as possible!
I'M READY...NOW WHAT?
- Common App accounts can be created on August 1st. See the First Time Applicant Guide for help.
- The 2021-2022 Common App Essay Prompts can be found here
Non-Common App Schools
- If a student is applying to a Non-Common App School, they will need to fill out a transcript request form. All fields need to be filled out accurately to ensure proper transmission of a student's transcript.
- The Coalition for College is a common alternative platform to Common App.
- Looking to study outside the US? Guide to International University Admission
Timeline for Standardized testing
SAT (Aug. 28, Oct. 2, Nov. 6, Dec. 4)
ACT (June 12, July 17, Sept. 11, Oct. 23, Dec. 11)
Notes on Registration:
If you are looking to apply in the early decision/action pool and you wish to send your test scores, be sure to sign up for the August and September test dates so that you are able to send your scores to your post-secondary schools in time!
BHS administers all SAT tests and only the April and October ACT dates. If a student would like to take the ACT during a month other than April or October, the student will have to select a different school location.
Submitting Scores to Post-Secondary Schools
The College Planning Center of RI is an excellent resource for families who need assistance in completing the FAFSA form.
Complete Financial Aid Forms
FAFSA (apply for a pin number in the fall, submit an application beginning on 10/1) and CSS Profile (if required).
Check out the BHS Counseling Website for the 2020-2021 Financial Aid Night Presentation
Take a look at this year's Scholarship information to get a sense of the different opportunites that were available this year. This will get updated in the fall for the Class of 2022 !
Still Looking? College Fairs, Helpful Webinars & Resources
College Fairs & Virtual College Visits:
- Youvisit.com - Virtual College Tours
- Going to visit schools in person? Check out this Campus Visit Guide presented by College Board.
- College Fair Checklist - A college fair is a gathering of college representatives who are looking for the right students for their institution. The checklist from College Board will help you get the most out of each fair.
- Stay tuned for Virtual College Fairs presented by NACAC!
- Next year's local college fair will be held on September 21, 2022 at Mt. Hope High School!
- Keep your eyes peeled for up to date announcements posted on your school counselor's Canvas page!
Helpful Webinars and Resources to Check out:
- 3 Tips to Nail Your Admission Interview - Presented by Holy Cross
- The 4 Keys to Writing a Killer College Essay - Presented by Holy Cross
- The Inside Scoop: How Applications Are Read and Admission Decisions Are Made - Presented by Holy Cross
- Application Tips for 2020 - Presented by Tulane
- Tips and Tricks to Applying to Selective Schools - Presented by Tulane
- Applying to College During Covid - Presented by Tulane