By Tami Cox
- Born in Trier, Germany on May 5, 1818
- Died in London, England on March 14, 1883
- Studied at the University of Bonn, the University of Berlin, and the University of Jena.
- Influenced by Adam Smith, Friedrich Engels, and Charles Darwin
- His father was a very successful lawyer, which made his family high class.
- He is mainly known for The Communist Manifesto.
- Marx believed that change was caused by class struggles between "haves" (those of middle and high class) and "have nots" (those of the lower class).
- He favored privately owned businesses in an economic system
- The bourgeoisie (high class) often mistreated those in the proletariat (lower class) because they are withheld from the wealth of their masters.
- Eventually, the proletariat would overthrow the bourgeoise after being mistreated for too long.
- Marx's Communist Manifesto went into detail about how the proletariat would end class societies
"Let the ruling classes tremble at a communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workingmen of all countries, unite!" -Karl Marx
- "Karl Marx Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2016.
- "Karl Marx Quote." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2016.
- "Marx Publishes Manifesto." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2016.
- Ree, Jonathan. "The Big Question: What Inspired Marx?" OpenLearn. The Open University, 01 Dec. 2004. Web. 16 Sept. 2016.
- Wiliam, Sydney Australia. "Karl Marx and His Theories." , Background, The Russian Revolution, SOSE: History Year 9, NSW. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Sept. 2016.