Chapel of the Cross Faith & Family
Family Bible time for the week of October 11-17
Welcome to Chapel's Faith & Family!
The Lord's Prayer
What do you pray for?
One day while Jesus was praying to His Father in heaven, His disciples came to Him and asked Him to teach them how to pray. Jesus taught them to pray what we today call “The Lord’s Prayer.” This prayer of Jesus would become for them and for us both a special prayer and a model for prayer. Jesus then told a story to show His disciples how God wants us to come to Him in prayer. Finally, Jesus gave an example of how we are to approach God our Father trustingly, just as a child comes to his or her earthly father.
Father God, You have given us a great gift—the invitation to come to You at any time, in any place, in prayer. Thank You. In Jesus’ name we pray.
Bible Lesson: The Lord's Prayer
- Open your family Bible or a Children's Bible storybook and read this account together OR
- Read this account using an online Bible (Biblegateway.com) Luke 11:1–13 OR
- Listen to the Bible account being read using the video below.
Talk about it
- Why do you think Jesus' disciples asked Him how to pray?
- Prayer is talking with God. When are some times you pray? What are some things that you pray for?
- Does God always answer our prayers? How?
Share your thoughts on why Jesus' disciples asked Him to teach them how to pray. The disciples often saw Jesus praying to His Father in heaven. They knew that Jesus had a close relationship with His Father. He could teach them how to talk with God.
Share some times that you pray and the kinds of things that you pray for.
God always answers prayers. Sometimes He says yes. Sometimes He says no. Sometimes He says wait. God may not always give us what we want, but He always gives us what we need. The greatest thing we need is forgiveness and new life. He has given us this gift in Jesus!
Pray for one another. James 5:16
Things To Do Together
The Lord's Prayer
Dear Jesus, thank You for being our Savior and rescuing us from our sinful condition. Help us to share Your love by serving our neighbor. In Your name we pray, Jesus. Amen.
Comments are recorded anonymously, and will not be seen by the public.
Bible Lesson: Concordia Publishing House
Chapel of the Cross--Lutheran
Our Core Values:
- Empowered by the cross of Christ
- People working together
- Opening the Word to all people
- Showing the love of Jesus
- Warm and supportive environment