2017-2018 Parent Newsletter
October 6, 2017 - Issue #9
- Mrs. Kannmacher
- Mrs. Arredondo
- Mrs. Williams
- Mrs. Ramsey
- Mrs. Outlaw
- Mrs. Jimenez
- Ms. Field
Our school-wide total is 3400!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 1000
Second Grade: 950
Third Grade: 500
Dance Party Details - Since we met our campus goal of 3000 BEFORE the end of the 1st nine weeks, the dance party will be on Friday, October 20th. PPCD/PK/Kinder/1st Grade will be from 1:30-1:45 in the gym. 2nd and 3rd Grades will be 2:00-2:15 in the gym.
NO SCHOOL ON MONDAY, OCTOBER 9TH!
Running of the Vikings - October 13th
Football Players, Cheerleaders, and Pep Rally...Oh My!
2017 Bond Election Information
LVISD will have presentations about the bond on October 5 and 16 in Viking Hall at 6:00. A third presentation will be on October 11, at 7:00 in the PAC, presentation will be before the Candidates Night debate.
- The amount of bond is $2.9 million.
- Will taxes increase? No, the tax rate will remain the same $1.32
- What is the bond for? HVAC replacements, transportation needs, technology needs, maintenance equipment, and service road repair.
- How long will it take to pay off the bond? The bond will be paid off in 6 years.
- Will we have to send any of the bond money back to the state? No, LVISD will be able to keep 100% of the money.
Please check out the flyer attached to the email for more information regarding this bond.
Pumpkin Character Activity and Gallery Walk
Fall Festival News
Mark your calendars for the Fall Family Festival on Friday, Nov. 3rd from 5pm to 8pm. There will be food trucks, games, prizes, face painting, jumpy houses, and much, much more so you don't want to miss out!
Committee Volunteers are now needed – if interested, please email Becky Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Order here online:
School code: 13030118 OR enter Texas, Lago Vista.
We are also looking for yearbook photo submissions. You can never send to many! You may email them to email@example.com subject title. If you are on a time crunchy, send a quick email and we will provide a dropbox link to drop to the photos to or a phone number to text them to.
We are currently looking for the following pictures: Meet the teacher, 1st day of school, random school/lunch pictures, Pep Rallies, football/sport player classroom meeting, Viking Spirit Friday's, college Wednesdays, crazy sock day, crazy hair day, neon day, pajama day, grandparents lunch, Watch DOG pictures. Keep us in mind through out the year when creating memories, send them our way! Thank you!
Any questions regarding yearbook should be sent to LVESyearbook@gmail.com
Yearbook Cover Contest
Calling all 3rd Grade students...it's that time of the year for the Yearbook Cover Contest! If you would like to submit a drawing for the contest, here are the guidelines:
- Theme: Sail Into Learning. Think nautical theme.
- Guidelines: Open to 3rd grade students only. Keep with in the theme listed above. Use your imagination and be creative! Must be on 8.5 x 11 paper, one side only, MUST contain the title ‘Sail Into Learning’ somewhere within the design. May use marker, colored pencils, crayons, pastels, paints, letter stickers, construction paper or other textured looks on top of the 8.5 x 11 paper ie: computer paper. NOTE: Please keep the look flat enough that it can be scanned on a scanner to the computer). Entire piece must be done by a LVES 3rd grader. Artist may autograph his/her artwork in bottom right corner. On the back please legibly write first and last name, followed by teacher’s name in pencil.
- Deadline: All entries must be submitted by Friday, October 20th. Return to the teacher or submit to front office.
- The 1st place winner’s artwork will appear on the front cover of the 2017-2018 LVES Yearbook! The winner will also receive a FREE softcover copy of the yearbook.
If you have any questions about the yearbook cover contest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
COLLEGE DAY IS EVERY WEDNESDAY...WEAR YOUR FAVORITE COLLEGE SHIRT!
Kindergarten students learn addition using different colored beans.
Mrs. Shoaf uses shapes to demonstrate how to draw a robot.
Using the sense of hearing to classify objects in science.
Ms. Cindy De Silva - Kindergarten Teacher
1. Where are you from originally?
I am from San Antonio, Texas.
2. How long have you been teaching?
I have taught 23 years. 13 years in public education and 10 in private education.
3. Tell us about your family...
My son, Nathan is 31 years old and is chief financial officer overseeing the mortgage department at USAA in San Antonio. He is married to Jamie, whom is a marine biologist. They spend their extra time traveling the world. My daughter, Shaina is 28 and attended UTSA awaiting her business degree. She works at a wildlife park near New Braunfels.
4. What are your favorite hobbies and favorite flower? Do you ride roller coasters?
I love to read and write. I love the outdoors. I like to camp and fish. My favorite flowers are daisies. I used to ride roller coasters when I was young. The last roller coaster I went on was the Superman roller coaster at Fiesta Tx, that was it for me.
5. What is your favorite part about your job?
I love helping children become independent readers and helping them develop the skills to decode and become fluent readers. I love watching their journey as they learn and use skills to read and understand different genres.
Mrs. Janice Crenwelge - PPCD Paraprofessional
I'm beginning my third year at LVES. Before coming here, I spent 13 years working at local Mother's Day Out programs. I've always had an interest in special needs, so I feel blessed to be here!
2. Where are you from originally?
I am the youngest of 9 children and grew up on a farm in Comfort Tx. In 1984, I married my high school sweetheart. We moved around a bit, but settled here in Lago 17 years ago.
3. Tell us about your family...
Robert and I have three sons, all of which graduated from LV. Sheldon is 31 and lives in Seattle. Austin is 28 and living in Round Rock. Brady is 25, and lives here in Lago.
4. What are your favorite hobbies?
Outside of school, I enjoy doing a little gardening, cooking, reading, going on walks with my hubby, and binge watching British TV. lol
5. What is your favorite part of your job?
I love watching students learn new things and seeing them become more independent. I also enjoy working with such an amazing group of people. They encourage me in what I can do, and stretch me to try what I think I can't.
Character Trait of the Month - Respect
- Treat others with respect; follow the Golden Rule;
- Be tolerant and accepting of differences;
- Use good manners, not bad manners;
- Be considerate of the feelings of others;
- Don't threaten, hit or hurt anyone;
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements.
Students will learn more about Respect in Guidance with Mrs. Sexton!
Hello LVES Families! The character trait for October is Respect. Students will be learning how they can show respect to their parents, friends, teachers, school, and themselves. At home, you can remind your child that Respect can mean: Using good manners, Being tolerant and accepting of differences, Being considerate of others, Dealing peacefully with anger, insults, and disagreements--not threatening, hitting, or hurting anyone, and Following the Golden Rule~Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Stay tuned for more information about Red Ribbon Week October 23-27, when students will learn more about respecting themselves by being healthy and drug-free!
“I respect myself and insist upon it from everybody. And because I do it, I then respect everybody, too.” ~Maya Angelou
Weekly Attendance Goal
Weekly Attendance for week of October 5th:
- 93.81%- We did not meet our goal again this week, but will try again next week!
Grade Level Totals:
First Grade: 97.08% - Fantastic job meeting our weekly goal!
Second Grade: 94.41%
Third Grade: 94.66%
Lago Vista Elementary PTO Facebook
Christine Harris, Administrative Assistant
Registration and Attendance:
Veronica Fidencio, Registrar/Attendance Clerk
Student Emotional Support:
Amy Sexton, Counselor
Kimberly Latham-Whitehead, School Nurse
Discipline and School Improvement:
Michelle Jackson, Principal
Eric Holt, Assistant Principal
Bus Routes and Transportation:
Jay Powell, Director of Transportation
(512) 267-8300, ext. 1508
Mark Your Calendars...
- October 9th: Student Holiday/Staff Development
- October 13th: Football Players, Cheerleaders Visit
- October 13th: 1st Grade goes to LVHS Pep Rally
- October 13th: Running of the Vikings
- October 18th: Fall Pictures
- October 23rd-27th: Red Ribbon Week - daily themes coming soon
- October 25th: Fall G/T Parent Meeting, 6:30-7:30 in Viking Hall
- October 26th: Transportation Changes for Early Release due on or before 4:00 pm
- October 27th: Early Release at 11:30 am - No transportation changes are accepted on Early Release days
- October 27th: Parent Teacher Fall Conferences - be on the lookout for sign ups from teachers coming soon
- October 27th: Football Players, Cheerleaders Visit
- October 31st: Pumpkin Character Gallery Walk
- November 1st: Perfect Attendance (K-3) and Honor Roll (3rd Grade) Recognition during lunches