September 7, 2018
Important Dates to Remember
- Thursday, September 13th 5:00 pm-6:30pm Penny Road Elementary Open House
- Tuesday, September 25th 6:30pm PTA meeting
THIS WEEK AT A GLANCE
- Car Pool Info
- PTA Volunteer Openings
- Connect with Konstella
- FUN RUN!
- Penny Road Pacers
- Chess Club
- PTA Meeting Info
- Join the PTA
- Afterschool Golf & Tennis
IMPORTANT CARPOOL INFORMATION
For everyone's safety, please review the following carpool rules:
Help us protect our PRE families, carpool staff members, and passersby. DO NOT turn left out of the Penny Road driveway during morning or afternoon carpool!
MORNING DROP OFF
- Students may exit the vehicle as soon as your car is between carpool staff members!
- Keep the carpool line flowing to alleviate traffic on Penny Road - no lengthy stops please.
- Always have students exit on the right side (sidewalk side) of your car.
AFTERNOON PICK UP
- Please be aware of staff members directing traffic. Drive slowly and please refrain from talking on your cell phone.
- Parents may stand outside their car to find their children so they do not walk past the car.
If your child walks past your car and misses you, please remain in your car, proceed with the flow of traffic and let the next staff member know that you do not have your child by giving the thumbs down signal. They will direct you as to what to do next.
- Please do not allow children to walk between cars when loading. Children should enter the car from the middle of the two lanes of traffic.
- Give the staff a thumbs up if you have your child, a thumbs down if you still need your child.
- When you are loaded, please remain in your traffic line and wait to be directed to leave. Please DO NOT drive down the middle of the two lines of traffic.
Volunteers are still NEEDED!
Some of our immediate needs are:
We are still in need of Media Center Volunteers: Our Media Center, also known as the Creative Commons, needs volunteers! Mrs. Platts is seeking parents or grandparents to help with re-shelving books and doing some light clerical work. Ideally, she would like two volunteers each day. The best part is you pick the day and the time! Even 30 minutes of your week would be a huge help! Please email Sabrina Lewandowski firstname.lastname@example.org if you are able to help!
We still need a Board Advisory Council (BAC) parent representative: BAC meetings are lead by our school board representative Mrs.Lindsay Mahaffey. The meetings are held once a month, in the evening, and include all schools within the same district to discuss school board concerns. This is a great way to keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on with our public schools! If you are interested, please email our principal Mrs. Hoke email@example.com
We are still in need of a Yearbook Editor: We are in need of a parent to coordinate this year's yearbook! The students and teachers love this tradition. Will you help us continue it? Email Amy Toland (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions.
Join your child's classroom on KONSTELLA!
Make sure you log-in to Konstella and join your student's new classroom so you don't miss specific grade level communication! Sign up and explore! You'll be glad you did!
From a computer: Log in. Click your name in the top left corner. Click "Your Children" to add/modify your children's classrooms.
From the Mobile App: Click the Settings icon in the top left corner. Click "Your Children".
Pledging is NOW OPEN for the PENNY ROAD FUN RUN!
Penny Road Families, yesterday our Penny Road Fun Run kicked off with an exciting Pep Rally! This is Penny Road’s major fundraiser, and our goal is to raise $20,000 for Technology, School Improvements, and Teacher Grants! The first step to helping your school is to register your student on funrun.com, by searching for our school name or using our school’s registration code 944-798. Also, look for the Pledgebook and Mindspark Gears that your student is bringing home. The Pledgebook will tell you everything you need to know about the Penny Road Fun Run.
The Student Star video starring your child is the EASIEST and BEST way to ask for a Fun Run pledge. Log into www.funrun.com, click “Create Student Star Video” button, add a photo of your child, and SHARE it via email and social media!
The actual Fun Run will take place on Tuesday, September 18th. Families are welcome to attend and cheer on our students and teachers! The schedule is as follows:
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade: 9:30 am to 10:30 am
- 2nd and 3rd Grade: 10:40 am to 11:40 am
- 4th and 5th Grade: 11:50 am to 12:50 pm
Thank you so much for supporting the Penny Road family! Go Pandas!
PRE Pacers is back for Grades 3, 4, and 5!
Back by popular demand, the Penny Road Pacers! Do you love walking or jogging? Have you ever thought of participating in a 5k race? Then this club is for you!
This is a 6 week training clinic to learn about pacing, cross-training, stretching and healthy eating! At the end of the six weeks, those who are interested may participate in the Apex Turkey Trot!
- This club is for students in 3rd, 4th and 5th grades only.
- Pacers will meet on Thursday mornings ONLY from 8:15 to 8:45
- Dates are from Thursday, September 27th to Thursday, November 15th
The registration deadline is Friday, September 21st. We will be using Konstella for Penny Road Pacers communication. Click here for more information and to sign up. (Please make sure you are registered in your student's 3rd, 4th or 5th grade classroom to sign up for Pacers).
Questions, please contact Mrs. Martin at email@example.com.
Click here for information about the Apex Turkey Trot.
First PTA meeting of the year!
- We will be hearing from Principal Hoke about things going on around school!
- We will learn more about the Positivity Project being introduced this year.
- We will be voting on 2018-2019 budget amendments! (We need 20 PTA members in attendance to accomplish this so PLEASE try to come!)
If you are a new family and missed the Tissues and Tea event, we would especially love to have you attend the meeting. We will stick around at the end of the meeting to answer ANY questions!
Join us... you never know... you might like it!
Join the PTA!
One of the easiest ways for you to support our school is to become a member of the PTA. When you join our PTA, you become a member of the North Carolina PTA. NC PTA leaders work tirelessly to advocate for our public schools! By supporting our school and the PTA, you support these advocacy efforts!
To pay your membership dues online, click HERE. (You will be directed to the MemberHub website used for NC PTA membership.)
To pay by cash or check, please download and print this form and send your payment into school. Checks are made payable to the Penny Road PTA.
If you join the Penny Road PTA AND attend our September 25th General PTA meeting, we will enter your child's name into a drawing to win a Dance Party with Penny the Panda for their class!