Updates from Mrs. Froning
November 17, 2019
Friday, November 22nd: 1/2 Day Dismissal @ 11:35 am
Oakley Park's Teacher of the Year- Mrs. Vivian Dabish!
Mrs. Dabish will be honored at the Walled Lake Board of Education Meeting on Thursday, January 9th at 7:00 pm.
Conference Sign Up Opens tomorrow: November 18th
In addition to your child’s classroom teacher, you may also choose to sign-up for conferences with our FAPES teachers: PE, Music, Art, and Media. These conferences are OPTIONAL but we encourage you to sign-up if you have concerns, would like more information, or want to connect with our wonderful FAPES staff.
Below you will find two resources to assist with scheduling. Please call the office (248-956-4100) if you need assistance.
Update on Owls Nests
This year, Owls Nest meetings will be held on designated Wednesdays. Our first nest was this past Wednesday and our meeting focused building connections. Our next "Nest meeting" is Wednesday, December 4th.
Math Club is back at Oakley Park!
The Math (Pentathlon) Club is back at Oakley Park! Any student in grades K-5 is invited to join. The Math Club is designed to engage students in fun and challenging math games that were designed by the National Math Pentathlon Institute. You can visit their website at www.mathpentath.org for more information. The students meet and learn cooperatively and discuss strategies by working in teams. Meeting times and schedules are listed below! Parent volunteer/support is welcomed!
- K – 1st Grade Club: Fridays @7:30 am beginning Friday, January 10, 2020
- 2- 3rd Grade Club: Fridays @7:30 am beginning Friday, December 6, 2019
- 4 -5th Grade Club: Sundays afternoons (time:TBD) @Commerce Township Library beginning, January 12
- *Classes fill on a first come, first served basis
Registration forms will be coming home this week!
DRESSING FOR OUTDOOR PLAY
Since cold weather is upon us, it is a good time for a few reminders…
Recess Wear Guidelines: Our children go outside for recess every day unless it is zero degrees or below. We use the "feels like" temperature reading when making decisions about recess. It is important that children are dressed appropriately for the weather.
○ 40-49 degrees: Coats, hats/gloves - Recommended
○ 39 degrees or below: Coats, hats/gloves - REQUIRED
○ Boots and snow pants are required if there is slush or snow.
If a child does not have boots or snow pants, they will need to stay on the blacktop area during recess.
○ REMINDER: Temperatures are based on “feels like” temperatures (including wind chill) We play outside every day provided the "feels like" temperature is above 0 degrees.
● School Cancellations: Please make sure your phone numbers and e-mails are correct in Skyward. If/when school is cancelled, Judy Evola will send out voicemails/e-mails using the information in Skyward. Please take a moment to login in and verify your information.
Winter Weather and School Closings
It seems a bit unbelievable we have already had our first snow day of the 2019-2020 school and its only NOVEMBER! We understand that the email/phone call communication last Monday regarding an early dismissal created some confusion for for many. I am very sorry for that and appreciate your understanding.
As you may or may not be aware, Walled Lake runs a "three tiered" busing system:
Tier 1: all high schools
Tier 2: all middle schools and Oakley Park
Tier 3: our 11 other elementary schools
The intent with an early dismissal is to get the first two tiers moving sooner, allow for the third tier to run as close to the usual schedule as possible. Because communication with elementary families regarding an early dismissal is CRITICAL in order to ensure proper/safe planning for each student, Oakley Park did not (and will not) dismiss early unless the weather and road conditions are deteriorating at rate that is deemed necessary.
In the event we were to move forward with an early dismissal, families would be first notified by Walled Lake Schools (District phone system and email). You would then be contacted by Oakley Park (email and/or phone call) confirming you have received the notification and to confirm plans for your student(s) based on the early dismissal time.
Two Hour Delay
On rare occasions, morning conditions occur that temporarily prevent the District from safely transporting students or requiring students to wait at a bus stop or walk to school. These conditions typically involve thick fog, winter weather or utility problems and historically required cancellation of school for the entire day. Beginning this year, Walled Lake Schools has developed a two-hour delay procedure that could be used if conditions are expected to improve within two hours. This procedure, which will be used sparingly, will permit students to get to school safely and allow the District to conduct a credited day of school.
Parents are encouraged to develop a plan so their children can safely stay home for an additional two hours in the morning and have them go to a trusted alternate location to await the delayed start of school.
In the rare event that a two-hour delay is activated, the following procedures will be followed:
- The District’s phone system will be used to notify all school families and staff members of the delay (by approximately 5 a.m. when possible)
- Local news and radio stations will be contacted to report the delayed start.
- If conditions do not improve within two hours, classes may be cancelled for the entire day and the same methods of notification will be made.
- All bus stop pick-ups will be delayed by exactly two hours (i.e. if your bus stop is normally 8:36 a.m., it will be at 10:36 a.m. on delayed start days).
- All schools will start exactly two hours later than normal (i.e. if your school normally starts at 8:57 a.m., it will start at 10:57 a.m. on delayed start days).
- Prime Time Care will open at its normal time (must be pre-registered to use Prime Time Care).
- Essential service staff (custodians, food service, maintenance, mechanics and warehouse) will report at their normal starting time.
- Professional, administrative and support staff shall report as soon as possible and no less than 30 minutes prior to the delayed start time of their school or worksite.
- Students shall report to the class they would normally be in at the time they arrive for a two-hour delay.
- Breakfast will be available for the duration of the delay and lunch will be served at the normal time.
- Schools will be dismissed at their normal times at the end of the school day.
- Staff will be released at their normal times at the end of the school day.
Please check your voicemail!
Friend Of Diversity Nominations
The Walled Lake Schools have created an award to honor individuals who are true friends of multicultural diversity. We hope you will join us in an effort that will result in the selection of a FRIEND OF DIVERSITY. This honor will be bestowed on the recipient(s) at the district-wide Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Celebration on Monday, January 20, 2020.
The WL Diversity Committee hopes that each school building will nominate at least one staff member, student, and parent or community member for the Alec Bender Friend of Diversity Award.
Nominations will be submitted to the Walled Lake School Central Office administration for final selection.
Nomination forms should be returned to your school principal no later than Wednesday, November 20, 2019.
We recognize that holidays are an important time for reconnecting with families far away. The costs of plane tickets often influence when you want to travel. But keep in mind the costs to your children’s education if they miss too much school— and the message you will be sending about the importance of attendance. It is virtually impossible make up for the interaction and learning that happens in the classroom. Our teachers will be teaching, and our students will be learning, right up until vacation starts and the first day back.
Walled Lake Western is proud to present Roger and Hammerstein’s “Cinderella” on November 15-17 and November 22-24. This 2013 re-write features empowered female characters and the overarching theme of courage and kindness.Tickets are currently available at www.wlcstickets.com
- 5th Grade Music Revue 7:00 pm in the gymnasium
Friday, November 22nd
- 1/2 day: Staff Professional Learning Dismissal at 11:35 am
Thursday- Friday November 27 -28th
- No School:Thanksgiving Vacation
Monday, December 2nd - Friday, December 6th
- PTA Scholastic Book Fair (details coming soon)
Wednesday, December 4th
- 1/2 day: Staff Professional Learning Dismissal at 11:35 am
Wednesday, December 11th
- Report Cards post in Family Access after 4:00 pm
Thursday, December 12th
- Parent/Teacher Conferences 11:30 - 7:30 pm
- Early dismissal 10:35 am
Tuesday, December 17th
- Oakley Park Songsters Holiday Concert 7:00 pm
Friday, December 20th
- Last of school -Winter break begins
Monday, January 6th
- School Resumes
Breakfast & Lunch Information
*Student purchasing breakfast may enter the building at 8:00. Or as soon as their bus arrives.
Please note: In the event of a snow day/school cancellation, the scheduled menu items shift to the following day. The menu for the remainder of the week remains the same.
Due to various circumstances, the menu is subject to change. Using the links below (or links through the Oakley Park website) you can access the most up to date menus.
Oakley Park School Times
Drop off begins: 7:55 AM
First Bell: 8:00 AM (Owl Drop off and walkers may enter the building)
Second Bell: 8:02 AM (buses release students)
Late Bell: 8:05 AM
Dismissal: 3:10 PM
Karen Clark, Principals Secretary
Kim Waling, Building Secretary