Tools and Resources
What is Digital Storytelling?
Digital Storytelling is the modern expression of the ancient art of storytelling. Digital stories derive their power through weaving images, music, video and voice together, thereby giving deep dimension and vivid color to characters, situations, and insights.
Digital stories are inherently easy to replicate and share.
Digital stories are not constrained to text, but can make use of imagery, audio, video, and socialvaffordances available in the medium.
- Digital storytelling can foster innovation and creativity as there are unlimited genres & forms available for expression.
Benefits of Digital Storytelling:
- Digital creations are easily kept for long-term purposes
- Parents can view and comment on student works throughout the year.
- Parents can see learning as it's happening.
- Encourages children.
There is a fee for Wobooks, but you can have 5 for free! You can make more books, but you can only have 5 saved at a time.
- can upload documents, pdf
- online and mobile access
- can illustrate or write your own book or collaborate
- flipbook (flip pg-by-pg)
- 3D ebook
- Private or public
- You get five free books if you'd like to use it
- Can see examples of books others have created
- Students create a page (ex. through Pages), saved as PDF, and then teacher compiles intoWobook
- can embed into a wiki or website
- upload a powerpoint to create a book
Mixbook for Educators
(app called mosaic)
Mixbook is free to create but there are fees to print
EDU features geared for students (photo books, cards, calendars)
Choice of themes, backgrounds, layouts, stickers, fonts
Share with parents, friends and family
Offers educator discount for printed books (such as yearbook)
Use for Bio project for this year.
Use for Science Camp fundraiser. ABC about Science Camp to introduce camp to students and get
students excited about going.
Possible use as fundraiser (sports team, student art, student poems, etc)
Can add collaborators
Settings--> choose who can see it "Only those with link" is great for students
>> Idea: use PicMonkey.com to modify photos before placing into Mixbook
Narrable uses storytelling through images and narrations to engage
students and to draw out important higher order thinking skills.
record voice with built in microphone, or mobile phone
Thinglink has educator accounts where you can set up student accounts
free but do have a premium paid for account as well with more bells and whistles
Can make a static image interactive
There is a Thinglink challenge going on now: http://thinglinkblog.com/. Fun projects, neat sharing.
Use thinglink for xmas around the world project...image of maps from country being studied and place links with information about traditions, foods, music, recipes etc.
Photos for Books
Create your books with photos from Picasa, Flickr, SmugMug, Photobucket
Online templates or customizable layouts, text editing
Create beautiful, streamed photobooks
Embed your books into your websites
Very similar to Mixbook
Good for photos
free photo editor
offers some personalization for digital yearbooks