Somerset ES Staff Bulletin
Week of September 7th
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” - William Butler Yeats
Events This Week
7:00 PM Room Parent Meeting
9:15 Core Team Meeting
6:30-8:30 PM K-2 Back To School Night
2:30 Summer Reading Celebration
IEP/EMT -- Coverage
9:30 DeMarco -- Lambert-Williamson
10:30 Private School
1:30 Rich -- Andreassi
Monday (9/14) - No School for Students and Teachers
Tuesday (9/15) - 6:30-8:30 PM 3-5 Back To School Night (Instrumental Meeting at 6 PM)
Monday (9/21) - 3:45-4:45 PM Staff Meeting
Wednesday (9/23) - No School for Students and Teachers
Sunday (9/27) - 5:00-7:00 PM Back to School Picnic
- Tracy, Brooke and Travis for our sensational Back to School Video!
- Michelle, Danielle, Jane and Barbara for getting our IEP at a Glance Binders together and distributed, as well as making an electronic version!
- Grade level teachers for eating with their students Monday-Wednesday and helping to systematize the cafeteria routines.
- All staff members for creating a warm and welcoming environment the first week of school!
- Kudos to all our new Somerset Staff members! Linda, Amy, Emily, and Christine have all done a great job acclimating to our Somerset community and working with our students, we’re so glad you have joined our Somerset family! Keep up the great work!
- Michelle for organizing the 4th and 5th grade team classes in Oasis to reflect our departmentalization.
- Colleen for all her hard work in assisting to get the Reading Initiative classes up and running.
- All the specialists and para-educators who helped with bus duty this week to ensure a safe arrival and dismissal for our students.
- Hannah for always lending a helping hand.
- Michael Day and Kat for helping cover Travis' duties when he was out.
- Michelle for making new bus signs for our buses.
- Brooke for helping Michelle, Danielle and Jane create the resource support schedules.
- Colleen and Michelle for updating the Somerset Brochure for Back to School Night.
Announcements and Important Information
- Social Dues- $30 for full time staff, $15 for part time staff. We are asking for payments by Sept. 17---checks made out to the Somerset Social Committee or cash in an envelope with your name on it. Either can be placed in Barbara Berlin’s box.
-Please remember to continue to practice the lunch pin numbers with your students.
- As we visit classrooms it is the expectation that we will see classrooms that are safe, structured and organized to support student learning. The following items are to be posted in your classrooms: daily itinerary, objectives and thinking and academic success skills, as well as recent and appropriate student work displayed. We expect to see children engaged with texts, using math manipulatives, receiving small group instruction and when asked, students should be able to explain what they are learning and why they are learning it.
- Please remember to sign in the main office every morning. Also, if you need to leave the building during your duty-free lunch, you MUST let Susan &/or Nancy know on a daily basis.
- Turn in your Handbook Scavenger hunt, if you have not already done so.
- Please pick up your students from specials, lunch and recess on time, and please arrive to your duties on time. We all depend on each other for a smooth and efficient school day.
-As you are planning your weekends towards this fall, please consider:
1) Stopping by the Fall Back to School Picnic which is scheduled for Sunday, September 27th on our field from 5 – 7 PM
2) Registering for the Back-to-School Classic on Sunday, October 25th. More information is available online at: http://www.somersetrace.com/
-Classroom Teachers – if you are having your students come into class after lunch, please send a note with them to the cafeteria. The lunch/recess staff cannot let them return to your room without a note. Thank you for your assistance with this.
-Just a reminder about allergies. Our school policy is that we encourage students to refrain from bringing nut products to school for lunch or snack. For monthly celebrations, please ask parents of students who have allergies to supply a snack/treat for their student (such as: fruit snacks, rice crispy treats, etc). Check with Linda or Megan for more ideas. Most baked goods are cross contaminated as they are made in facilities where nuts are processed.
- Please make sure you have the following at Back to School Night: Copy of Homework Policy, Copy of Weekly Schedule, student work on display, Grade Level Curriculum Guide and conference sign-ups.
Proposed Time Schedule for Back-to-School Night on 9/9 and 9/16
6:25 Doors Open (Parents should wait outside the teachers classroom until 6:30)
6:33-6:55 Admin/PTA/Foundation Welcome broadcasted in Classrooms
6:55-7:40 Classroom Session 1
7:45-8:25 Classroom Session 2
8:30 End of Back-to-School Night
- Parents who have two children in the primary/intermediate grades will be able to visit both classrooms and those who only have one will have a shorter evening.