Shepard News & Notes
February 9, 2016
At the end of January, eighth grade students presented their culminating work for Science Fair. The amount of work that students and staff put into this effort was tremendous! Please see below for photos and student reflections on their work.
Also, a tip of the hat to Mr. Bowers, Mrs. Odden, and the entire eighth grade team for their hard work and leadership!
Focus on Instruction
Eighth Grade Science Fair
Here are a few things students had to say about the science fair experience, and what they learned.
- I feel more educated on something I have always desired to know, but never had the right motivation to actually learn about. AT NIGHT though, it was really fun! I really enjoyed sharing what I learned with my family. I definitely impressed them and and it made me so happy! - Maddy
- When doing the presentation, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I was super nervous, but I think I did ok. I've never been so nervous, but I'm glad I'm getting over my fear--whether slow or fast. Community night was awesome! It was cool to see the other presentations and meet my friends' parents for the first time. I was also glad that my dad got to meet my friends for the first time. - Vilma
- I think that Science Fair was really fun. Week after week I put in a lot of effort. . .The actual community night was really fun and cool to show off our project. - Asher
- I learned a lot, about myself, my topic and my peers. I learned that I could really challenge myself, and take that extra time to make my project great, and strive for regionals. . .The presentation and the parents night went very well, a lot of people were interested in our work. Overall I am very happy with the experience. - Clare
- Through science fair I learned more than I thought I would, and still had fun. . .During these past few months, I have practiced time management, collaboration with a partner and working to my best ability. Even though at some times it was stressful due to the amount of work, I came to passion time every week ready to work. I really enjoyed this project because it was a collaboration of art, LA, Math, S.S. and Science all in one big project. I am really proud of our work, it really payed off. - Taylor
1st Posting - Having Food Delivered to Shepard
1st/FINAL Posting - Traffic Reminders
During pick up, please be kind to our neighbors. Do not park in front of driveways and refrain from making 3-point turns in the street or in our neighbors driveways to head north on Grove. Not only do our neighbors frequently complain about their driveways being used for this purpose, this presents a safety risk to our students.
Please respect all traffic signs and stay off your cell phone. You will see your three building administrators out and about in yellow vests welcoming students and directing traffic. If you have questions, do not hesitate to ask. Bottom line - obey the rules, be patient, and keep moving!
1st/FINAL Posting - Brightspark Travel
1st/FINAL Posting - DPN “That’s GENIUS! Wise Words from the Nation’s Parenting Gurus”
2nd Posting - Shepard Nightlife
6th Posting - Yearbook Ordering
Be sure to order a yearbook before March 11, 2016! Here is how to order:
- Log into Family Access.
- Click Fee Management.
- Click "Add a Fee" above your middle school child's name.
- In the pop-up window that shows optional items, click the "Add" button next to Middle School Yearbook (the fee is $20), and then click the "Back" button in the upper right corner.
- You'll see the yearbook fee of $20 added to your account. Click "Make a Payment."
- Click "Update Payment Amount."
- Click "Update Cart."
- Click "Pay with Vendor."
- Confirm that you wish to make a payment by clicking "Yes" in the pop-up window.
- You'll be taken to RevTrak to complete your payment.
You can always log into Family Access and click on Fee Management to confirm your purchase.
9th Posting - Show Choir Fundraiser
Don't throw away those Box Tops! We collect them and submit them toraise money for the Shepard Student Council. Drop your Box Tops off in the Shepard Office.
Heinen’s will contribute up to 1% of what you spend at their store to Shepard at the end of the school year. Thanks to all who participated in the program last year—Shepard received a check for $875 in June!
If you participated in this program last year, you must RE-SELECT Shepard this year. You can do this in the store at the Customer Service counter, or you can log in to your Tasteful Rewards profile at www.heinensrewards.com. Go to the “My Profile” tab at the top right of the home page, then scroll down to the “Teaming Up for Education” section and select Illinois-Deerfield-Alan B Shepard Middle School and make sure to save your selection.
If you’re new to the program, please take a look at this information to sign up—it’s quick and easy and a great way to help Shepard make a little easy money!
Archived CommunicationsSee an archive of all "News & Notes" communications in the old format here.