Fifth Grade PEAK
- We finished writing our feature magazine articles.
- Ask an Expert: Please click on the link and submit a minimum of 3 questions to our brain experts. You and your child should collaborate on 3 thought-provoking questions. I will send the link to your child's email account but I would like this to be completed at home with parent guidance. This should be completed prior to Monday, April 6. The questions will be given to each brain expert and the experts will prepare answers for our video taped panel. We will host an "Ask the Expert" Panel with 2nd and 3rd grade audience members asking questions to our panel. This will require students to think on their feet and really have an excellent grasp of their research material. Link to Survey (Seen below as well).
Science: We worked on our solar collector tri-fold displays - wow! I am impressed with the students' creativity.
Topic Study: Students are working on finishing one project to share at the end of the year. We are striving for depth and complexity of knowledge. Your child should be an expert about his/her topic.
Personal Growth and Development
- Personality Style inventories: Students are completing a series of personality inventories. After each inventory, students write reflections and discuss outcomes with peers. Our purpose is to focus on ourselves as learners and learn how to maximize our learning opportunities and get along with our peers.
Topics covered so far include:
- Intrinsic vs. Extrinsic motivation
- Optimism vs. Pessimism
- Introvert vs. Extrovert
- Learning Style Inventory (Auditory, Kinesthetic, Visual)
- Online Learning Style Inventory (Multiple Intelligence Theory)
- Personality object (Blackberry, Teddybear, Magnifying Glass, and Spinning Top)
- Communication Style #1 and Communication Style #2
- Right Brain vs. Left Brain
- How many Personas do you have? (public vs. private)
- Handwriting style personalty assessment.
- Students read chapter 1-6 in the book: What to Do When Good Enough Isn't Good Enough - the real deal on perfectionism.
- Students worked on their own Google Site -- we will use it as a portfolio to house PEAK work
- Students participated in an on-line quiz game that tested students' knowledge on the scientific method. The students have learned a lot about science this year!!!!
- We have organized our Google Drives
- Practiced sharing and saving documents
- Bookmarked important websites
- Actively working in Google Classroom
- Set up an account for our note taking research
- Online Graphic Organizer tool to organize headings and subheadings
- Set up a PEAK Powtoons account -- many have completed a vocabulary presentation in topic study via Powtoons.
Classroom Book Source:
- Students learned how to check out books electronically from my classroom library.
- There is a link on my student resource page for students to "Tweet" about the day. We will post 5 tweets a week on my classroom board - some even make it to real twitter.
- Please follow me on twitter - you never know when a tweet will post about your child's PEAK day!
Create a Graph:
- Applied our knowledge on how to make graphs online
- Online note taking application used during Topic Study