By: Yujeena, Clay, Camille, and Jordan
Three estates (social classes)
- 3- everybody else
- Government was an absolute monarchy
Taxes started because the extensive debt Louis XVI caused
- Everyone was represented in Estates-General
What the people thought-
- The separation of powers was a must have in order to sustain order in an empire and not all the power was in one mans hands. The people in France wanted the power to be spread out and not have an Absolute monarchy. They thought there was a need for checks and balances to limit the power of certain branches of government.
- The People in France were beginning to hear about ideas about enlightenment. They began to call for liberty, and equality. The common people didn't have enough rights and say in government. They made a document called "the rights of man and citizens" and by creating that document, the king got mad. They're new constitution brought everyone rights. The people wanted to create a republic.
- Writings made the people question monarchy's and the church
- Brought back ideas of freedom to everyone and equal rights
Only 3rd estate ended up paying taxes
Debt from Louis XVI's wars (Seven Years War & American Revolution)
All of France was considered bankrupt
High estates "refused" to pay taxes
Financial crisis, French was in a debt of 4 billion livres (French Currency) after making a contribution to the American Revolution.
Lack of food for the common people
1788 bad harvests
Throughout the 1800s the literatures of the enlightenment increased criticism in direct democracy.
since 1770 50% of the people in the urban area were unemployed and couldn't feed themselves. The shortage of food led to rioting and looting
- Members of the lower classes began to go against their lack of power in the government.
Representatives of France-
Didn't make a democracy
Ended supreme rule by French kings
strengthened middle class
New French constitution
less power for the monarch