Iditarod: Behind The Scenes
By: Derric Butta Jr. and Corey Parham
How it started
About the adventures of the dogs and mushers
- At least one dog has died in every race
- Most mushers start with 16 dogs
- In 2016, one musher only started with 12 dogs
- Dogs burn up to 12000 calories
About the checkpoints
- Located in villages
- Mushers feed their dogs fat at checkpoints
- Mushers must lay straw for their dogs
- There are 27 checkpoints
Crane, Cody. "Cool Runnings." Science World (Vol. 65, No. 10). 23 Feb. 2009: 8+. SIRS Discoverer. Web. 11 Apr. 2016.
"Iditarod." Iditarod -Last Great Race. Iditarod Trail Committee, 2016. Web. 09 Mar. 2016
Royte, Elizabeth. "Mush, Mush, Mush, Dammit, Mush!." Outside. Dec. 1996: 120+. SIRS Issues Researcher. Web. 12 Apr. 2016.