Preparing to Blend
resources and online learning options for blended learning
Birdville Blended: A Raise Your Hand Texas demonstration site
- 2016-17 9th grade English 1 blended (station rotations & flipped)
- 2017-18 8th grade ELAR & 10th English 2 (station rotations & flipped)
- 2018-19 6th & 7th ELA (station rotations & flipped)
* end of grant = 6-10th ELA will be blended
- 2017-18 Shannon High School Flex Model
Resources and information about the Raising Blended Learners Initiative.
Blended Learning Definitions
blended learning is a formal education program in which a student learns:
(1) at least in part through online learning, with some element of student control over time, place, path, and/or pace;
(2) at least in part in a supervised brick-and-mortar location away from home;
(3) and the modalities along each student’s learning path within a course or subject are connected to provide an integrated learning experience.
rotation model is a course or subject in which students rotate on a ﬁxed schedule or at the teacher’s discretion between learning modalities, at least one of which is online learning. Other modalities might include activities such as small-group or full-class instruction, group projects, individual tutoring, and pencil-and-paper assignments. The students learn mostly on the brick-and-mortar campus, except for any homework assignments.
flipped classroom is a course or subject in which students participate in online learning off-site in place of traditional homework and then attend the brick-and-mortar school for face-to-face, teacher-guided practice or projects. The primary delivery of content and instruction is online, which differentiates a Flipped Classroom from students who are merely doing homework practice online at night.
The Christensen Institute provides training and resources to support educational innovation.
Relay Learning Modules
These online learning modules provide a background in blended learning practices and models with videos and examples of successful applications.
Click here to enter the BISD Canvas Relay Learning modules.
Catlin Tucker: Blended Learning Expert
Catlin Tucker is an ELA teacher who uses blended learning models in her class. She provides many practical resources for all content areas.
Tools & Resources for Teachers Who Blend!
EdSurge article written by a high school student who gives advice to teachers of blended learning. Practical and insightful information.
Background on the rise and spread of blended learning in US education.