Phishing for Information
Can you tell the difference?
What is Phishing?
Phishing is when a person tries "fishing" for your information. You will most likely see it in a spam email or when a website asks you to click on a link.
How can I tell if an email is fake?
To tell if an email is fake look for:
- Spelling errors
- If the email starts with "Dear Client"
- If they ask to enter in your credit card information
- If there is a link to enter your information into
- Look at the email address, Are there any spelling errors? Does it have the company name in it?
How do I prevent my personal information from being stolen?
Some ways to prevent your info from being stolen are:
- Hover over the link, if a different URL comes up DO NOT CLICK
- If it asks you to log onto your account open a new page and log on
- If you know it is fake just ignore it and delete it
I've been phished! What do i do?
If you have been phished, it's okay. All you need to do is:
- If you have clicked on a link that has downloaded something onto your computer, download an anti-virus software to get rid of the virus
- Call your credit card company and notify them that someone has hacked into your account so they can lock it
- Change your password immediately so they can't get into your account