The Sailor Signal
Cottage Lake Elementary - May 29, 2022
•• School News ••
Important Message from the Nurse for End of Year & Beginning of School Year
End of Year and Planning for Next Year
Planning has begun for summer closure of the health room and preparing for next year’s incoming students with health concerns. Parents/students please note the following:
Medications and Medication Pick Up:
Medications your child may have leftover at school will need to get home in a safe manner. Please arrange to pick up any medication(s) at school before the last day of school on June 17,2022.
- Any medications left at Cottage Lake after Friday, June 17 at 1:00 pm will be destroyed (includes emergency medications for seizures, diabetes, EPI Pens, as well as daily and as needed medications).
- Please note that some medications cannot go home with students and will need to be picked up by a parent (ADHD, seizure medications, etc).
- Medications can be picked up during the school hours of 9:00a - 4:15 pm the week of June 13 – 17, 2022. The exception is for emergency medications (Epi or Seizue meds) that must remain on campus while your student is here on the last day.
- Contact the school nurse if other pickup arrangements need to be made.
If your child needs to take medication during school hours next year, please have your healthcare provider complete a Medication Authorization Form before school starts in the fall. Bring the completed medication authorization and medication in a properly labeled, original container when school begins in the fall. Forms are available on Cottage Lake and District websites or by contacting the school nurse: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/health-services/forms-for-health
Students who have Life-Threatening Conditions will need to make plans over the summer to have Emergency Medications with physician’s orders at school and ready before the first day of school. Letters will be sent home in June for those students who currently have Emergency Care Plans in place and will include all necessary forms to be completed for next fall. Please contact the school nurse if you need assistance with forms or have questions. (Cary Thompson is Timbercrest school nurse 425.408.6906) Cottage Lake will have a new nurse, but to get the forms to the correct place send them to Cottage Lake Nurse, 425.408.4206)
Immunizations for 2022- 2023
Please make sure student immunizations are up to date and on file in the Health Room.
Middle School Vaccines include:
- Two doses of Varicella (chicken pox) vaccine will be required for K-12 th grade students.
- The other vaccine that is sometimes overlooked is the Tdap vaccine which is required at 11-12 years of age, or by 7th-grade entry.
Elementary School Vaccine requirements are available on the DOH website. If your child is exempt from any immunizations please contact your school nurse for the proper document to be signed by your child’s provider. The Certificate of Exemption form may be found on the DOH site as will. Immunizations must be complete, or exemption form on file, in order to attend school.
For complete vaccine requirement information go to:
The school nurse will be working in the health room starting August 23rd (Non-student days) and will be available to drop off medications/physician orders or review emergency care plans for students with life threatening conditions or address any other parent concerns. Parents are welcome to call ahead to check scheduling drop offs, 425-408-4206. Leave a message and the nurse will return your call.
Medication/physician orders can also be faxed ahead to 425-408-4202, attention the school nurse. If your child requires a Seizure Action Plan from Seattle Children’s please contact them early in August to request new plan for upcoming school year.
We will not accept any medication into the health room without accompanying doctor’s orders. No exceptions.
The risk of exposure to COVID-19 is higher than a month ago, both within schools and in the community. Public Health has been recommending wearing masks in indoor public settings and other prevention measures, particularly since we have reached Medium Community levels of transmission and are experiencing cluster cases in some instances.
Each family needs to weigh the risks and benefits of wearing masks for their children, but at this time, parents should know that the risk of getting COVID-19 has been on the rise the past few weeks. Those with underlying health concerns or who are immunocompromised should consider wearing masks at this time. Here are some tips for your family from Public Health - Seattle & King County, which is a helpful resource for parents and school staff re: COVID-19:
Please note the following on NSD Batch testing:
The final batch testing date for the 2021-2022 school year is June 8.
Pop Keeney Test Site registration: https://www.nsd.org/covid19/testing/confirmatory-testing-registration
Audrey Wilde, BSN, RN
Northshore School District
Cottage Lake Elementary School Nurse
Spirit days to end the year
- June 9 - "S" - Superhero Day [Dress like your favorite superhero]
- June 10 - "A" - Animal Print day [Dress in Animal Prints]
- June 13 - "I" - Inside Out day [Dress in something that is inside out]
- June 14 - "L" - Let's Shine BRIGHT day [Dress in Neon]
- June 15 - "O" - Organize by Color day [Wear your grade level color for field day]
- ..... Kindergarten - Red
- ..... 1st Grade - Orange
- ..... 2nd Grade - Yellow
- ..... 3rd Grade - Green
- ..... 4th Grade - Blue
- ..... 5th Grade - Purple
- ..... Staff - Pink
- June 16 - "R" - Relaxation is Around the Corner day [Dress in your best beach attire]
- June 17 - "S" - See 'ya Later, Sailors! [Bring your shades and get ready for an 11:35 AM dismissal]
Each day will have a focus that begins with the letters that spell out "Sailors." Please feel free to participate in some or all of the days. Have fun!
Community Serve day is August 21, 2022
This year we'll be back able to go in the buildings and we are focused on helping teachers and staff as they prepare for the new school year.
Please visit the below link for more information and to sign up.
•• PTA News ••
Added PTA meeting THIS Thursday, June 2 @ 7:30 PM
A PTA general membership meeting is being added to the schedule for next Thursday, June 2, from 7:30-8pm.
We'll be voting in the nominating committee and looking to approve an additional budget line item that needs to be paid in this year's budget to secure a fall activity with a vendor. Members, please attend to vote on these items. It should be a quick meeting.
Thursday 6/2 @ 7:30-8pm
Zoom Meeting ID: 556 758 0614
End of Year school Carnival
Mark your calendars for our end-of-year School Carnival!
Cottage Lake Elementary carnival
June 3rd 5:30-8pm
- Bouncy house, magician, sno cones, balloon animals, games!
- Food available for purchase from local food trucks.
All CLE staff, students, and families are welcome to come and celebrate the end of the year together!
Carnival volunteers needed!
Our end-of-year carnival is next Friday and we need your help!! Sign up to volunteer using this link.
Purchase your yearbook now!
Yearbooks are on sale now and are $11 each.
The presale of yearbooks ends on June 10.
You can purchase a yearbook online by visiting the following website:
(Balfour charges an additional $1 fee to process credit card payments.)
There were also paper order forms sent home last week with students. If you wish to pay by check or cash, please return the paper order form and money to the front office.
•• REPEAT SCHOOL NEWS ••
COVID safety updates
Families can find the most up-to-date COVID health and safety information by clicking the links below.
- King County Quarantine and Isolation Guidance
- Families can access the 2021-2022 NSD COVID-19 Safety Protocols by clicking here.
- Families can access our NSD COVID-19 Data Dashboard by clicking here.
Health Check Question to review daily
Health Check Questions:
1. In the past 24 hours has the student experienced any of the following symptoms:
- Fever of 100.4 or above
- Shortness of Breath or Difficulty Breathing
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Muscle Pain or Body Aches
- Sore Throat
- Congestion or Runny Nose
- Nausea or Vomiting
- Other signs of new illness that are unrelated to a preexisting condition (such as seasonal allergies)
2. Has the student had any of the symptoms of COVID-19 listed above within the past 3 days that lasted more than 24 hours?
3. Has the student been in close contact with anyone with confirmed COVID-19 within the last 14 days? Close contact means being within 6 feet (2 meters) of an infected person for 15 minutes or more.
4. Has the student had a positive COVID-19 test for active virus in the past 10 days?
5. Within the past 14 days, has a public health or medical professional told the student to self-monitor, self-isolate, or self-quarantine because of concerns about COVID-19?
End of year events
Below are some of our big end-of-year events.
- June 3 - PTA Spring Carnival, 5:30-8:00 PM
- June 7 - 2022-23 Kindergarten Open House, 5:00-6:00 PM
- June 13 - 5th grade party
- June 14 - Yearbook distribution
- June 15 - All-school Field Day, 2:15-3:45 PM
- June 16 - 5th grade Promotion event, 5:30-7:00 PM
- June 17 - Last Day of School! Dismissal at 11:35 AM
Click the button above to learn more about YMCA before and after-school care at Cottage Lake during the 2022-2023 school year. Registration opens on May 2.
Scholastic Book Fair is coming
Cottage Lake Summer Book Fair - June 3 - 8
Summer Reading is so important and Scholastic books are so fun. Let's help CL students get ready for a reading summer!
Friday, June 3 from 5:00-8:00 PM
- Festivities begin with our Grand Opening during the Cottage Lake Carnival
Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday, June 6-8
- Students shopping at lunch recess
- After school hours are M & W until 5:00
- Tuesday - Late shopping for families (during the Kindergarten open house) and until 8:00 PM
Book Fair Volunteers are needed to make this event a success!
Please use this link to sign up for a shift or two.
Book Swap Booth at CL Field Day - Elementary Books Wanted
Have you been going through your student's old books and wanting to find a good home for them? Please send them to the library or drop them off in the CL office any time between May 16 and June 13.
This year, we are bringing back our "book swap" event. This is a time when our students can come and take books they would like to read over the summer. The idea is our families/students donate books and then they can take some new books for them to enjoy.
This year, the event will take place during our school-wide Field Day.
Students will come by, choose a few books, put them in a labeled bag, then go to other stations. (No wet books!)
The books will be delivered to classrooms for taking home the next day, or may be picked up on the way home from Field Day.
Field Day is coming!
Field Day is Wednesday, June 15 from 2:15-3:45 PM. This will be a whole-school event. We need many volunteers to run the stations and to help make this event a success. We will need volunteers a little longer than the event, so volunteer hours are 1:45-4:15 PM. A few examples of stations are: arm wrestling, water cup relay, and oversized clothes relay. All volunteers must complete our background check process and need to be fully vaccinated, as well.
If you can help, please follow the sign-up genius link below and sign up to help run a station. You will not need to prepare in any way - all supplies and game directions (if needed) will be given to you. Just show up, help set up, and have fun! Thank you for considering! Y
~ Your Field Day Committee - Mrs. Stookey & Mrs. Darling
Field Day volunteer sign-up
Kindergarten Registration is Open for the 2022-2023 school year!
Spread the word!! We want Kindergarten students!!
At this time, we have scheduled two, Kindergarten parent tours. These events are geared to adults. Our dates are:
- February 15, 4:30-5:30 PM
- March 22, 10:00-11:00 AM
Families interested in attending the Kindergarten tours do not need to register. We will have parents sign-in when you arrive on campus.
We are excited to welcome new families to Cottage Lake!
Child Sick or Change of Plans After School?
If you have a trip planned and are going to be gone during school days please fill out the request for excused absence form at this link Cottage Lake Pre-Approved Absence Form
•• DISTRICT NEWS ••
Interim Superintendent Announcement
Michael currently serves as the Assistant Superintendent for the East Region of our district and oversees Special Education, Student Services, and Accelerated Models and Programs. Dr. Reid will work with Mr. Tolley to ensure a smooth transition as we close out the school year and plan for the 2022-23 year. Mr. Tolley will lead the District as the interim superintendent while the school board begins its process to find a permanent replacement.
Thank you to everyone in our community who provided feedback on the desired traits of our interim superintendent. We look forward to a smooth transition to best serve our students.
CLICK HERE to read about the Superintendent search process
C.P. and Dorothy Johnson Humanitarian Award ceremony
On May 26, the District honored the selected 74 students at the Northshore Concert Hall at Inglemoor High School. The ceremony was live streamed and is available to view on the District’s C.P. & Dorothy Johnson Humanitarian Award website.
Cottage Lake's 2021-2022 recipients are: Riley Buchanan and Paston Stookey.
Please CLICK HERE to the recorded ceremony.
New Visitor Management system is coming to all schools
CLICK HERE to learn more about the visitor management system.
•• REPEAT of DISTRICT NEWS ••
2022-2023 School Year calendar
- First Day of School - August 31
- Elementary Conferences - November 17-23 (These are half-days.... with a dismissal time around 12:45 PM.)
- Winter Break - December 19-January 2
- Mid-Winter Break - February 20-24
- Spring Break - April 10-14
- Last Day of School - June 20
Lunch menu changes
If you are printing out the menu at the beginning of the month, there will inevitably be changes before the month is over.
Although our department strives to make changes at least 7 days ahead, there are weeks when we must make a change with 2-3 days' notice due to delivery shortages, today we have had to make a change to Friday's menu.
For up-to-date menu information please review our menu online (see the link below).
Free and Reduced lunch application
Remember: families must reapply every year!
You can also visit the Northshore Free and Reduced Priced meals website here: https://www.nsd.org/schools/get-started/food-services/free-and-reduced-price-breakfast-lunch
Cottage Lake Elementary
At Cottage Lake Elementary, it is our united mission to build a safe, engaging, and inclusive environment of resilient lifelong learners. In partnership with our vibrant community, we embrace our diversity and strive to foster trust and kindness.