Newton Workshop - Time
Thursday 22nd August 2013
Isabella, Jessika and Keera's interpretations of analogue time:
- You can count by fives using the numbers on the clock. Each dot between the numbers represents one minute counting up to 60 minutes which equals 1 hour.
- The red hand is the seconds. The long hand is minutes. The short hand is hours.
- When the hand is on the 6 it is half past. Both hands on the 12 = 12 o'clock.
- There are 24 hours in one day.
Natasha, Corey, Melissa & Tiffany's interpretations of analogue time:
- When minute hand (the big one) hits a number that means five minutes has passed.
- When the hour hand (the small one) hits a number it tells you the hour.
- You can look at time in analogue and digital.
Milos, Nick, Marley and Adam's interpretations of analogue time:
- The time is 9:01.
- The big hand is minutes.
- The numbers go to 12.
- It is round.
- One past nine.
Bojana, Blanca, Arun and Brandon's interpretations of analogue time:
- AM means anti meridian
- There are 24 hours in one day
- A clock has AM and PM times
- One whole hour is 60 minutes
- We know that 60 seconds is one minute
- You can count by fives on the clock
- Half a day is 12 hours
- On an analogue clock the numbers go up to 12
Alex, Finlay, Josh V and Ali's interpretations of analogue time:
- The big hand = min
- The little hand = hours
- Time is very important millions of people use time
Estimating the length of a second
Students had to estimate how long five second was. The task was to walk around two chairs as close as possible to five seconds. Below are the times students got.
Bojana - 3.6 seconds
Arun - 4.7 seconds
Nick - 5.4 seconds
Brandon - 4.6 seconds
Adam - 4.3 seconds
Keera - 4.6 seconds
When we were trying to work out who was rhe closest, Keer introduced us to the word milliseconds and we found out that a millisecond was one thousandth of a second. Therefore, we all agreed that Arun was the closest to five seconds.
Afterwards, the whole group had a go at estimating the length of 30 seconds. When they thought 30 seconds had passed, they bobbed down. Here were some of their strategies.
Corey: 'Counting to myself in seconds. I guess I counted a bit too fast because I bobbed down at 16 seconds.'
Marley: 'When I was counting I was going 1-1,2 2-1,2 3-1,2.'
Keera: 'I was doing 1 missippi, 2 missippi.'
Tiffany: 'I was imagining my microwave and counting by seconds like the microwave does it.'
Finlay: 'I was counting a bit too fast because when you said 16 seconds I was already at 24. Then when you said 29 seconds I sat down.'
Nick: 'I was counting slowly and when you said 16 seconds I was up to 16 as well. So I kept going at the pace I was going at.'
Blanca: 'I looked at the broken clock and the second hand was moving,so I knew I was counting close to a second.'