Madison Weaver, 4
Soil & Forensic Science
- They examine what makes up the soil and how it is unique to its location.
- Soil is valuable physical evidence.
- Soil found at the bottom of shoes can link back to the perp and can be used to justify an alibi.
How is Soil Examined?
- There are said to be 1100 different soil colors.
- Samples of soil must be examined when the soil is dry.
- Scientists use microscopes to closely exmaine the soil, looking at the particle shape and size (They also use reflected light).
- It is also examined through density gradiant tubes.
- For a soil to be a match, they must match on EVERY test.
- If the soil has rare minerals or rocks, it is easier to match the soils.
How is Soil Collected?
- Scientists need only a little (tablespoon or two) of soil in order to test it.