🌞 Open 🌞 Announcements
November 19, 2023
Dear Open High Family,
Congratulations to the 2023 HOCO Court! What a great time with a great group of students. Events like this don't just happen. Huge thanks to all the parents and volunteers who helped with food, set up, and clean up. And special thanks to our phenomenal teachers Vic, Mary, Caroline, Brigette, and Jasmine who always go above and beyond!
Open's operating budget is meager, so the only way we can continue to provide events like this is to keep supporting our PTSA. We'll continue to ask students for their participation in an Open Call to Give, and supporters can donate at any time. Collection envelopes are in the office for students to take to Thanksgiving gatherings this week. We also have new student winners that will be announced tomorrow morning! If students don't have 10 emails to share, just share as many as you can! You will still be eligible to win points for prizes. For more details, see below. Big thanks to parent Jen Sargent for spearheading this effort.
THANKSGIVING FEAST POTLUCK
Tuesday, November 21
Here is our revised schedule for the day. ECA students will be excused from classes, but should check in with teachers.
- 1st block 8:30- 9:20
- 2nd block 9:25 - 10:15
- 4th block 10:20 - 11:10
- 5th block 11:15 - 12:05
- 6th block 12:10 - 1:00
- Thanksgiving Feast & Fun
- After-school tutoring is canceled
Open is closed Wednesday - Friday for Thanksgiving Break
Let me express my profound gratitude to every single member of this community. For many of us, Open is a labor of love, but it truly takes a loving village to make this small school successful. On behalf of the faculty and staff of Open, have a wonderful holiday.
Clary W. Carleton, Principal
#openhearts #openminds #openhive
'Tis the Season
This is the season for giving to those less fortunate than ourselves. The Black Student Union's Toiletry Drive for the houseless has been extended until November 29. Please contribute the following items if you can: toothpaste, toothbrushes, soaps, body wash, hand sanitizer, wash clothes, travel-size deodorant,/mouthwash. Turn in to your Family Head, and the Family with the most items collected will receive a pizza party during Family!
Strategic Planning Sessions
Strategic Planning Sessions are happening throughout the district so stakeholders can provide feedback on what the next 5 years will look like. Read more about our plans here, and mark your calendar for the following sessions at Open:
- Faculty & Staff Session November 28, 3:30 - 4:45 pm
- Student Focus Group December 5, 3:30 - 4:30 pm SIGN UP HERE
- Student Focus Group (Reps) December 7, 1:35 - 2:30 pm RESCHEDULED
- Families & Caregivers Session January 9, 6:00 - 7:30 pm
Open Call to Give
We at the PTSA are launching a brand-new fundraiser this year called the Open Call to Give. This fundraiser is exactly what it sounds like-- there is no selling, no buying, and no products to manage-- just a call to give. View a video from PTSA President Karen Kelly here.
How does the Open Call to Give work?
It's as easy as 1-2-3! Starting on Wednesday, Nov 15, students 1) submit email addresses (via a form on PTBoard) of friends and family who may want to support Open High School. 2) The PTSA will then send an email on behalf of the student to the addresses provided, asking for a donation to the Open High School PTSA. Recipients will be directed to donate to the PTSA via a link to a PTBoard form. Cash and checks are also accepted, and collection envelopes (with a letter attached explaining the fundraiser) will be available in the office at Open. We particularly encourage students to bring this letter and collection envelope to their Thanksgiving gatherings to share with friends and family.
But FUNdraisers aren’t FUN without prizes, right?
This is where number 3 comes into play! 3) Students who submit 10 or more valid email addresses (if an email bounces back to us as undeliverable, it will not count) will earn a goody bag, even if no one from their email address list contributes to the fundraiser, plus those students' names will be entered into a drawing to win a $25 Visa gift card!
But that's not all! Students will receive one point for each dollar donated by their friends and family (via email/online, via cash, and via checks) and will be able to exchange those points for prizes! Note that this also means that even if they did not submit 10 ore more email addresses, they can still earn points towards prizes. More donations=bigger and better prizes.
- All names and email addresses will be for PTSA use only and will never be shared or sold.
- 100% of donations will go to the PTSA to directly benefit our Open High School students.
- Cash and checks will be accepted as well as online donations. Checks should be made out to the Open High School PTSA. Collection envelopes will be in the office for students to pick up if desired. We particularly encourage students to bring this envelope to their Thanksgiving gatherings to share with friends and family.
- The email address submission form and the donation form can be accessed via the link sent to you from PTBoard, as well as via the attached QR codes (which will also posted at the school).
- All donations are tax deductible and receipts are available upon request. We also encourage donors to take advantage of any corporate matching their employers may offer.
- This fundraiser will run from November 15 through December 1, 2023. Students will be notified of their total points by December 4 and will need to choose their prizes by December 11. Most prizes will be delivered before winter break.
We greatly appreciate our special and unique Open High community and families, and we hope
you will help us make our first Open Call to Give a huge success. Please don’t hesitate to reach
out to WeAreOpenHighPTSA@gmail.com with any questions.
Karen Kelly, PTSA President
Erin Campbell, PTSA Treasurer
Jen Sargent, PTSA Communications Chair