Ninth Grade News
Week of December 7
It's hard to believe that we are already approaching mid-school year and are looking forward to the successful completion of our first semester. As high school freshmen, the importance of earning credits toward high school graduation requirements is essential. Students must satisfy both of the requirements listed below to earn course credit each semester:
1. The student must earn a semester grade of 70 or greater, and
2. The student must have a 90% attendance rate for the course
This is the last full week of new instruction as Semester Exams will begin on Tuesday of next week. We encourage students to utilize the Student Ascender Portal to check their progress often, engage in Flex productively each day, take advantage of the after school tutoring center if needed, and stay on top of upcoming deadlines. Please note the December semester exam schedule for in-person learners and also the schedule for remote learners is posted below.
We are seeing an increase in the number of students wearing pajamas to school and we have communicated with the student body as a whole to remind them about our dress code standards. We appreciate your help in reminding students that pajamas are not permitted unless it is a specific dress-up day. We do have a few holiday-themed dress days sprinkled throughout this week and next week that we hope students will participate in and enjoy.
We are thankful for your partnership and are looking forward to another great week of Growing Greatness!
Carolyn Ansley, Principal
Monday, December 7
- Advisory Day
- Hats Off to the Holidays! - Students can wear their favorite winter or festive headwear
Tuesday, December 8
- Flex Day
- Men's BB vs. Lake Dallas - AWAY (FR 4:30pm, JV 6:00pm, V 7:30pm)
- Ladycat BB vs. Nolan Catholic - HOME (JV 5:00pm, V 6:30pm)
Wednesday, December 9
- Flex Day
- Mad About Plaid - Students can wear their favorite plaid flannel shirt or scarf
Thursday, December 10
- Flex Day
- Varsity Bi-District Playoff Game vs. Dallas Hillcrest at Bearcat Stadium, 7:00 p.m.
Friday, December 11
- Flex Day
- Band Community Performance/Christmas Concert (8 pm - 9 pm)
Men's BB vs. Glen Rose - AWAY (FR 4:30pm, JV 4:30pm, V 6:00pm)
Ladycat BB vs. Abilene Cooper - HOME (Fr 7:30pm, JV 5pm, V 6:15pm)
Ladycat VB State Tournament - AWAY
Saturday, December 12
- Mens BB vs. Joshua - HOME (FR 10:00am, JV 11:15pm, V 12:30pm)
- Ladycat VB State Tournament - AWAY
Exam Schedule for In-Person Learners:
Exam Schedule for Remote Learners
Due to the asynchronous learning model, our remote learners will not be able to follow the same semester exam schedule as our in-person learners. Remote teachers will schedule exams with remote learners according to the following schedule:
Tuesday, December 15 - Math & Social Studies
Wednesday, December 16 - Science & ELAR
Thursday, December 17 - Electives
Remote Students need to plan to be available for testing on those days.
Deadline to Switch Instructional Models
No changes will be granted between December 4 and December 17. The next deadline to request to change instructional models will be Friday, Feb. 26, which is two weeks before the end of the third nine-week grading cycle.
If you do not want to change instructional models for the third nine-week grading cycle, you do not need to take any action as your child will remain in his or her current instructional model for the third nine-week grading cycle.
COVID Health and Safety Reminders
As we move into cold and flu season and begin to see an uptick in positive COVID-19 cases amongst our students and staff, please be reminded of the health and safety protocols in Aledo ISD's Return to Learn Plan:
- Parents of all students must screen children for symptoms and take the temperature of each of their children before their child attends school every day. Students who have an elevated temperature above 100.4 OR have any COVID-related symptoms must report the symptoms to their campus nurse and stay home. Please do not send students to school with symptoms. For Daniel Ninth Grade, our nurse is Danielle Barnes (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- All students shall wear face coverings at all times while on Aledo ISD property that social distancing, maintaining six feet of distance, is not possible. Face coverings should cover both the nose and mouth of the user.
Aledo ISD COVID-19 Dashboard
Aledo ISD is tracking COVID-19 cases within our school Community. To do this we need your help – if your child ever tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please click this link to complete our AISD COVID Reporting form. Our data will only be as accurate as what is reported to us. Please help us keep our entire community healthy and safe by providing this information as soon as it becomes known to you. To view the Aledo ISD COVID Dashboard, please click here.
Mrs. Elisha Woodson – Biology
One of our Biology teachers at DNG, Mrs. Woodson has her Masters in Learning and Technology from WGU. This is her third year teaching at DNG and she loves it because she is able to see her students flourish and become young adults before her eyes. The things she most looks forward to this year are meeting all the new students and seeing how far they go! If she could have any superpower it would be the ability to eat tacos daily and not gain weight. Something interesting about Mrs. Woodson is that she can rap all the words to “Ice Ice Baby”.
Your student will need to provide evidence that they are a student enrolled in a public, private, or home school and have been attending school for at least 90% of the time. A VOE form is issued by our office.
To Request a VOE Form:
- Your student will scan the QR code in the front office.
- They will need to complete the linked Google form.
- The VOE will be available the following day and can be picked up at the front office. The form will need to be signed by your student and witnessed by office staff.
How do I check my student out for an appointment or early release?
Daniel Ninth Grade Campus is currently closed to visitors. We understand at times, however, it may be necessary for you to pick up your student for an appointment. Please allow for a few extra minutes when picking up your student as we are using a new check out system and have new processes in place. We kindly ask that you follow these procedures when picking up your student:
- Pull up to the student pick up/drop off area in front of our main doors.
- Once you enter the building, please remain in the lobby area. Our office staff will greet you and ask to scan your ID. You can also call our office at 817-441-4504 to let us know you are here. If it is during a passing period, we ask that you please wait outside until the students have exited the building.
- We will then call your student’s teacher to notify them that you are here to pick them up.
How do I report a student absence?
Thank you, parents, for doing a great job of communicating student absences with our office staff and for keeping your child home when they are not feeling well.
If your child is sick or will not be at school for any other reason, please call the school at
(817) 441-4504 or email Sarah Hill at email@example.com to report an absence.
Any student or staff who tests positive for COVID-19 or shows symptoms consistent with COVID-19 or has close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, please complete the AISD COVID-19 Reporting Form.
How do I request a district device?
Your child will need access to a laptop or Chromebook in order to complete assignments in Canvas both at home and school. Please visit the following link if you would like to learn more about checking out a Chromebook from the Aledo ISD Technology Department: https://www.aledoisd.org/Page/4320
Ascender Student Portal
1. Go to the Aledo ISD home page and click on Parents and Students at the top of the page. Then click on Student Portal Link on the left side of the page. (You can also go to the link directly: https://tinyurl.com/y5knvfwa)
2. Click on Create Account
3. Enter your student ID number, date of birth, and the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number.