Mini BIO - Ernest Hemingway
1) He won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and also the Nobel Prize for Literature.
2) He only wrote one play called The Fifth Column and it is set during the Spanish Civil War.
3) He was awarded a Bronze Star for his bravery under-fire in World War II when he was a war correspondent.
4) He drank a lot...
5) He loved to hunt, and kill wild animals.
6) As a boy, he spent the summers with his family in the woods of northern Michigan, where he often accompanied his doctor father on house calls. His father committed suicide several years later which left him with a deep emotional scar.
7) His mother dressed him as a girl, and made him grow his hair out when he was a baby.
8) In honor of the centennial year of his birth (1899), The Star magazine named him its top reporter of the last hundred years.
9) He was the grandfather of actresses Margaux and Mariel Hemingway.
10) He was very straightforward in his writing.
11) During WWI, he served as an ambulance driver.
12) He wrote his first novel, The Sun Also Rises, in Paris, in 1926.
13) His novel, A Farewell to Arms, was based on his WWI experiences.
14) He had a very stormy personal life.
15) He was married four times.
16) He fought depression in his older years.
17) He died on July 2nd, 1961, by committing suicide.
18) He played a major role in defining twentieth-century American literature.
19) He bought the gun he used to commit suicide from Abercrombie & Fitch, which at the time was a camping and firearms store.
20) His picture appeared on a commemorative postage stamp in the United States in 1989 as a part of the Literary Arts series.