The Simon School Days Newsletter
April 11, 2016
Dear Parents and Families of Simon Elementary:
The last trimester of the school year is upon us. I can hardly believe it. It seems like we just started unpacking all those new crayons, pencils, and packs of paper. The last school day for PREK/EC students will be May 27. The last day for all other students will be May 31 until 12:40, lunch will be served this day.
At Simon, the teachers and Mr. Mandera have already been pre-planning for next year. Just a reminder…
We will not take parental requests for your child’s teacher for next year nor can we honor requests to make sure certain students are not placed in the same classroom with your child. These requests will only be taken as “parental advisement” by the teacher and principal and will not be guaranteed.
All (K-5) classroom placements will be finalized by Mr. Mandera (EC/PREK- grade 2) and Mr. Monahan (grade 3-5). Class lists will be posted on Friday, August 19 at each elementary school.
2016-17 Registration Packets will be sent home on May 2.
Reminder about Remind
Instead of placing tons of information into a newsletter, we use a different way to "get the word out". Remind is a free text messaging service that will be used to send daily and/or weekly announcements to you to be informed about what is going on at Simon Elementary. How do you sign up to receive these text messages?
*Enter this number (815) 401-9303 with this message @simon1516
By joining the group on Remind, you’re choosing to receive class messages via push notifications, SMS, or email. Don’t worry, your phone number will not be shared with the teacher or anyone else in the group.
That's it! You will start receiving messages next week.
2016-2017 Countdown to Kindergarten
Will you have a child that turns five years old on or before September 1, 2016? If the answer is yes, then they will be able to attend kindergarten starting next school year. Here are some things to think about as the next school year approaches.
What immunizations will my child need?
- Before children can start kindergarten in Illinois, they need a physical examination by a doctor or other health care provider. They also need to have all immunizations up-to-date. Be sure to start early so they’re ready for that first day. If you’re not sure what immunizations your children need, talk to their doctor, your local health department, or call the Illinois Public Health Department at 217-782-4977.
Will my child need to have a certified birth certificate?
- Yes, all children need to have a copy of their certified birth certificate on file at school prior to the first day of attendance.
What will the teacher expect my child to be able to do?
- A child entering kindergarten is usually able to walk, run, and climb.
- She should be able to hold and use a pencil, crayons, and scissors.
- She should talk well enough for others to understand what she is saying and know that words can be written as well as spoken. Help her see and hear how objects and sounds may be alike or different.
What group skills does my child need?
- Does your child get along with other children and adults?
- In kindergarten he’ll need to be able to work alone and with others.
- He can be an “old hand” at these skills if you work with him on listening to a story in a group;following rules; and carrying out two or three directions; taking turns, respecting others’ property, and sharing; taking care of his own things, such as his coat; going to the toilet and washing his hands; and finishing his work.
What kinds of knowledge and experience help prepare my child?
- Help her learn about the world around her. Take her on interesting trips—to the library or grocery store, on a bus ride, or to a museum or park—and talk with her about what she sees. Encourage her curiosity, and help her find answers to her questions.
- Teach her the names of colors and shapes.
- Make sure she knows her full name and how to get to school and back.
Kindergarten Pre-enrollment can be done online now!
2015-16 Instructional Fees and Change of Address
Parents please make sure you have updated the school office if you have changed your home or cell phone numbers since the beginning of the school year. Also, if you have changed addresses during the school year, please make sure you have given your proof of residency to the district office or your child will not receive a registration packet for the 2016-17 school year.
Finally, if you have any outstanding registration fees from this school year, your child will not receive a 2016-17 registration packet. Registration packets are tentatively set to be given out on May 2, 2016.
If you have any questions please call 815.335.2318.
Outstanding Lunch Balances
It is VERY important to keep your child’s lunch accounts up to date. We will not allow students to charge lunches. If you have questions about your account balance, please call Beth Swigart at Simon 335-2318 between 7:15 –3PM.
Also, the last day that Simon will serve breakfast will be Thursday, May 26.
Square 1 Art Fundraiser
We are participating in a school sponsored fundraiser called Square 1 Art.
This fundraiser takes your child’s artwork and makes it into great products for you to purchase. These products are wonderful keepsakes and gifts for family and friends. Your child has been busy making beautiful artwork that can be made into many fun products such as magnets, t-shirts, mouse pads, ornaments and much more!
The money raised from this fundraiser will enable the school to continue its efforts in supporting our students. Your help is needed for us to continue offering these opportunities to our school.
Two Easy Ways to Order
1. Paper order form located on the back of the catalog that was sent home already. Your child's very own artwork and name will be printed on the front!
2. Online at www.square1art.com/shop. Shop useful custom products that display your child's artwork!
Your Order Counts
Make a difference by helping us reach our fundraising goal. Square 1 Art is a wonderful fundraiser that celebrates your child's artwork along with helping our school.
Jump Rope for Heart- Students have been doing an excellent job of raising money so far! The money we raise goes to helping the American Heart Association. The final day for turning in money is Friday, April 15th. Classes will participate in JRFH activities during their PE classes.
Field Days- Be on the lookout for volunteer letters for Field Days next month. Early Childhood/Kindergarten Field Day is on Monday, May 23rd. 1st and 2nd grade Field Day is on Friday, May 20th. Volunteers are appreciated and make the event run smoothly. The more the better!
Any questions please e-mail Mr. Flynn at firstname.lastname@example.org
AR Challenge Day and DEAR Day (Drop Everything and Read)
On March 24, Simon Elementary students were completing against McNair Elementary to read and pass more AR quizzes than the year before. Unfortunately, McNair won the title this year. However, we did a great job with just over 3,000 AR quizzes passed on March 24. Simon Elementary will hold it annual DEAR Day on Thursday, May 26. For more great books for DEAR Day please visit this website.
Mark Your Calendars - Kids Club 2016-17 Registration Night
PTO Meeting - Tuesday, April 12
The regular PTO meeting will start at 6pm at McNair Library.