The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
What a great week! Here is a quick break down of our week:
This week we continued to focus on our informational units. We shifted our focus from summarizing and finding the main idea to deeply thinking about our perspective and how it differs from the author's. We had so many meaningful conversations this week that were sparked from all of the wonderful aspects of non-fiction text students are noticing! We also finished our third unit in math and have added a variety of addition, subtraction, and multiplication strategies to our math toolbox. As we continue throughout this quarter I am encouraging students to think about their learning and how they can challenge themselves to learn more and to be creative with their learning.
Looking ahead to next week:
- Language Arts: This will be our last week to draft our animal reports. We are using different strategies to elaborate or add to our writing in order to make it better!
- Math: We will begin Unit 4 which focuses on measurement and geometry!
- Reading: We will continue our informational unit and begin to look at narrative non-fiction with biographies. We will learn to look at biographies through the lenses of a story while understanding we are still reading factual information.
- Word Study: They will continue with their sorts as usual. I highly encourage your child to bring his/her Word Study Notebook home throughout the week. They are learning to take notes each day and this is the best source for them to study.
- Social Studies: We will be wrapping up our unit on Government and the elections! Students have enjoyed learning about how our government works and how we elect our President!
EPIC Reading APP
Happy Birthday, Grace!
Veteran's Day Program
- November 11: Day (Reception 9:30, Program 10:00)
- November 17: STEM Night 6:00-7:30
- November 23-25 No School (Thanksgiving Break)
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.