First Grade News February 12, 2016
What have we been up to this week?
- In reading, we practiced sequencing the events in a story. At home, encourage students to use transition words such as first, next, then, and last when retelling a story.
- In writing, we identified adverbs that tell when in a sentence, and we reviewed how to use commas in a series.
- In Social Studies, we continued studying U.S. symbols. We read about the bald eagle and the Liberty Bell. Students were amazed to measure the wingspan of an eagle (6-8 feet) and the width of the Liberty Bell (12 feet)!
(Remember that I do not have all of my homeroom kids in math.
Be sure to ask your child what he/she is doing in math class!)
Valentine's Day Breakfast
Valentine's Day Science
When we left for our poetry break today, Mrs. Olson's class was in the hall, so we had a poetry break in the hallway!
Valentine's Day Letter Writing & Craft
Options for Reading at Home
Below are 2 great options for reading at home. Students use both of these resources at school, however, each tool has a multitude of texts available to students!
Through the Hoosier Family of Readers initiative, students and their families across Indiana will have unlimited access to reading material on myOn. Follow the directions below to access myON.
2. Enter the school name: Hoosier Family of Readers
3. Enter the username read and password read.
4. Click the green Sign In button.
This is a service provided to children by the Bartholomew County Public Library. Click here to use Tumblebooks. Scroll to the bottom of the page to use the link for Tumblebooks.
Mark Your Calendar
March 14-18: Spring Break
March 24: IN SCHOOL - Snow Make-Up Day #2
March 25: IN SCHOOL - Snow Make-Up Day #1