1st Week of September
Dear Moraine Families,
After meeting many of our students and families last week, it is clear that our entire Moraine community is welcoming the start of the new year! Through many conversations with students, staff, and families, a few themes emerged:
Gratitude: For the Moraine staff and for the people we share our community with
Perseverance: Finding the strength to make it through a challenging couple years
Productive Struggle: If we want our children to learn to be successful, they need to know that they can overcome challenges
Community: We are surrounded by caring people and we're better together
During our first few weeks of school our teachers' main focus will be on building classroom community and learning procedures. Getting back into a routine is essential. Children thrive from routine, and that lack of routine can lead to anxiety and stress. Taking the time to during the first weeks of school to get to know students, build new routines, and establish trust is imperative. Without these things it will be difficult for our students to learn new academic information.
Finally, a HUGE Moraine welcome to Ms. Morgen Salah, who will be teaching PE on Thursday afternoons. She comes to us from Ridge Wood Elementary. She'll be joining Mr. Dicken (PE), Ms. Martell (2nd Grade), and Ms. Byers (School Social Worker) as enthusiastic additions to our staff. Go Penguins!
My hope is that your year is filled with connection, laughter, and growth. The three kids pictured to the right are the Reimann kids on their first day...all with their own unique style :) We look forward to welcoming our families back to Moraine!
Be well and talk soon,
Proud Principal of Moraine Elementary
Teaching for Learning for All!
In this newsletter, you will find:
- Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
- Annual Online Registration - Due Tuesday
- PTA Meeting - Tuesday, Moraine MPR, 9:30am
- Bus/Food Service
- Nuts About Science Registration
- 2022-23 Moraine School Calendar
- Moraine Snack Procedure and Birthday Treat Policy
- Moraine Student Handbook
- Infectious Disease Response to COVID, 2022-2023
First Day of School, Tuesday, September 6th
First PTA Meeting - Tuesday, September 6th, 9:30 am
3rd Grade Heritage Festival Field Trip - Friday, September 16th
1st Grade Maybury Farms Field Trip - Monday, September 19th
SAVE THE DATE: Moraine Picture Day - Thursday, September 29th
Moraine Fall Fling - Friday, October 14
2022-23 Moraine School Calendar
Back To School Information
School begins each day at 8:46am. Drop off begins at 8:30am.
- Front Entrance: Kindergarten, 1st Grade, Ms. Munday and Ms. Meeks
- Door 42 (Located by 2nd/3rd Centrum): 2nd and 3rd Grade
- Bus Loop Entrance: 4th Grade Students, Ms. Witter
The school day ends at 3:45pm.
Using the Car Loop!
To keep our kids safe and an efficient line, please follow our arrival/dismissal procedures! A reminder that arrival does not begin until 8:30am and there is no student supervision prior to this time.
Moraine uses a bus loop at arrival and dismissal - no other vehicles are permitted to use the west bus loop during these times.
- Pull all the way forward until you can stop and immediately drop off your child as soon as you are next to the sidewalk.
- It is not necessary to hold up the line by waiting until you are in front of the entry doors to drop off your child.
- If you have to put your car in park for any reason, including if you are removing your child from a car seat, you must use the parking lot.
- Practice having your child repeat their dismissal plan to you.
Your family should display a name card on the right hand side of the dashboard and visible through the windshield. A BIG and BOLD name displayed assists our dismissal team with having your child ready to enter your vehicle.
If your child requires assistance, you may wish to park your vehicle in the parking lot and greet your child outside of their classroom door upon dismissal.
- NEW - To avoid a dangerous backup on the westbound 8 mine left turn lane, we will be using a double lane dismissal. Eastbound 8 mile traffic will use the lane closest to the sidewalk and the Westbound 8 mile traffic will use the next lane over.
Please use kindness, courtesy, and patience for a safe, efficient dismissal!
Hot lunch program for interested students
Note: The Free Meals Program has ended. Previously funded by the government, recently this program was declined through Congress. See the previous Raft for more detail.
Families must preorder lunches for preschools and elementary students. Orders must be in by 8:30 AM for elementary students to receive a lunch that day. The system will not allow you to order after the time listed above. For your convenience, meals can be preordered up to 30 days in advance. To avoid any issues, we recommend ordering the night before.
Come join us for the PTA's first meeting of the year on September 6th, 2022 at 9:30 am (after drop off) in the multipurpose room.
The Penguin Pledge is NOW OPEN to help support field trips, engaging assemblies, staff grants, and more! Our goal this year is to top $15,000 to ensure all the amazing opportunities our PTA has planned can happen this year!
Moraine PTA Executive Board
ANNUAL REGISTRATION DUE TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 6TH
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year!
All new and returning families: It's time to fill out your required online Annual Registration!
Every year, all families (including those who recently enrolled) are required to fill out the digital Annual Registration for each student. Families may complete these forms through MiStar ParentConnection. Through this process you will be asked to update your student’s emergency contact information, home address and health information, review our technology use policy and student handbooks, learn more about PTSA/PTA, access the web store and much more.
Need Help? Many of the most commonly asked questions can be found on our FAQs page (located in the upper right-hand corner of ParentConnection.) If you have further questions, please email the helpdesk at email@example.com
- All elementary students must have the Annual Registration completed prior to the start of school on Tuesday, September 6, 2022.
Nuts About Science Is Coming to Moraine!
Science Explorers! Students explore the many fields of science in this session!
We explore wacky and weird weather phenomena, learn about germs,
buoyancy, a few magic tricks, become CSI detectives and much more!
Who: Students in Grades 1st-5th
When: 3:45-5:00 pm on Tuesdays; 9/27, 10/4, 10/11, 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8 (make-up
date is 11/15 if a class is cancelled)
Where: Room 19
Tuition: $187 per student; $152 for student with parent helper, parent helpers must
attend all 7 weeks. All materials are included. ($7 of each student’s tuition goes to Moraine
1. Visit our website at: www.nutsaboutscience.com
2. Click on the REGISTER button on the home page
3. Follow the payment steps (Credit cards and PayPal accepted)
4. After payment is completed you will be redirected to fill in the student information form.
If you are not redirected to the form, contact Jennifer Price at
* Registration opens September 6th at 8 am and closes September 19th at 11pm
Let Grow Project!
Northville Council of PTAs present the Let Grow Project!
When Adults Step Back, Kids Step Up
At Let Grow, we believe today’s kids are smarter and stronger than our culture gives them credit for.
Treating them as physically and emotionally fragile is bad for their future — and ours.
Let Grow is making it easy, normal and legal to give kids the independence they need to grow into capable, confident, and happy adults.