Family Link March 2023
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics created National Nutrition Month in 1973, in which they invite everyone "to learn about making informed food choices and developing healthful eating and physical activity habits."
Check out some of their tips for Healthy Eating:
Have some fun with a Nutrition Crossword
Find more resources, in multiple languages, and fun ways to get involved at
Dates to Remember
Healthy Eating is a Foundation for School Success
How does healthy eating promote school success?
- Improved nutrition increases brain function.
- Good nutrition leads to healthy children, which means fewer absences from school.
- A balanced diet lowers behavior problems and allows children to focus on learning.
What can you do as a family to promote healthy eating?
- Connect at mealtimes - Sit down together for a meal and turn off electronic devices to focus on each other.
- Plan out meals - Reduce stress at mealtimes by planning out meals before the week starts.
- Let everyone help - Younger kids can mix ingredients, wash produce, or set the table, while older kids can help with ingredients.
- Serve a variety of foods - Include choices from each food group (fruits, vegetables, grains, protein, and dairy).
- Let kids choose - Get kids involved in meal prep and serve meals "family style" to encourage kids to be creative with their plates.
Gun Violence Intervention Team (GVIT)
Learn more about GVIT, why gun violence is a public health issue, and how evidence-based methods can help reduce the incidence of gun violence.
Quarterly community meeting and panel discussion:
March 2, 2023, 5:00-6:30pm
The meeting is hybrid, with the option to join in person or virtually.
For more information, visit the Gun Violence Intervention website.
Sextortion: The Hidden Pandemic
Learn how to protect your children from sextortion.
- After the film there will be a brief panel discussion and Q&A.
- Broadneck High School: March 8, 6pm
- Meade High School, May 4, 6pm
Brought to you by the Office of Health, Physical Education, and Dance,
with the Homeland Security Signature Program (Meade High).
Summer @ AACPS
AACPS has planned a wide range of summer programs for elementary, middle and high school students. Programs will be focused on helping students engage in enrichment or unfinished learning, with a focus on mathematics, literacy, and preparing for the next grade level. All programs will support students to have fun while building healthy relationships with peers, practicing skills, and learning new concepts.
Learn more and register at aacps.org/summer!
Explore with Recreation & Parks
Spring & Summer Classes
Enjoy the warmer weather and take a look at what Recreation & Parks has to offer. There is not a better time to learn something new and not a better place to be!
Anne Arundel Recreation and Parks is THE destination for camps and programs for ALL AGES! There are many day camp opportunities for all abilities.
Prepare for your Upcoming Test & Career @ Your Library
Visit this online resource at Anne Arundel County Public Library for test and career preparation help!
Peterson's Test and Career Prep includes Peterson's college and graduate school directories, SAT, AP, citizenship, TOEFL, and civil service online practice tests, other practice test preparation eBooks, a resume builder, financial aid, and scholarship information.
Volunteer of the Month
February 2023 Volunteer of the Month
Eva Reynolds, Pasadena Elementary School
"Mrs. Reynolds is the epitome of an outstanding volunteer, displaying her commitment to do for others in the myriad of things she does for the school, and her care to make all students feel loved and special."
Free Virtual Homework Help and Tutoring
For Elementary, Middle, and High School Students
- World Languages
- Social Studies
For more information, visit http://www.aacps.org/tutoring
Information Sessions for Family Academy
Virtual Sessions, all begin at 6:00pm:
- March 27
- April 27
- May 23
In-person Spanish sessions, all begin at 6:00pm
- March 22 - Brock Bridge ES
- April 20 - Lothian ES
- May 4 - Mills-Parole ES